• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the publishing industry

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i searched "publishing," and nothing i was looking for came up. so i'm starting this one. how do you get into the publishing industry?

i don't want this thread to just be about my question, but as i don't have any advice... i want creative control/input in a or several literary and/or fashion (serial) publications.

so like magazines and journals. i don't know the first step. i have a BA in english creative writing. my portfolio of professional work is exactly that, professional work. what copy i do write is advertorial or like writing copy for brochures, newsletters, fundraising letters, blog posts for our company president, shit, social media posts. because i've somehow ended up in marketing. i also do not live in chicago or new york. that can change, but only with damn good reason. i don't mean i wanna be a writer for these publications, but if that's an in whatever. and it's something i could keep doing. when i say i don't want to, i mean that's not the goal. i can write, but i can find better. i can find great fashion and literary publications, but i think i can create even better.

edit:
oh yeah, and i hear the words intern and assistant a lot. i don't make a ton of money, but i'm making a bit more than shit. i have money saved up, can become dependent on my parents for a while, ask them for their help paying for a master's, all kinds of shit. i really want to make more than i currently am. i realize a temporary step in the other direction may be necessary to change course. again, this something really don't i want to do without result. and if a year's worth of marketing experience can help me bypass steps backward, awesome. publications need marketing. i've never got to market anything cool. only good. a career in marketing anything is not the goal. marketing might be my most likely and quickest in.

i was an editorial intern like 1 1/2 ago, but it was stupid, i didn't make any use of what little it could have been, and i do not have resulting connection. the closest i know is journalist -- who i give content from my company in exchange for promotion in their articles. but they are local journalist, and that's not the publishing industry i'm after. still might be a start? i don't know what the fuck i'd ask them though. "i wanna work in a market that's related to yours, but not quite the same, and i wanna do what your boss does in that market. any leads?" i dunno. i think i need to start getting my own work published, as opposed to printing copy people pay me to write.

Last edited:
Why not do both? Continue writing copy while working on your own stuff bit-by-bit?

I've tried for a very long time to get a job in the publishing industry. I had contacts, an internship, knew people, and have a background in editing and writing but the publishing industry is based on who you know and the experience you have. I would get interviews and then someone who had decades worth of experience would be interviewed and they'd get the job since they had a lot more experience than I do. Good luck.