• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Mega Thread - for all your questions on dealing with chronic pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah problems swallowing is a pretty serious complication related to CNS damage, but she already stated she has nerve damage, and judging by the neck and back, its her CNS. not much you can do other than hope for the best. if you develop twitches or stutters notify the doc immediately as the damage is getting worst.

edit* gastrointestinal problems as well

-------wait, if you have problems going to the bathroom because of opiate use aka defacating not pissing and every once in a blue moon your foot might twitch or you might trip up on a word that I could be in serious health risk ? Please respond because im scared to death right now at the thought of this.. I use 60-120mg of IR oxycodone a day. Could I be doing permanent damage that could effect my future or even worse my life ?? please respond please.

who are you talking about with CNS problems? Opiates do not do this. When you twitch randomly its likely from the raise in serum levels of the drug in your system, which are likely gone when use is stopped. Also, that is a fairly low dose each day, I think you're fine....if you're so worried then stop taking your meds, or call your doctor.

who are you talking about with CNS problems? Opiates do not do this. When you twitch randomly its likely from the raise in serum levels of the drug in your system, which are likely gone when use is stopped. Also, that is a fairly low dose each day, I think you're fine....if you're so worried then stop taking your meds, or call your doctor.
ShadyMyster:

I was quoting a post from someone earlier on in the thread. I had the belief that benzos effected your CNS , whatever that is; im not educated about this. However, I know that it is not a very high dose; especially compared to some, but I have heard that opiate use weakens your heart and lowers your life expectancy. Is this true? and how much damage does it truly do?

Also a doctor in my family related the random unusual twitches to a iron deficiency or some other sort of vitamin deficiency.. I take her word for it. I would stop the meds if I could but the pain is too much to bear.

Mainly, my general question is: I am dependent on opiates, will not be stopping them, and am taking 60-120mg; What are the dangers? How does it negatively effect my body and mind?
anybody with information, ideas, or experiences with these worries or possible side effects PLEASE respond!! I tend to worry. :/ any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

If you're so worried, like I said change something in your life to counteract this, or stop the meds. Since you're not stopping the meds, the only thing you can do is create positive choices that positively affect your health. And what I mean by that is, counteracting the negative affects of opiates : constipation, issues with BP and heart, low vitamin absorption, gastrointestinal problems etc. I don't think opiate use deteriorates anyone faster otherwise. In fact, I think it's just the opposite. Start eating healthy, try to excercise, either aerobic, stretches, something.

Take a multi-vitamin( you should be getting all your vitamins for your food not a pill). Do things healthy for your body and you will be fine. Stay away from benzos

A depressing response...

edgewise1, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news8(, but as someone who has three family members with herniated discs at L4-L5, and who experiences severe disc issues herself, I have yet to see someone fully recover from shots or surgery. We have our good and bad days. Keeping as trim as possible, which is difficult when you cannot even walk, is extremely important. Limiting time sitting in an upright position is also a big one: Nothing puts pressure on L3-L4 and L4-L5 like sitting. Do not lift ANYTHING over five pounds, even if your PT or Neurosurgeon has released you to. Twisting is not your friend. In fact, from the experiences of those in my family, as well as my own, walking in excellent shoes on flat surfaces and laying are your best friends. All these things MAY protect your disc from re-herniating and creating more nerve damage. That said, I have read of (although never met) magical people out there that actually heal and have no residual pain. I pray you will end up in their club!<3

As for me, full blown, upper hip to ankle sciatic has returned to my left leg. How wonderful. I am glad I have been proactive though as I had MRI #4 scheduled for this last Sunday. The sciatica was so bad that the shitty job the tech did in inserting my IV for the contrast dye did not hurt at all, although I have a mighty ugly bruise the size of a silver dollar. My Neurosurgeon's nurse doubled my Norco dosage to two every four to six hours (not to consume more than 10 in one day though) and told me she is extremely hesitant to keep me on this high of dosage of acetaminophen for more than a few weeks. Since I like my liver and have enough problems, I can understand. However, she also stated she was hesitant to change my medication to something stronger, a concern I certainly understand as no one wants to feel accountable for creating a 21 year old opiate addict, but honestly, I am still crying myself to sleep and DONE with it:(. When I go in to see the most recent image of my spine, I will be asking about Gabapentin and other pain relief options as suggested by you all.:\

I have battled eating disorders, self-mutilation, major depression, anxiety disorders and suicidal thoughts well before disc herniation #1 and taking my own life seems more and more like the only way to escape this constant pain. All of my outlets are gone: ballet, modern, tap and jazz class are out of the question when you cannot even take a step without searing pain. I doubt I will ever perform on stage again. My level of pain even when laying flat is so bad I can barely pay attention to my beloved books. EVEN PULP PAPERBACKS :! are difficult for me to zone into which is pathetic for a girl who read "Crime and Punishment" at 14. Working on my Masters in Library Science is out of the question when I can barely read and comprehend my medical bills, much less pay them. I can concentrate to type up a post or scribble out a poem but working on my novel is totally out of the question. I cannot even concentrate enough to finish a prone meditation. How in the world do you guys cope? Please, any advice would be much appreciated. Some vertical cuts up my forearms along the veins seem more and more appealing... And since I know most of you on this particular board have been there, I could really use your tips and tricks...

Shot in the dark question here but I figured I'd ask. I've had chronic knee pain for a while now and it still hasn't been diagnosed. The worst of it is being jarred out of a dead sleep and feeling like someone took a bat to my knee and broke my knee cap. I've also had migraine headaches for a few years, I get them about once a month but never thought there was a connection. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Littlegirlblue, you nailed the symptoms to a T! Twisting is like stabbing a red hot knife in my thigh. Some days it hurts less than other days, but it does consistently hurt

As for reading to take mind off of pain, I do. I am addicted to reading and have been for all of my 54 years! I find thrillers, and some military fiction to my favorite reads.

Thanks for the info as I would rather be forwarned than to be ignorant of the fact.

edgewise1, if you have not read the Stieg Larsson trilogy yet, add it to your reading list! Some of the the best strong character-driven action-thriller literature I have read, perhaps ever!

Well, I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I had a pretty strong inclination that would be the diagnosis. I was given Lyrica, which I'm not tolerating very well. It makes me feel really. . . dumb. I'm unable to articulate my speech, I get dizzy, it makes me depressed and anxious. I think I'm going to have to quit taking it already. It helps with the pain but the side effects are way too intrusive upon my daily life.

Well, I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I had a pretty strong inclination that would be the diagnosis. I was given Lyrica, which I'm not tolerating very well. It makes me feel really. . . dumb. I'm unable to articulate my speech, I get dizzy, it makes me depressed and anxious. I think I'm going to have to quit taking it already. It helps with the pain but the side effects are way too intrusive upon my daily life.

That's lame, i found Lyrica to be pretty horrible all around.. and didn't do shit for pain.

That's lame, i found Lyrica to be pretty horrible all around.. and didn't do shit for pain.

It was really terrible last night. Confusion, blurred vision, anxiety, extreme depression. My doc told me to stop taking it. I'm gonna wait three days and then try neurontin. Hopefully that helps. :\

So I finally got the judge to force the insurance company in my workers comp case to allow me to go to pain management, as suggested by my orthopedic.

I have two bulged discs in my lower spine, and have been treated with a combination of norco 7.5/325, amirix 15mg, and Relafen. After a year on the same norco dose, the effectiveness has greatly diminished and when brought to my orthopedists attention he didn't seem to care. I am a 6'6, 310 pound guy and 1 pill every 6 hours after a whole year of the same dose doesn't come close to eliminating the pain.

