• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids The opiate twitch. Do you get it and what causes it?

DennyCrane

Bluelighter
Hello
I was wondering if anyone else gets a twitch, like a little jolt every so often after using opiates/oids?

It only happens when sedentary lying in bed or on the couch, a little convulsion like a shiver/involuntary jerk in the arms or legs. It won't happen if active, eg moving round or even sitting concentrating working on the computer or playing a video game.

I suspect it's a side effect of the chemicals but also wonder if it's due to shallow breathing and overall respiratory depression. Like the brain is telling the body "hey you still there?" Or vice versa.

I think I read a post here about someone experiencing this on oxycodone but I can't find.

Hello
I was wondering if anyone else gets a twitch, like a little jolt every so often after using opiates/oids?

It only happens when sedentary lying in bed or on the couch, a little convulsion like a shiver/involuntary jerk in the arms or legs. It won't happen if active, eg moving round or even sitting concentrating working on the computer or playing a video game.

I suspect it's a side effect of the chemicals but also wonder if it's due to shallow breathing and overall respiratory depression. Like the brain is telling the body "hey you still there?" Or vice versa.

I think I read a post here about someone experiencing this on oxycodone but I can't find.
What drug are you taking?

My internist said it was the nerve. Our nerves send signal to the brain. Something to do with brain neurotransmitter not communicating properly with the nerves or vice versa. The nerves on spine. What i found help me is believe it or not, relax and give in to the body. Don't fight it. It feels scary at first seeming to loose control of ur own body/mind but the jerking gone when i fully relax and give in. It happened only when i wanted to sleep. So i just let my body and brain take me to sleep. If that makes sense.

Does it happen only when your eyes are closed or if you're nodding?
When I'm awake watching the TV or YouTube. Basically when not doing as little as possible without my eyes closed or nodding out. I don't ever tend to nod any more, I use just to stay well and function there's very little recreational aspect to it beyond the relief experienced if I've had to be doing something all day and start getting the shivers before I'm home.

My internist said it was the nerve. Our nerves send signal to the brain. Something to do with brain neurotransmitter not communicating properly with the nerves or vice versa. The nerves on spine. What i found help me is believe it or not, relax and give in to the body. Don't fight it. It feels scary at first seeming to loose control of ur own body/mind but the jerking gone when i fully relax and give in. It happened only when i wanted to sleep. So i just let my body and brain take me to sleep. If that makes sense.
That's what I do, just go with it, it doesn't happen all the time it's very random. I've had to ride out all sorts of weird feelings from poor decisions made to mix substances in the past although it's always when stimulants are involved that something unpleasant happens.

It's probably a myoclonic jerk. They can be caused by a number of things, but I usually hear about it from bad drug interactions/past drug use or serotonin syndrome.

I have experienced them from fentanyl combined with other drugs, but it went away when the drugs wore off. I've also experienced it during serotonin syndrome but it wasn't permanent.

Some people unfortunately have them permanently or semi permanently after abusing too many drugs, from what I've put together this typically occurs from permanent serotonergic damage/toxicity. (But this probably isn't your case if they only occur when you use oxy).

I also experience hypnic jerks, which are very similar, but occur while you're falling asleep, for me this is caused by years of alcoholism and GABAergic abuse, but when I sober up they go away. Some people experience them naturally without drugs, it's rather common.

Last edited:
Technically opioids are convulsants & can cause myoclonic jerks.

I've had myoclonic jerks off and on for about 8 years now. They started after a bad interaction between DXM & venlafaxine. I ended up with convulsions in my legs for about 20 minutes until I took a benzo. Ever since then I've had myoclonic jerking when relaxing. Some times it'll feel like I'm being electrocuted & my whole body will jerk. Or it'll just be my legs that jerk or my torso.

I get them whether I'm on opioids or not though. I also get them while sitting up right, though not as often, And when I'm sitting upright, they often come in the form of head twitches. I've seen a neurologist & I have no idea what causes mine.

There are myoclonic jerks, but then there are totally different little tremors I suspect to be dopamine related, but I don't know shit tbh