• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Long time lurker/first time poster. Been a longish term opiate user; mostly heroin, never IV, smoking it’s fucked my lungs so I snort it now, which gives me a permanent-ish blocked nose. (Phenergan sorta works to clear this/potentiate the dope). However I’ve been lucky enough to only fall into daily use a couple of times, and only for short (less than one month) periods. For the last ~2.5 months however it’s been a daily opioid regime - alternating between “pure” heroin, suboxone (bupe w/ naloxone), codeine, poppy pod tea and oxycodone (just once), plus of course daily alcohol, smatterings of benzos (diazepam, etizolam), meth a few times (yuck), modafinil, some ketamine and some weed. With the heroin (which I’d say is actually around ~65 - 80% pure; certainly much better than street or market grade stuff) I’d use from 100mg to 300 mg in a day, intransally in ~20 - 30 mg increments. This’d be 2 - 4 days a week. 1 - 2 mg of suboxone will do the job when smack isn’t feasible. Poppy pod tea (8 - 20 pods) also works nicely to fill in the gaps; did some good gardening work this year, although it’s almost over. Also had access to some modified release 60mg codeine tabs - easy to crush. Two of those will take the pain away, four/five will be an ok buzz, and two of those + some poppy tea has been a bit of a revelation. Gotta stop now though. Gonna taper down with 2 - 1.5 - 1- .5 - .25 - .12mg increments of suboxone…I’m probably still in for a bit of pain but hopefully not too much…but I wonder what effect the consistent oscillation between these four different opioid drugs will have on any withdrawal, both in terms of length and severity? Any thoughts/similar experiences? Cheers.

Last edited:
the necropolitan.
Thank you for your info. Found it helpful. I been up all night researching what works best for withdrawals. I just tried it pretty much cold turkey and after 2 days I couldn't hang. Wanted to die!! So I had to get some of that evil in me. Now I'm using this time to figure out what I need from wallyworld so I can start over. Gotta kick this shit. So sick of this life. I'm 41 and been shooting up since 16.... anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. It's like a strange, chemical type smell. Not a terrible smell, but very strong, and I find it emanates from my body for the first 3 or 4 days. It's to the point where I absolutely associate that smell with an opiate detox.

slow&sideways -

No offense dude.. but you think you have 80% pure Heroin when..

1-2mg of Subs get you well?
you can still get high off of Codeine?

I think you're WAY over exaggerating the purity of your dope. lol

Methacodone - I said ~ 65 - 80 %. Also, I don't use heroin daily, so I don't have an enormous tolerance - hence a small amount of bupe/modest amount of codeine doing the job. As I also said in my post above, currently this is my longest period of daily use, and 2.5 months ain't that long really. I think the "pure" heroin we get here (Australia), SE Asian #4, IS around that mark for purity - say maybe more like from 60% to 75-80% pure? Samples of street gear analysed in the late '90s in Cabramatta, Sydney, at the peak of Australia's heroin boom, showed an average purity of 66%. https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/resou...tion-analysis-street-level-samples-cabramatta It's generally accepted that street gear these days is much less strong, however the higher grade "pure" you can buy in Australia is (subjectively) 3 or 4 times stronger than street/market grade gear. So say that average street grade is around 20% these days; "pure" being from 60% - 80% doesn't seem far-fetched.Perhaps another Australian user can chime in here? Maybe I'm way off, and I'm not trying to dick-size about the quality of dope I can get. Subjectively again, it's less strong that the very potent #4 I've had in SE Asia, but not THAT much less strong.Anyway, this is probably off topic. First day of rapid bupe taper. Feeling fine on 2mg, had my last dose of pod tea (+some 2cb, weed and some wine - very nice combo!) last night, looking forward to being clean this time next week.

Last edited:
Hi guys So I've cut down to 50mg of tramadol per day from 300mg per day. I cut down over 10 weeks. I am really struggling to jump off completely Evan though it's such a low does. My question can I use a small amount of codeine to help me along. I was planning on using about 25mg codeine every 6 hours.

How long should I do this for before cutting this down?

And how many mg codeine should I cut down on per day?

