the quiet.... late night drug fuelled conversations with your doppleganger

pinger

Bluelighter
stoned; ramblings; fucked;
the other night during a conversation, a good friend of mine who doesn’t take pills asked me why i took ecstasy. i plainly struggled to articulate my emotions, without it sounding like a glowing info-mercial or a guilty justification of ecstasy. which frustrated and intrigued me nonetheless.
which logically led me to ponder for myself the reason(s) i do take e. this line of thought is not new to me, i have been flicking it around my drug use for years like a cat with a dead mouse. It has been a progression of analyses of what really makes me tick. after all, taking drugs usually strikes at the heart of what makes us happy, sad, laugh and cry pretty quickly. it is the stimulus to a response. it’s the reason and the answer and the problem.
i’ve come to realise that for me e is a release (an escape?).
what about me? educated, rewarded, rounded, secure, sated. but occasionally i take e to get away from it.
so why?
well, that’s a bit harder isn’t it. i am a firm believer in what the dalai llama says about happiness, in that if you compare yourself to other people you will never truly be happy. that’s not to say we don’t all do it in some small way or another (consciously ot otherwise), but hanging your self image in direct competition to what the world puts on display in the shop window is a dangerous process. so, i don’t take e to improve my self image, happiness, confidence or other. but that’s not to say i don’t enjoy the leg up it gives me in these areas at the same time.
reverting to old tricks (something i ALWAYS do to prospective girlfriends), i looked at my bookshelf at home and wrote down the books i’ve loved the most, and it doesn’t take sigmund freud to start to join the dots. a selection of faves?- hunter s thompson, kesey, kerouac. what made their stories affecting, intoxicating, and liberating for me? it was their very prescence, which naturally disagreed with everything society threw at them as important at the time. morals, possessions, authority didn’t add up for these guys. they weren’t born with these attitudes, but they were forced to rail against them by the very unique nature of the blood in their veins. you see it’s that unintentional inability to fit "into the programming" (apologies vietvet) which holds me fascinated. certain people walk to a completely different remix than most. the anti-norm. counter-conformist. weird fuckers
just to qualify that i’m not comparing myself to these people, just what attracts me to their persona’s.
so it’s this freedom that these guys seems to capture (although at the time i’m sure middle america considered them mad). but freedom from what? i’m not oppressed. i’m as apathetic as the next australian (sorry, the oz tourism commission likes to call it "laid back ocker charm"). i’m not trapped by a mortgage or relationship or contract. i’m educated and empowered to excercise free will. i’m financially secure, enough to pack up and travel for a couple of years. i choose to do the work i do. i choose to stay on the left hand side of the road. friend or not, my choice. eat that meat pie, toss a coin. another beer, think i will.
so where am i escaping to? well, it’s like a void really. a place with no noise. just me. selfish i know. you must know it too. the feeling when you are on the dancefloor, with the music and lasers and people just going nuts until it almost gets too much and you clench your eyes shut. youve lost identity, and purposeful consciousness. you notice your scalp is sweating. That helps, and you relax. with your eyes closed you suddenly really notice the bass. fluffy and edible. and the bass melts into vibrations which buzz your skin like the fluttering of millions of little bee wings. you could be anywhere. you probably are. then you don’t notice the bass but now your tuned to that irregular snare roll that hits on the left and slides to the right. it sounds wide. that’s gone too and your left with the synthesised beats, which clamour for a moment within chaos before your brain grabs the snapping hose. now you’ve got the irregular bleeps and bleats syncopating until they fade out. and all that goes and it’s just quiet. spooky, brilliant quiet. a cocoon, a womb. you can still feel the music and energy but they are less a reality than the void now in which is your primary environment. your mind is unrestrained but it doesn’t want to go anywhere...
your own little world. fortress, whatever. it’s a curious place, and i’m getting better at finding with all sorts of drugs and exploring. i’m finding out alot about myself in the process, some good some bad. i may have my head up my arse literally but at least i understand and control the process.
so yeah, for me i think it’s about the quiet. the freedom and the escape. a state i’m learning to find with meditation rather than drugs, but certainly a place i don’t think i would have found without drugs. ive always experimented in moderation with drugs. "breadth not depth" is a quote my mate always uses to define my drugtaking resume. so it looks like my drug taking is becoming more introverted. less time running around massaging strangers and asking them questions, more time massaging my own brain and prodding it for some answers.
and in a way i see why there are candy kids. i’m kinda there myself, a cerebral candy kid, regressing mentally, lessening the noise, finding a simpler place. looking for those memories i’ve locked away, the imagination i’ve conditioned from me. it’s locked away well. but we only put good locks on things that are valuable.
so what about you, whispering reader...
are you killing pain? does it help you to forget?
are you seeking to belong? do you need to feel?
are you looking for yourself? does e get you closer?
are you capturing your youth? do you bathe in false imagination?
are you escaping your youth? can you push through the wait?
pinger
curiousity is the lust of the mind- someone

