• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NCAA Football 2005 thread

And they thing is, I actually thought Leinhart handled himself rather classy until he said that. But then again, they did interview him not even 3 minutes after they lost, so I know that would be a tough pill to swallow.

I'll say this: If this team came into this game with the same approach the '04 team did, this one really had the potential to just get ugly quick. Had 'SC played conventionally they would've been up 17-0 early, and had that happened I find it real difficult to believe Texas could've been able to hold the offense 3 times to stay in the ballgame. Unfortunately for the Trojans, they let their arrogance get the best of them and we saw Matt's hurt ego because of it.

He did have a helluva second half, but that last play was just baffling and a rather pathetic way to end the game. I was hoping Reggie was going to make a big play by himself during the screen pass prior to it.

smotpoker said:
You guys got beat, you're inferior to Texas, and that's that. You guys definitely are NOT the best team in the country, get over yourself!!!!!8(

Even with the end result, I would still disagree with that statement.

The Horns are the national champions, but that does not mean the Trojans were inferior to them. Sports history is replete with instances of the better team (on paper at least) losing in one "winner take all" game, a la Houston in 1983, Georgetown in 1985 and UNLV in 1991...those examples being college basketball of course. I don't know my college football championship history well enough to cite football examples, but I'm sure there are some.

In fact, having watched the game, if those two teams played 10 times I'd still feel comfortable wagering that USC would win at least 6 of them.

Even so, Leinart probably should have just kept his mouth shut and avoided looking classless.

im going through college footballs withdrawl. Its pretty bad.

I was eating at a texmex place last night when someone put on college hockey. Its fucking Georgia, its fucking hockey. I wanted to throw my margarita at something.

jefe dont worry about letting anything slide. while i am a buckeye fan, i maintain a staunch record of anti-homerism.

osu's victory over the nd was by far the most lopsided of the bcs season. and the offense is playing on a dramatically higher than when they faced texas in september. i dont think any team in the country would have wanted to see the buckeyes in a play-off.

Last edited:
glowbug said:
Even with the end result, I would still disagree with that statement.

The Horns are the national champions, but that does not mean the Trojans were inferior to them. Sports history is replete with instances of the better team (on paper at least) losing in one "winner take all" game, a la Houston in 1983, Georgetown in 1985 and UNLV in 1991...those examples being college basketball of course. I don't know my college football championship history well enough to cite football examples, but I'm sure there are some.

In fact, having watched the game, if those two teams played 10 times I'd still feel comfortable wagering that USC would win at least 6 of them.

Even so, Leinart probably should have just kept his mouth shut and avoided looking classless.

I would definately say that is true for basketball... but football is different. I can't seem to think of a team in the past 10 years that didn't deserve the national title(psu in '94). I'd hate to say it, but I feel there is a certain " luck" factor in the march madness. You can face a team that seems to be destined to win, and loose, all though you are a better team(nc state, 83). And especially in this case, Texas is the better team. That had similar seasons, played, and Texas won. I do think that there is some blame to be put on the usc coaching staff. I completely agree with LD, usc came in cocky as hell. And, Vince Young might be super man :)

^^^what about Miami/Ohio State from '02? OSU certainly deserved to win the game, but to say that Miami squad wasn't in some respect their equal is silly to me. The same goes with Texas and USC in my mind, because to me it was a game where it was just a shame there had to be a loser. To clearly say Texas is the better team is an injustice to how good this USC team has been for the past 3-4 years. There are also years where a team didn't get its shot at a national title, when it probably deserved one (Miami/UDub in '00, Oregon '01, perhaps Auburn in '04)

I'm not sure you can accurately differentiate "luck factor" from basketball and football either in favor of it having more impact in basketball. In terms of March Madness, yes luck can be a factor but it is less impacting than it is in football, since one lucky play means so much more in college football since there is only one game whereas in March Madness you have to win 6 in a row...which certainly qualifies more skill than just luck. If we're going with just one-game factors, then I'd say luck factor can prove to be just as equal, but in terms of possessions, a bad call hurts a lot more in football than it does in basketball.