Any help would be great I'm desperate now
Xx

I think the most important thing with tramadol withdrawal is to figure out if it's the opioid or SNRI withdrawal.
If it's opioid withdrawal then yes codeine will help, but if it's the SNRI withdrawal that's bothering you no amount of codeine will completely help

I think it's both but I was thinking if I swap codeine for tramadol then I will only be withdrawing from am snri and then I can with draw from opiates instead of doing two at once. I have done 36hours with out tramadol now and I have used codeine 25mg every 6 hours and I feel ok. I think tomorrow I will cut codeine a bit see how I feel

Day 2 without any tramadol feel ok however sleep is hard I am going to try cut out some codeine tonight

Day 2 without any tramadol feel ok however sleep is hard I am going to try cut out some codeine tonight

Keep us updated!
Do you have anything to help you sleep, like a benzo ? Or maybe just something like a antihistamine (may potentiate the codeine a little) or melatonin or valerian root ?

Hi kleiner so almost day 3 without any tramadol and also managed to cut down to 75mg of codeine. I'm not sleeping great maybe 5 hours but I think that's good considering. I have no major symptoms other than rls in my arms lol so annoying. I'll keep updated.

Sorry forgot to say I haven't took anything to help sleep at the minute as in think 5 hours sleep keeps me going x

Glad to hear that it's going well!
There are a few drugs that can help with RLS, but I think they're all prescription only :/
I just read that Vitex agnus cactus berry extract could help with RLS and you can buy it without a prescription, but I haven't read enough studies about it
All the best!

Day 6 without tramadol and I'm down to 63 mg of codeine I feel ok slight withdrawals nothing I can't handle

Well night 6 without tramadol was pretty bad I don't know why as I've been fine. The rls all over was awful I got about 2 hours sleep. However baring in mind I'm not using anything to help sleep. So now I'm officially a week free of tramadol I couldn't be happier. Now time to get off the 63mg codeine which I am starting to taper down tonight ? I can see a light at the end of the tunnel xx

QUESTION: Please help :)

On Tue 29 Oct 2016 I stopped a 22 year opioid habit (mainly codeine) about 900-1,200 Mg a day. For detox I went through about 4 boxes of Valium (1,000 Mg) and 3 and a bit boxes of Tamazapem 875 Mg all spread out over about 5 or 6 days (the Valium was used up by Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 (just on a week ago now). So by about Wednesday 7 Dec all the Valium was gone. I still have some Tamazapem but probably don't need it anymore and I didn't take any last night.
During the detox the doses varied some nights I would take as much as 120 Mg Tamazapem and 80 Mg Valium 3 times a day and other nights not so much.
Problem is now I have no withdrawals I have started taking Naltrexone GH 50 Mg a day but I still feel like I'm not able to walk in a straight line, drive a car safely etc and I figured this should have all passed by now. Its the 11/12/16 now. In fact I've actually had 3 minor car accidents over the past two days (previously haven't had a car accident in well over 10 years). I was only driving short distances to see a doctor and get supplies from the shop. But now I'm not really thinking its a good idea to drive anywhere at all. But Obviously I cant stay like that. I was planning to be feeling fully over this and back at work by now.

Any thoughts on what's happening? How long should Tamazapem make me feel drowsy for or is it something else?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Well I fucked it up - did two days on 2mg, 2 days on 1mg and one day on .5 - but the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about using. Caved on day 6, and am now on day 3 of heavy heroin use. Guess I'm back to the start. Fuck this shit is hard to quit. Feel fine now that I'm high but tomorrow I'll feel like shit. I hope I can find the resolve to stop. I've fucked my lungs smokin and now my nose is getting fcked from snorting. The IV route seems all that is left, so it's definitely time to quit.

QUESTION: Please help :)

On Tue 29 Oct 2016 I stopped a 22 year opioid habit (mainly codeine) about 900-1,200 Mg a day. For detox I went through about 4 boxes of Valium (1,000 Mg) and 3 and a bit boxes of Tamazapem 875 Mg all spread out over about 5 or 6 days (the Valium was used up by Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 (just on a week ago now). So by about Wednesday 7 Dec all the Valium was gone. I still have some Tamazapem but probably don't need it anymore and I didn't take any last night.
During the detox the doses varied some nights I would take as much as 120 Mg Tamazapem and 80 Mg Valium 3 times a day and other nights not so much.
Problem is now I have no withdrawals I have started taking Naltrexone GH 50 Mg a day but I still feel like I'm not able to walk in a straight line, drive a car safely etc and I figured this should have all passed by now. Its the 11/12/16 now. In fact I've actually had 3 minor car accidents over the past two days (previously haven't had a car accident in well over 10 years). I was only driving short distances to see a doctor and get supplies from the shop. But now I'm not really thinking its a good idea to drive anywhere at all. But Obviously I cant stay like that. I was planning to be feeling fully over this and back at work by now.

Any thoughts on what's happening? How long should Tamazapem make me feel drowsy for or is it something else?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Please don't double post, you made your own thread and people will reply