1 (15 ounce) can chili
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a smaller inch baking dish. Tear up the
hot dog buns and arrange the pieces in the bottom of the dish evenly. Slice
the hot dogs into bite size pieces and layer the pieces over the buns. Pour
the chili over the hot dogs, sprinkle with the chopped onion, then spread
some mustard over the chili and the onion. Top off with the cheese. Bake fo 30 minutes.

^as much as that sounds like vomit- i really want to make and eat it=D

fry onion and garlic in a pan, add tin chopped tomato,mixed dried herbs, sprinkle on half a beef oxo cube, roughly chopped mushrooms- et viola serve over pasta add tons of grated cheese=D

^I'd like to add to that if I may.

I would do all that the same, but try to simmer the sauce for as long a possible. The longer you cook tomatoes, the sweeter they get :)

Last time I made pasta sauce, just like how you said to there, it was so thin and watery that it wasn't up to much.

or for a fancy sauce....
get 6 large tomatoes, score each of them at an angle once to break the skin slightly, place in boiling water for a few minutes,remove, plunge in cold water then peel skins off.

cut each tomato carefully in half and place on a baking tray, on top of each half add some onion, garlic, basil/mixed herbs and olive oil- bake on a high heat for half an hour- remove tomatoes and stick in a pan for roughly mashed sauce or blender for a fine sauce. again serve with pasta and lots of cheese.

tg it goes without saying for me that everything is slow cooked- tis not uncommon for me to make sauces the night before simmering away and then reheat/cook the next day so all the flavours are mmmmmmm, plus that deals with the watery problem that spade pointed out. double cooking saucy food seems to make everything thicker and richer.....YUM!

So to thicken up sauce just simmer for a long time then?

On a slightly different topic I read on some website that the best mince is mince that's cooked for between 1hr - 2hrs. I usually only simmer for like 20 mins, should I be doing it for longer to get a fuller taste and thicker gravy?

my god yes man!! as said above some of the BEST and i mean best mince i've had has been made day one simmering for about twenty minutes to half an hour, left, then recooked the next day for about half an hour to fourty mins......especially if there's some good red wine in the food- sooo rich and thick, be warned when you lift the lid day two it will look rank cos any fat will have solidifyed and stuck to the top in big globules....but so utterly mindblowingly yummy once cooked again! and the plus side is this way the meat isn't overcooked from being on for hours and the sauce is naturally thick and tasty.

Ah right so if you left it on for an over or so at once it'd be a bit over cooked?

How long should you be simmering mince for anyway, I never know and usually just opt for about 20 mins.

i swear i'm gonna die from eating four day old food- though i have never gotten ill from it=D chris just wrinkles his nose whilst i tuck into three day old lasagne....super yum yum!!

another favorite treat is chicken and bacon pie.....

chicken cubed,
bacon cut into strips
onion
garlic
flour
milk
cheeseeeeee
puff pastry

sautee onions and garlic in a pan till soft, add chicken cubes and raise the temperature so the chicken seals quickly.
in another pan add flour and milk and whisk vigorously. or you can use a packet sauce( we don't own scales so i bung everything in and add more milk/flour as needed=D).once sauce is to yummy smooth consistancy add bacon to the chicken/onion stuff and add the cheese to the sauce.
once bacon is cooked and the cheese is mixed into the sauce add sauce to chicken.......here you can wither line a pie dish with pastry and bake for 10minutes so the bottom is cooked slightly before adding the filling or you can do what i do and add the filling to a hot ceramic dish and just put pastry on the top. bake on high heat for about 40minutes. again i usually make the pie in the morning. let it cool and cook in the evening so the sauce is yummy!!

you can also add mushrooms to the pie filling but remember when doing this they will make the inside runnier as they release water.

serve with new potatoe or mashed potato and green veggies.

TheSpade said:
Ah right so if you left it on for an over or so at once it'd be a bit over cooked?

How long should you be simmering mince for anyway, I never know and usually just opt for about 20 mins.

i personally find cooking mince for an hour solidly makes it go rubbery and horrid- tis better in my opinion to cook for half an hour and reheat for another half an hour(this is probably not a healthy way of cooking but tastes damn good)
any meat is super yummy if left to sit in it's own juice/sauce.

Why would it not be a healthy way of cooking to heat then reheat?

I quite like trying to eat healthy. Failed a bit today, had a frozen pizza. After me claiming I was trying to get pre-packaged / processed foods out of my diet as well, least it was only a thin n crispy one and not one of those thick, cheesey as fuck, with cheesed stuffed crust, greasy, all your daily calorie intake in one day affairs though. ;)

One of those big heart attack pizzas with more cheese and fat than you thought was humanly possible? YUK!

They really aren't nice, my mates always eating them and they look and taste rank.

My flat mate lives on them, jumbo sausage suppers and chips n cheese. :D