• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official NCAA football thread

finally game day! i've had the misfortune of being back in central ohio during this lull between the penultimate and final bcs game. oh lordy have i forgotten how comprehensive buckeye coverage can be. looking forward to solid game and a buckeye victory. i'll leave the prognosticating to some of my bolder cohorts... i'll just say that bad things have happened to # 2 all season ;)

go bucks!

Did yall see where june Jones bailed on hawaii for SMU? I dont know why anyone would want to leave a sweet gig at hawaii for a hell hole christian school in texas

Probably the dolla dolla bills, yall.

From one irrelevant program to another. I expect modest successes from him, and nothing more.

Pander Bear said:
Only BA would be daft enough to equate "best team" strictly with their record, however.

Follow me here, atlas. I know you can do it. If Georgia had the following schedule...

vs. Rutgers
vs. Kent State
vs. Baylor
vs. Navy
vs. DeVry
vs. Utah State
vs. Rice
vs. Duke
vs. Southern Methodist
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Central Michigan
vs. Fresno State

.... they have just as much chance at going 12-0 as they do going 0-12, right?

They would in most minds, be "expected" to win those games. But as this past year has shown multiple times - NOTHING should be expected. Appalachian St should not have beaten Michigan. Pitt should not have beaten West Virginia. Stanford should not have beaten USC. Illinois should not have beaten Ohio State. Arkansas should not have beaten LSU, and so forth.

So, each team has 12 chances (or whatever) to lose. When you win them all, regardless of who you play, that should fairly and statistically put you as #1. Because as we've seen cupcake teams can take out a top 10 team at any time...

Do *I* think Hawaii was the best team at the end of the season? Nope.
But to be fair, they won all their games and should have went to the finals, IMHO.

no... they shouldn't have. strength of schedule should be even more meaningful than it is now. we need to be rewarding programs that go out of their way to make their out-of-conference games true tests of their programs.

OSU doesnt need to waste its time playing Akron, when they can play even a cellar team from the BCS conferences like ole miss or vandy. Likewise, LSU ought to be playing in big hostile places like the big house and happy valley rather than beating tulane an monroe.

the alternative is rewarding the team that goes out of its way to play pushovers in the pursuit on a championship. (ND, anyone?)

BA said:
Do *I* think Hawaii was the best team at the end of the season? Nope.
But to be fair, they won all their games and should have went to the finals, IMHO.

What a fucking asinine statement. The finals? HA. Look at their schedule. UGA STOMPING them should be proof enough. Stop looking at records and start looking at strength of schedule. Hell, your beloved Buckeyes should be proof enough of that already.