The productions thread - Part III!

You really need to put time into beats and any music you make. Start something, work on it as much as you feel. Take a break sometimes and let creativity come back stronger. Might take hours or days, but once it hits you, you will improve the track so much and you'll feel proud and glad, because it was worth the wait. Don't rush it, it's not like you have a contract to make 30 beats in a month. Make one beat a month and you'll see how much you can improve it.
I use FL Studio 11. On my version, I use Parametric EQ 2, which is my favourite. The best was to learn about equalizing the sound is to play something like a snare or hihat on repeat and move the equalizers around, see how the sound changes. It takes practice and experience, but you'll get the hang of it.
Another part of mastering/mixing is changing the volume of each channel so it fits perfectly with all your instruments. Don't let the different sounds get lost or be too overwhelming. Panning is also one of the best ways to make your music feel more spacious and the sound have different sources (left, right, back or front).
The whole mastering/mixing process takes time to perfect and actually use, because there are a lot of elements to it, for example Reverb, delay, maximus, soundgoodizer, etc.
And this is just my way of describing what mastering/mixing is and how I use it.
There is a lot of complex ways to master a track, and I don't even know the full basics of it yet.
If you put time into it, man, it will be worth it. Experiment with every single plug-in and VST you have. See what it does. Once you are making a track, you'll remember that one plug-in you found an amazing effect or sound on and you will be able to make your track how you want it.

Another thing I can do for you is if you have the same version as me, you can send me the files through dropbox or any other way and I'll see how I can master the tracks. Not entirely sure if it's gonna work if I don't have the same plug-ins as you, but I'll give it a try.

that is really nice of you to offer do that. thank you for being honest.i know i'm getting stuck, catching some luck, but i need to focus on get to the next level. the advice you gave is excellent, came at the perfect time. next thing i post, it will be in awhile and sit will have to be something i am really satisfied with. maybe you can try to polish whatever comes of that approach.

thanks again for the advice and mix offer. you nice af homie. :)

that is really nice of you to offer do that. thank you for being honest.i know i'm getting stuck, catching some luck, but i need to focus on get to the next level. the advice you gave is excellent, came at the perfect time. next thing i post, it will be in awhile and sit will have to be something i am really satisfied with. maybe you can try to polish whatever comes of that approach.

thanks again for the advice and mix offer. you nice af homie. :)
It will be worth the wait man :)
I'll definitely help you out with anything.

Moved your ket tune to the productions thread. :)

Really liking the halftime d&b tune. Your ex-girlfriend has a nice voice.

Wouldn't it just be drumstep/halfstep or something? Quite raw/minimal & dark. I know little of D&B really though...

https://soundcloud.com/deepnbeeper/...ngels-signal-2-noise-remix-feat-the-3-complex

My now ex wrote some "mathematical" lyrics so I recorded her, rapped on top about flying into a black hole and from a halftime dnb template made this tune. Feedback? Also what genre does it sound like??? (curious to hear peoples opinions not pigeonhole myself)

dude... yes! your productions are super cool and unique.

genre ? your halftime dnb beat reminds me of well dnb/dubstep/ a lil bit uk garage. your bass lines and sounds you use are so strange and "alien" regardless, keep going down the path you are own. how you used your girls lyrics, i get a more like performance, spoken word vibe. i can picture you behind the knobs while she stands in front of the mic, waxin poetic.

if your drums/percussion sounded more like the stuff from portishead, it would fit right in with that trip hop vibe imo.

Last edited:
Your sound is very full Joe. I'd love to hear you make some pounding techno or something. %)
thanks for the feedback, and taking the time to bump the tunes. i'm sure i got some techno in me, just never know when it will come out LOL.
there is some pounding techno. kinda reminded of stuff on perc trax. solid foundation. maybe try adding some really sharp old school rave stabs, or even a sliced up drum break. to really get it going. just a thought.

yup, that's what i was thinking. around 4:20 is where it comes together for me ears. a track like this with the old school rave sound was in my mind when i replied .Drvg Cvltvre - The Crazies Are Coming

I did fiddle around with some stabs which I sampled from youtube, but I was too lazy to actually connect the keyboard or controller and the virtual keyboard in Reaper has a bit of a delay. Also a bit of concern I'm finding is that there's a lack of proper BPM analysis in Reaper (its under the hood somewhere I think), I think I'll have to reinstall Traktor for trying to get loops to match. Also, things tend to get muddy so Ill have to have a hard look at EQing.

understand. i'm finally gettin past the "laziness" when it comes to just like taking extra steps, tis a struggle, but gets easier with time. tracks like the one above, zomby... when producers are able to take those old school sounds and still make a track that doesn't like sound like it is "trying" amazes me, cause those sounds instantly associate with old school rave.

*need better acapella

Last edited: