• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The problem with Weed (neurochemistry/video)

Personally I think you would better make your point if you used your own words for your opinion on cannabis.

Thanks for posting.

Ok so if marijuana addiction makes it harder to break bad habits, which is agree with, does it go away?

I haven’t smoked weed in years but I wonder if weed set in motion my opioid addiction.

I think smoking heavy high grade marijuana from age 15-18 definitely fucked me up good

I don’t know about this theory… pretty shaky.

Also the best medical use for mj is opiate use disorder.. you have to be joking?

So it’s a good idea for opiate addiction, but promotes a stronger hold in addiction.. umm ??

Last edited:
marijuana amotivational syndrome can discourage personal change, but he is certainly making some unfounded leaps here and his presented ideas conflic fundamentally.

How many people that experience amotivational syndrome with cannabis would have it regardless of use.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of overthinking here. If you habitually smoke weed all day every day then you are of course going to be at risk of losing motivation. It's the same with any drug that is habit forming and produces a high. Individual circumstances will apply but I think this is only a discussion point because of weed's status as a "soft" drug. I know myself when I was heavily smoking, I'd get really irritatable and unmotivated if I couldn't smoke for whatever reason. I have friends now who rather than just going for a walk it's more like the walk is secondary to the act of having an outdoor smoke and they can get really pissed off if they can't find a nice spot to spark up. The weed is at that point no longer augmenting an experience (a nice walk outside) but has become the only experience.
The ancients already knew the key to life, everything in moderation.

I don’t know about this theory… pretty shaky.

Also the best medical use for mj is opiate use disorder.. you have to be joking?

marijuana amotivational syndrome can discourage personal change, but he is certainly making some unfounded leaps here and his presented ideas conflic fundamentally.

How many people that experience amotivational syndrome with cannabis would have it regardless of use.
Thanks for posting found it very interesting. They do state that amotivational syndrome was first 'devised' to explain cannabis users, I would say for me the cannabis plays a big role in my motivation and desires when I stop for a few days or a week things are really quite different but I find it hard to do this. Cannabis 100% helped me get off opiates but that also is related the fact that... "studies have determined that the analgesic effect of THC is, at least in part, mediated through delta and kappa opioid receptors, indicating an intimate connection between cannabinoid and opioid signaling pathways in the modulation of pain perception." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14706563/#:~:text=In addition, studies have determined,the modulation of pain perception. So even if cannabis did have the effect of increasing addictive behavior the fact that it is sort of a mini opiate in itself helps to explain its efficacy in opiate addiction

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of overthinking here. If you habitually smoke weed all day every day then you are of course going to be at risk of losing motivation. It's the same with any drug that is habit forming and produces a high. Individual circumstances will apply but I think this is only a discussion point because of weed's status as a "soft" drug. I know myself when I was heavily smoking, I'd get really irritatable and unmotivated if I couldn't smoke for whatever reason. I have friends now who rather than just going for a walk it's more like the walk is secondary to the act of having an outdoor smoke and they can get really pissed off if they can't find a nice spot to spark up. The weed is at that point no longer augmenting an experience (a nice walk outside) but has become the only experience.
The ancients already knew the key to life, everything in moderation.
Well yea we do all know weed all day leads to laziness for most people, this video is just a little bit more of an explanation as to why that might be the case, and a tiny understanding of how these things work in the brain. I feel like the more science we have on these things the better

Well yea we do all know weed all day leads to laziness for most people, this video is just a little bit more of an explanation as to why that might be the case, and a tiny understanding of how these things work in the brain. I feel like the more science we have on these things the better
I see what your saying now. I personally wouldn’t label it laziness. Also we seem to see that heavy cannabis users often have predominant problems with how society functions, that they often bring up and passionately debate, but rarely actively attempt to change. That is a stereotype statement and there are certainly people who do, non the less it’s not often seen.

So is that the cannabis use or is it just human nature?

Ok but why can’t I smoke weed anymore? Plenty of my heroin addict friends are the same way weed simply creates incredible paranoia and anxiety

For years I lived sleeped and ate weed, most mornings wake and baking before school at 6 AM while getting As and Bs and playing multiple varsity sport..

It never impacted my motivation then

Ok but why can’t I smoke weed anymore? Plenty of my heroin addict friends are the same way weed simply creates incredible paranoia and anxiety

For years I lived sleeped and ate weed, most mornings wake and baking before school at 6 AM while getting As and Bs and playing multiple varsity sport..

It never impacted my motivation then
That’s what I have seen as well. I have hung with hard grass people my entire adult life. Most of the best skiers, boarders I have known were lit daily. Hiking up a mountain for freshies pre dawn is about unlazylike as it comes. Rock stars I know.. don’t kid yourself it’s allot of work.
Some PhDs and MDs I know also. allot of work there. Master Cannabis Cultivators.. I was walking 25 plus miles a day and was ripped like a high end mountain climber.

So what I’m saying is it the grass or a person’s personality? A lazy persons going to be lazy and grass use may appeal to this personality type. I say stop blaming the grass for lazy unmotivated
peoples behavior.

Last edited:
That’s what I have seen as well. I have hung with hard grass people my entire adult life. Most of the best skiers, boarders I have known were lit daily. Hiking up a mountain for freshies pre dawn is about unlazylike as it comes. Rock stars I know.. don’t kid yourself it’s allot of work.
Some PhDs and MDs I know also. allot of work there. Master Cannabis Cultivators.. I was walking 25 plus miles a day and was ripped like a high end mountain climber.

So what I’m saying is it the grass or a person’s personality? A lazy persons going to be lazy and grass use may appeal to this personality type. I say stop blaming the grass for lazy unmotivated
peoples behavior.

Yeah I agree. It’s probably individualistic I agree a lot of the best skiers and snowboarders I know smoke joints like you read about.

I will say I did regret smoking weed before wrestling practice a few times. My coach was a crazy Russian mma fighter and one day I came in baked off my ass and he definitely knew. He rarely wrestled us but that day he’s like your drilling with me today, had everyone circle around us, and said we’re gonna do a live match me and you. I knew I was so fucked. He headlocked me so fucking hard I thought my ribs punctured my lungs. After that he got up and said now don’t ever do that again . I got the message lol I don’t think he liked that his team captain was ripping blunts down before practice

Thanks for posting.

Ok so if marijuana addiction makes it harder to break bad habits, which is agree with, does it go away?

I haven’t smoked weed in years but I wonder if weed set in motion my opioid addiction.

I think smoking heavy high grade marijuana from age 15-18 definitely fucked me up good

Personally I have never found weed to have any effect on my other drug addictions. In fact when I used to smoke weed all the time, I had much less desire to do other drugs. I was pretty mentally addicted to weed for a good 7 years, 24/7/365 smoker, I felt like being high made everything better and I did it before, during and after everything. In reality it was just kind of a waste because I didn't really even get high anymore. I rarely smoke weed now because it gives me anxiety usually (though even before that started to happen, I just grew out of my addiction to it - I also have never experienced any sort of physical addiction to it at all), but I do enjoy it from time to time and probably will until the day I die. I do think that for some people, any drug will trigger all drug addictions, but it is not the case for everybody. For me, weed and psychedelics are kind of a separate thing from other drugs, I can use them periodically to good effect without any negative repercussions on my life or any increase in desire to do other drugs. I'm not saying that will be true for everyone, but for some people, weed can actually help them stay off other drugs, or at the very least, not produce a negative effect. The desire to get high is an innate drive in many humans, and it is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. I disagree with the 12 steps-style idea that if you're not abstinent from everything (except nicotine and caffeine 🤡) you're not sober and you're headed for full-blown addiction.

peoples behavior.
I dont really see it as saying that cannabis causes you to lose all motivation necessarily, though I think most agree it has potential to. For me what was interesting was just the fact that cannabinoid pathways in the brain are linked in some way to habitual behavior, how exactly it effects it I dont think is pinned down

Edit: If I remember correctly I think what was said in the video is that if you are constantly high it can become harder to pick up new habits or break old ones which I think makes sense, I think its more of a issue of being high 100% of the time though