Will my pain management doctor evaluate my obvious tolerance after a year at the same dose and increase or change my meds, or is that all dependent on the orthopedist since he is the one who originally prescribed it? Also, the orthopedist wants the PM doc to give me an epidural, anyone with back pain have good success with that?

Also it is my L3, L4 discs.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed w/fibro after two regimes of interferon for Hep C. I consider myself VERY lucky. cleared the hep c virus after watching 4 people in my support group die from it. One of the 4 did get a liver transplant but I guess the hep C had already done its worst. He never left the hosp. after the transplant. Forget the wrist thing. Keep at the docs. you will find one to help you. I'm not saying it will happen tomorrow or be easy but if you keep at it you will find the right one. It took me over 10 years and I drive almost 3 hrs 1 way to see him but thats OK with me.I came close enough to dying to know its not what I want, not yet anyway. Opiates are really pretty safe. I have been taking them for many years. They make you feel good so you shouldn't have em (DEA mindset). A lot of docs don't really mind giving them but they are all running scared. If they write 2 many narc scripts they will get in big trouble so they send us to PM docs. Now the PM docs have to get you to sign that stupid contract, do random urine tests and count your pills. Hang in there. there are still some docs that really care. I know it don't seem so but they are out there. Just be honest and open. keep fireing the quacks. remember, you are paying THEM.

anyone have any info on the CURRENT situation with the pain clinics in fla or jacksonville area? whats up with the shortage? how can they adverstise they take new and out of state pts if there isnt anything to prescribe them?

I have a herniated disc between the L3-L4 vertabrae.
I've been on oxycodone 10/325 for a couple months, 6 a day dose. Just this past week my dr.changed me to norco 10/325. I can feel some difference in the pain, but not a lot.
Once you go to the pm doctor, your ortho is out of the picture. The pm doc will look at what you are currently on, but any changes will be his doing entirely.
I'm surprised you have gone this long without an epidural. I had my first within 1 month of my injury. At first I did not feel the epidural did any good, but looking back on it now, I think it did help me as I am more mobile at this point than I was. I have the 2nd epidural on 7/30.
Good luck with everything!

Also, the orthopedist wants the PM doc to give me an epidural, anyone with back pain have good success with that?

i had 3 epidurals for a herniated disc earlier this year. the first two were pretty ineffective plus i had flare ups afterwards that were worse than the original pain was.

the third worked pretty well and i was on my way to 90-95% recovery until the insurance company cut me off from any more PT. my lawyer is about to totally fuck them up though.

an epidural?!? interesting, i have a seronegative spondoapathy,-ankylosing spondyliitis, bilateral sacroilliitis, pelvic sclerosis, and a bunch of other shit, but i have never even heard of, or considered that. holy cow i could of used that, many times, and will no doubt.

im not surprised, but always angered seeing people have such shit-crock experiences with their docs. after receiving those, permanent progressive, unrepairable diagnosis's. i had been complaining of constant agony to my PCP, getting a look the other way. one day it was to the point where i was loosing consciousness from the pain.. shiver. we went to the ER, and was diagnosed with this shit by MRI.

my PCP wouldnt even look at the MRI results! he asks, why this is the a top concern now, so i slide the papers over to him, with a gaze of wtf and terror on my face im sure. he still wouldnt look, after that and me saying calmly, because of these diagnoses....! my father was there, telling him how im designating.

so many doctors, so many drugs, so many adverse terrible reactions, so many say i need narcotics, but not anyone who would have to prescribe them, they thought not. i have a mass of chronic pain issues, one, pleurisy induced by an alternative mega pain blocker last november.

that same PCP, who gives me 6mgs of kpin a day, and lithium which he hasnt ordered a level check on in around a year said, he will do what ever the PMC docs suggest. nope. 2 months later, my wifes PCP asks how im doing,,, not good.... he says he will give me some relief for a bit and to come in. i didnt for a couple weeks, i was on pods, 2-3 a day for over a year, and didnt want to mess up my groove, or have the temporary relief. i broke down and went in

he is a weirdo haha, but interesting, and interested in our interest in medicine, and will chat about theories and such. he gave me 100 5/500 hydrocodone... uh, yeah, 50 gone in 10 days, still constant pain with pods and mmj. i go back to see him, and he says there was a refill, why didnt i get it? well 2 weeks early at 2 a day... and, im not dumb???

