• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

^Make sure you add a grilled cheese to that, Tath. Winter lunch goodness! :D

Originally posted by Amazon Bee
oooh man im trying this!

Let me know how it turns out! Sorry my directions sucked...I was drunk and/or high when I typed them.

^no, they sound pretty clear to me, ill improvise if i need to. ill probably get to the store for the ingredients tonight or 2moro :D

i have a question on food prep... how does one steam veggies? do i need any particular hardware, other than simple pots and pans? im imagining one of those fold out metal colander doohickeys.. let's look for a pic, im being vague.8)

a-ha!
117046.jpg
<<<<<<is this thing integral to the steaming process?

how about stir-fry? do i need a wok, or can i stirfry smaller portions in a big frying pan? what sauces (besides soysauce, i think my mom used oyster sauce too) are yummy in stirfries? other spices?

lastly, on the veggie tip, ive been mostly sauteing mushies and onions, shallots, garlic, green onions etc with a bit of olive oil. maybe a splash of (oh lord spelling) worchestershire if it's going on top of steak. how do others saute? i assume there are more interesting + flavorful options here.

a lot of people mentioned they roast veggies along with stuff in the oven, ill have to try that! the only other thing ive tried is to put something like a portobello mushroom in a tinfoil pocket on the grill next to the meat. yummer

:D

^ditto. or a microwave steamer from pampered chef:

2778_200.jpg

2776_200.jpg

(on the pampered chef site, its actually called a micro-cooker. its f'in awesome. the vent lid doubles as a strainer so you can boil pasta in it, steam veggies, whatever. then just flip -- the lid latches -- and drain... then season and serve!)

^oh my god i have one of those! gabe's mom gave it to us when we moved, i never had any clue what it was for! lol, well that works out kinda nice. :)

yeah mine is a reddish color-- i love it. its a lot faster than steaming stovetop, too. experiment with it to see what times, amounts of water, etc... you personally like.

:)

i had one of those on my list of what people could buy me for wedding presents. never got one though :( ive also found that cooking the veggies in a covered pan works better than a collander type deal.

I feel really lucky that at an early age I took an intrest in learning my grandmother's old recipies. Her family originated from the South and claims that's where she got all her cooking recipies from.

Some of my favorites are her:
- Pig-outs (biscuits)
- Chicken and Noodles (with, of course, home made noodles mmmm)
- mashed potatoes
- parfaits! (home made ice cream is the shizzit)

chrissie said:
ive also found that cooking the veggies in a covered pan works better than a collander type deal.

all right, good news. i called my mom for cooking advice about what herbs i should get and i asked how she used to steam things and she said the same thing.. :) ask and bee shall recieve~ thx

AmorRoark said:

- Pig-outs (biscuits)
- Chicken and Noodles (with, of course, home made noodles mmmm)
- parfaits! (home made ice cream is the shizzit)

mmm i love southern cooking! my dad is in new orleans, i just spent a month there after xmas and ate like a queen.

what's in Pig-outs? i make biscuits n gravy often for brekkie, one of my favorites.

i get pasta from this italian family deli nearby, but i wish i could make my own.

... do you remember if you needed an "ice-cream maker" device? gosh that sounds like heaven, i adore ice cream. i wish i knew your grandmother!

Amazon <3
I'm not sure all the ingrediants in the pigouts.. but I'll type it out when I get home.

Yeah, we made the ice cream with a maker.. it was kind of hard. I image it was what churing butter was like. But oh was it yummy!

My grandmother is my favorite relative. :)

^my grandmother's cooking is the BEST. I get upset now that I've moved away when she makes big dinners for the whole family. I won't even let my mother tell me what she made...I'm so jealous. Southern food > all.

This thread has inspired me to start playing housewife for LL =D

anyone have any recipes on how to make a good roast?

yes. buy a CROCK POT!!!

then slice veggies and start roastin. lots of onions, carrots, and potatoes. FRESH garlic, COURSE salt, and CRACKED pepper. simmer alllll daaaaay lonnnnng.

this is also awesome with pork loin/chops. throw some saurkraut, potatoes, carrots and onions in a crock pot. slice a granny smith apple and add salt and pepper. start roastin. the meat falls off the bone at the end and its fuckin amazing.

if you dont have a crock pot, you can do the same with a pan/foil in the oven. just keep spooning juices over it as it cooks. mmm.

that sounds like pot roast...which i know how to make. I wanna make a rib roast so to speak, which i wouldnt want in a crock pot. my mom makes a wonderful one but its very spicey and my bf cant handle any spice :|

oohhh sorry jamie.

chissie: honestly, probably not. haha. im really picky about it, though, which is probably thanks to my favorite cookbooks being jamie oliver's and he always has to add in that he used course ground or sea salt (same things really) and cracked black pepper. it makes a dish so much tastier rather than typical iodized/ground.

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK!!!! w/ mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn. All I can say is moderate your intake. Mmmm.

dc_img_cf_steak.jpg

PS: They make specific sauces for stir frying, but soy, oyster, sesame oil, etc are often used. The key to stir fry is getting the pan really HOT (think 400-500F) and cooking it really fast with lots of stirring. Be careful not to catch your oil on fire..or at least be prepared if it does.

Last edited:
For stir frying, just an FYI, it is not good to fry in olive oil as it denatures at normal cooking temperatures.

For cooking, the best oils are coconut and palm. If those aren't available peanut and canola are decent.