I often ponder these things myself.
I am not taking E to escape from anything, although sometimes I wake up in the morning and want to cry at the prospect of going to work. I never roll when I'm down. It is always to enhance whatever happiness I have at the time.
I think I am taking it to recapture my youth in some way. Not that I am old now (a ripe old 24 year old). To recapture the sense of excitment, wonder and awe that we all once had as a child. What excites me now? Work, no. Money, not really. Telvision and Movies, no. Sports and games, no.
The reason I do E is for the way it makes you look at everyone and everything through new eyes and with hope. I love my friends when I'm sober, but oh so much more when I'm rolling. This is real. It's not drug induced as so many people suggest. The drugs just give you the energy to pull from within what is already there.

I think its on impulse that i do E.U know its like impulse buying the reason why they have the candy right by the register so u buy it on ur way out.. Its the same impulse i get with my friends at raves sometimes i go sober cause i really like going sober but sometimes i just get the impulse to do E. Its all mental whatever makes me take E. I always learn new things like what my friends first thought of me when they met me sometimes its good and sometimes not.I m still trying to figure out how truthful people r on E. Some seem really truthful and others just say stuff because they are fucked up.

i think people may have many reasons to roll, i just started chomping like 6 months ago, and one of the things i like most is the oppurtunity to meet new people and the relaxed, deeper way it makes you think. ever since i 1st ate, i feel more at peace with myself even when i am sober, it was kinda like a mind opening experience. 1st time i rolled was at my friend's 18th birthday party at a hotel and i ate 2 pills and some really good liquid. ive tripped many many times, but i just like to drink more than anything else. i was a non-conformist punk rocker
frown.gif
who every1 hated. i was trippin face and the fed me a pill for like 15. 3hours later the gave me another for free. i was sooo fucked up. and the greatest thing was i just busted out with stix and ever since stix nad liquid just come so naturally. i thanked every1 the next morningever since then i have really changed my whole outlook on things.
i enjoy myself a lot more now and i hope i dont change any time soon
smile.gif

PLUR
-crass-

Wow. I was just thinking of starting a thread on this same topic. hehehe
I think the main reason i take E and go out is the sense of love and caring that, while admittedly may be synthesised through the drug, is so intense you could almost capture it in a bottle and take it home with you.
Every day as i drive around for work I see people getting angry and pissed off at the most mundane things. Like their chips at McDeath had a brown spot on it and they are roaring the counter girl. I think to myself "man, there must be more to your life then being angry about such a trivial thing. Its hardly that counter persons fault." This example, seems bad now but it just happened 5 minutes ago so its fresh
smile.gif

I think it absolutely horrific that in the past 20-30 year especially women have become absolutely terrified to walk the streets of cities in particular after hours. That really makes me sad. Have we really descended into a world of such madness where one human being cannot go for a walk without fear for his/her life?
Another example is I was walking at dusk along a road in the city, beautiful sunset ahead of me as well as some other female also going for a walk. Now I am the most normal looking person in the world, ie no eye rings, nose rings or any such (not that theres anything wrong with them at all - they rock - more work reasons
frown.gif
). But as soon as I simply comment to this female the magnificence of the sunset, she nods nervously and scurries away - fear evident, thought I know in myself I would never... nay could never intentionally hurt another person. I have never been in a fight and I am damn proud of that.
My point?
You talk to females at raves and they just adore the fact they can walk around on their own, talk to whoever they want, do whatever they want, and almost all have absolutely no fear of anything, apart from returning to that same depressing fearful world they must face come monday morning again.
I love PLUR and I love my own life - even if those around me don't love theirs.
Thanks for letting me share these personal thoughts
smile.gif