so he answers for me, those arent working for you are they? hmmm, what will?... i answered 3 5mg oxycodone a day,,, yike, major major underguestimate. every 3-4 hours after 10mg, recoil, crunch, tare, swell, split, yank, stab, twist, spasms, hot marbles popping trough ribs, hurts to breath regularly, laugh, talk in my natural voice; same hot marble sensations with my scapulas.

its been so much, so fast. im used to seeing several doctors or PT a week, but its all dropped, ive not blown up, but been told my goals and current life situation by so many doctors, i just wanted to send the pain i was in into them, for just a few moments and watch them vomit on their cheap suit instantly. with this mound of paper work, and the good nature of this man im seeing now out of respect and education, im scared to say, i need more. that was a tough call to make hah, guessing what would do the trick. he gave me 60 5mg oxys, no refills, follow up in 3 weeks, the day after the pills should run out.

when the pills wear off, its too much, i have to try and rush to sleep, or my mind goes to black.

for the pain i take;
Humira 40mg IM injection every 10 days. and to prevent fusion of spine and joints.
2 grams or so of mmj i grow.

and now, 15mg oxycodone - 30-40mgs oxy helps spread almost through out the day, but when it stops so do i...
this is absurd, i have tried so so so many meds, heavy nsaids fuck me all up for a couple days in a bad way, remicaid smashed my life, and is atm 8 months later, prednisone never did anything in all ROA,s and sent me to hell with dysphoria and pain intensity last time i took it(report in ADD), gabapentin nope, lyrica adverse reaction, and on and on.

i need this pain at some sort of negotiable level to continue diagnostics, gain the weight i rapidly lost, and still lose, and get back into physical therapy.

im certain he knows ill ask for more, and seeing how he didnt put any refills, he is either going to change the meds, like something time released or longer acting, or up the dose.

with the conditions i have, there is no way i could be left to live like this, i thought every day. i still do, this means the world to me, literally.

i guess im sharing my experience, and asking what the next move ordinarily would be from here, OC, Roxies, MScontin, more percs ?
it all depends? he said he doesnt write for hydromorphone, cant blame him for that really.
i wish there was a nice, polished, pod pill...

Has anyone who has had a discsectomy here RE-herniated a disc? I had an emergency one in February and although I feel fine I am worried that I'll re-herniate it or herniate another one. I'm back to running and lifting weights now. Losing weight is taking pressure off my back and the exercise helps me stay off opiates, which I abused for years when I was prescribed. I still have pain on a 4-5 daily but I can manage. I have 2 degenerative discs and 1 that was herniated but shaved during the discsectomy.

I feel pretty good now back-wise for the first time in a while but I know I have these problems. So it kind of feels like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Which isn't a good feeling because I don't have health insurance at the moment

I have a herniated disc between the L3-L4 vertabrae.
I've been on oxycodone 10/325 for a couple months, 6 a day dose. Just this past week my dr.changed me to norco 10/325. I can feel some difference in the pain, but not a lot.
Once you go to the pm doctor, your ortho is out of the picture. The pm doc will look at what you are currently on, but any changes will be his doing entirely.
I'm surprised you have gone this long without an epidural. I had my first within 1 month of my injury. At first I did not feel the epidural did any good, but looking back on it now, I think it did help me as I am more mobile at this point than I was. I have the 2nd epidural on 7/30.
Good luck with everything!

Thanks for the response! I've gone this long without the epidural because the insurance company of the job I got hurt at has been refusing to allow me to see a pain management doc, until the judge finally overruled them last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.