Last edited:
Personally I have never found weed to have any effect on my other drug addictions. In fact when I used to smoke weed all the time, I had much less desire to do other drugs. I was pretty mentally addicted to weed for a good 7 years, 24/7/365 smoker, I felt like being high made everything better and I did it before, during and after everything. In reality it was just kind of a waste because I didn't really even get high anymore. I rarely smoke weed now because it gives me anxiety usually (though even before that started to happen, I just grew out of my addiction to it - I also have never experienced any sort of physical addiction to it at all), but I do enjoy it from time to time and probably will until the day I die. I do think that for some people, any drug will trigger all drug addictions, but it is not the case for everybody. For me, weed and psychedelics are kind of a separate thing from other drugs, I can use them periodically to good effect without any negative repercussions on my life or any increase in desire to do other drugs. I'm not saying that will be true for everyone, but for some people, weed can actually help them stay off other drugs, or at the very least, not produce a negative effect. The desire to get high is an innate drive in many humans, and it is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. I disagree with the 12 steps-style idea that if you're not abstinent from everything (except nicotine and caffeine 🤡) you're not sober and you're headed for full-blown addiction.
Yea man I pretty much agree with everything there, I would say I do have some level of physical addiction from the weed, Ive been clean of opiates now for 2 years and used weed heavily for the process but when iIl stop smoking weed its almost like a slight reminder of opiate withdrawal is in the back of my mind, chills and apatite issues and just not feeling comfortable.

I have heard that cannabis does effect opioid receptors some way in the brain though so here's some very sciencey stuff on that from this page https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2018.0022

"There is abundant support for the role of CB1 receptors in the rewarding effects of opioids and the amelioration of tolerance. However, the effects of endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids in opioid withdrawal are somewhat paradoxical: endogenous cannabinoids seem to have no role in somatic withdrawal,27,30–32 yet exogenous CB1 agonists readily alleviate somatic symptoms such as escape jumps, diarrhea, weight loss, and paw tremors.28,33,34 Endogenous cannabinoid tone within the amygdala is also involved in the affective component of opioid withdrawal, as blockade of CB1 receptors in the CeA or BNST ameliorates opioid withdrawal.21 The kappa opioid receptor (KOR) system may also play a role in cannabis' impact on the affective opioid withdrawal, given its pivotal contributions to dysphoria and negative effect.35 However, both KOR agonism (with U50, 488H30) and KOR antagonism (naloxone31,32) have both been shown to attenuate conditioned place aversion in CB1 KO mice.30 These contradicting data highlight the need for additional mechanistic insights into the involvement of the CB1 receptor in opioid reward and withdrawal."

Also this

"Cannabinoids and opioids both produce analgesia through a G-protein-coupled mechanism that blocks the release of pain-propagating neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord."

I have never had even the slightest withdrawal from cannabis, even when I was a 24/7 chronic smoker for years ion end, but I have known people who say they get bad withdrawals, usually from concentrates though.

A good friend of mine smokes constantly all day every day, and he's one of the most successful and energetic people I know. He says it balances him out. Personally I find it easier to be lazy and do nothing on weed, but at the same time, it doesn't actually make me lazy, it just provides a good way to make a ;lazy attitude feel less problematic.

I'm biased because I love Cannabis/Marijuana/Weed/Ganja. I think, in a country awash with drugs and an animal (humans) that has historically shown an inability to stay away from recreational drug use, isn't something as benign as Cannabis worth at least examining?

He said he was a Psychiatrist and then he said something like "the best use of Marijuana is in Opiate Use Disorder". In one way, I'm happy that he is a doctor and willing to imply that Cannabis has value in treating mental health issues, but in another way, I can't believe he placed mental health ahead of oncology, hospice and other terrible shit. I don't hate the guy for it, but intellectually, his arguments mean a lot less to me after such a comment.

He strikes me as someone who thinks he knows everything "how do I put this in terms that, say, a complete fucking idiot might understand...." as he pinches the bridge of his nose. All doctors are the best in their field, all doctors know better than "that other doctor" and this guy is just one more clown. He made some points I agree with, but he strikes me as a know-it-all douchebag.