HappyCamper

I do E for many reasons like everyone else.
But one thing i have noticed about myself that overtime that i have changed greatly as a person because if E. My old friends that i Haven't seen in years would probably look at me totally different.
The posotive things that have been lighted upon me through E are the transitions that it has taken me through. chapter 1: When I first started dropping i was going to clubs, hanging with my friends, and hooking up with guys. Chapter 2: I turned into a music lover. I started listening to what the music was all about. Chapter 3: I tried other drugs at this point Chapter 4: i learned who my real friends were. While rolling with my friends i feel that i can look deep inside them and see what they are thinking. Sometimes i convince myself in my drug induced states that i am psychic.
Chapter 5: My last two months have been extremely rewarding. I have made friends, while rolling above all, that under other circumstances i don't think that i will have ever met. I made a friend who I am convinced is truly my soulmate. I have a deeper understanding of music that i feel only few know. Inside i am finding myself. There are negative aspects that have come along with drugs, but none that i would ever take back.
Inside i am so happy because I feel that even though i still have no major in school i am on a path of discovering myself that not many ever give themselves he chance to do.
In conclusion, sorry so long
E has been a learning experience. Now when i do it i look into myself for answers...

I started doing e because I found it to be more fun then heroin.
Sad but true, I have struggled with drug addiction for almost 12 years. Every drug I have been addicted to have led me to lead a different kind of life. With every new addiction came a new lifestyle.
When I came to the realization that I could not live without doing some kind of drug... E seemed to be the least harmful and most fun. Having lived a life without love, e filled a void for me. I never knew it was possible to hug a total stranger... to be kind for no reason. When I started doing e, I quit using other drugs... nothing came close to rolling. I thought I was safe.
I found friendship, belonging, and love with the help of a pill. Or so I thought. That faded after a couple of months. In the meantime I became part of a scene. And met some of the most caring, genuine people. True friends. The same friends who hooked me up with e, are the same friends encouriging me to party sober...
------------------
To dream of the person you want to be is to
waste the person you are.

Why do I do e ?
I don't know why I tried it the first time.. probably out of curiousity.
But now I do it to feel. I sit in an office all day, talking to boring people about trivial things. I go home, have some supper. Then I get to do some school work till I go to bed. Pretty dull, pretty boring.
But I always go out friday and saturday with my close group of amazing friends and we have fun. We dance, we talk, we get intimate with each other; we EXPERIENCE.
I think rolling has changed me as a person in a lot of ways. They say you have to hit rock bottom before you realize you're there. But what about the other end of the spectrum. Are you truly happy ?? How can you know if you're happy in your daily grind if you don't know the spectrum of feeling!! You can't say you're happy if you've never experienced pain and hardship. But how can you say you're happy if you've never experienced the happiest most intensely satiating moment ever!! When you're just peaking and you're with someone you love (it doesn't have to be intimate!!) and the guy at the decks starts to slow down the beats; the lights pan to the centre and there's a moment of near silence as people take a second to look around them; and the beat drops in...
I feel like I should be melting into a puddle of happiness any moment now....
I used to get angry at the littlest things. Now it takes a LOT to get me even a little miffed. I enjoy people intensely, I make new friends every week. I try and exude a PLUR attitude everywhere I go and rolling when I get the chance just affirms my belief that people don't have to be violent, stressed and angry if they only took off their shell and gave themselves a chance.
Rolling keeps everything else in my life in check.
... just my $0.02
~Sentinel

Good Question. I started doing E just to see what it was like. Then I got into the scene. I think the scene is more rewarding that the roll. You meet people. You don't worry about violence, as in a bar. And your around people with a genuine respect for their fellow man. I love the music.
As for an escape...of course. We live in a world where we have placed so many inhibitions on ourselves. With E, for once we are pushed away from the "walls" that our personalities have built that make us distrust so many people in our society that we see as different, to have our minds open.
I don't mean we should be like this all the time. Everything in moderation.
Peace,
Crow
------------------
"No one goes to heaven without a glo stick!"

As much fun as E may be, there is more to life then a drug induced feeling of love. I'm sorry to pop in here and ruin the vibe of the thread, but this seems like the perfect opportunity to say this.
I'm almost sure that the response I get to my post will be the same response I get from my friends when I try to change the subject of a conversation whose topic of interest is the last time everyone rolled together.
But hopefully there are at least a few people that know what I'm talking about on here.
I've done E a few times myself. All were good pills, and if you had some of the ones I had you'd say that they were the best you've ever had. But I'm just sick of how everyone I know makes E their number one pastime and topic of conversation.
When I talk to my friends on the phone sometimes, the conversation is usually about the next E trip, and when I try to change the subject I can tell right away how their mind wonders.
Someone up there said that their day to day life is pretty boring, and that's why they take E. If your life is boring, and the people in it are mundane, then maybe you need to do something about it, no?
Don't conform to our societies rules if you don't like them! But don't take E to try to escape them either. If your job is boring, then
quit, and find another one.
Life in itself is a trip. It dosn't need a boost to be any better.
E dosn't give you anything that you don't already have in you, it just helps you to bring it out. You can get the same results from years of meditation.
Timothy Leary once compared LSD to meditation. (LSD is not E for sure, but I'm trying to make a point about drug induced states of the mind). He said the state you're in, is as if you're standing on the tallest mountain peak in the world. Taking LSD to get to that state, is comparable to taking a helicopter up to that peak, while meditating is comparable to walking up the mountain to get to that peak.
Continuing with that analogy, if you walk up that mountain, your experiance at the top of that mountain will be so much more rewarding.
On the other hand, by taking a helicopter you're just a tourist, and you don't have the knowledge to make the most of your experiance.
By taking a drug such as E, and getting to your 'peak' that way, you're robbing yourself of a valuable experiance. You're not learning as much about yourself as you could by 'walking' up that 'mountain'.
I'm not saying E is bad. But realize that there is more to life then your next rolling trip. And realize that what you get from E, is already in you. You just need to learn to bring it out.
I can't wait to see the look on my friends faces when I tell them I don't want to roll with them next time.

hmmm. first...werks gets a medal because i really like what you have to say and quite agree...there is a creepy way of putting e up on an odd pedestal of sorts...i definitely found myself with e on my mind unreasonably often sometime ago. it is what initially brought me to bluelight...however long ago...when it was the old bluelight.
and then....i suppose when i roll it is mostly for the perfection of feeling when i dance. i love to dance anytime...but e definitely makes it all a lot smoother and softer and flowing. and e definitely made all that dancin self-consciousness fall away the second time i rolled and now i dance whenever and wherever. so that is cute. definitely the most precious thing e ever gave me...
and certain rolls have put me in that soft contented headspace where i can look at things with that drug-induced tender regard...though i don't think it is completely drug induced...i only find that spot when i am with good people, friends, favorites. good stuff.
there is also perhaps that sometimes feeling of really belonging to something or other for awhile as you are among a bunch of people with this same drug-induced mindset...but that is not so often with me...since it often rather creeps me out to see the grand excesses people go to with their pills...when people can't do anything but writhe around on the floor. i definitely prefer to function.
oh...and it is nice to be able to talk more easily...i don't really get chatty...but ease in conversation is much more natural. that is nice.
e is not an escape so much...i think i'm still pretty grounded in reality...i like to be clear headed, mmhmm...i think it gives me a softer (gee i keep sayin soft n i dunno if that is what i mean) perspective on things...an occasional glimpse of a way of looking at it all that is not really realistic...but reminds you to notice and feel more than you would otherwise. heh. or something. like that exquisite feeling of wind on your back through a sweatshirt when you are walking outside in the summer by the sea...for example...it is always there but you don't note it as powerfully as right then. nice. meditative.
hmm...or maybe it simplifies for awhile. e is a simple drug. not too much depth. happy. cutesy. smooth.
yep. so there.
a brief mentioning of what sucks about e though: excess, dopey shitty pills, occasional mindfog (shitty pills really), confusion about who is real and who is just nice when they are on drugs, mindless hedonism. and such.
good evenin.
strawberry