• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2010-11 college football thread! ver. Auburn VS Oregon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a good chance to appear at the national championship, a pretty slim chance of winning it. Playing a schedule of teams with faster, more aggressive defenses would serve you well. <3

Scored tix for the LSU v UNC game at the Georgia Dome. Pumped to sport the purple and gold in the middle of the UNC boosters section. ;)

yes, a good chance to appear. but therefore the odds of winning the NC are that much greater with just a Buckeyes appearance, because some of the usual power-houses are having a down year.

what other teams will be championship caliber? it is very difficult to say right now. Alabama looks like the best contender right now, but I think this is the year where we don't see an SEC contender. some teams are above average, I just don't see one team stealing the spotlight for enough votes.

lets take a look at other contenders...

Florida, Texas again are losing a lot. Texas has a RIDICULOUSLY easy journey to a BCS title game, so it would be easy to lump them in right now.

Boise State? as if the bullshit suits would even give them a rightful shot.

the BCS might as well not even go through with the season and give the Buckeyes the National Championship ;)

of course, I'm joking.

a good chance to appear at the national championship, a pretty slim chance of winning it. Playing a schedule of teams with faster, more aggressive defenses would serve you well. <3

Scored tix for the LSU v UNC game at the Georgia Dome. Pumped to sport the purple and gold in the middle of the UNC boosters section. ;)

fark = buckeyes to be the sacrifical lamb in the BCS vs an SEC team ;)

yes, a good chance to appear. but therefore the odds of winning the NC are that much greater with just a Buckeyes appearance, because some of the usual power-houses are having a down year.

what other teams will be championship caliber? it is very difficult to say right now. Alabama looks like the best contender right now, but I think this is the year where we don't see an SEC contender. some teams are above average, I just don't see one team stealing the spotlight for enough votes.

Now... I know you said you were joking to defuse the homerism, but I'm going to press you on it. You ask who is a clear contender, treating the buckeyes as a foregone conclusion. Bama is the clear forgone NC conclusion, not OSU. Ohio is going to have to win every game, and win them decisively to make a case. The conference championship will go a long way to make that case, but you wont have it for another year. I wouldn't be surprised if boisie goes undefeated, osu drops a game they shoudln't, and it gets to be boisie's year. Also... you know... before the season starts, its all anybody's guess. We're sure to get at least one big shocker of a surprise, and one team who really falls off the radar from the top 5 or 7.

Now... I know you said you were joking to defuse the homerism, but I'm going to press you on it. You ask who is a clear contender, treating the buckeyes as a foregone conclusion. Bama is the clear forgone NC conclusion, not OSU. Ohio is going to have to win every game, and win them decisively to make a case. The conference championship will go a long way to make that case, but you wont have it for another year. I wouldn't be surprised if boisie goes undefeated, osu drops a game they shoudln't, and it gets to be boisie's year. Also... you know... before the season starts, its all anybody's guess. We're sure to get at least one big shocker of a surprise, and one team who really falls off the radar from the top 5 or 7.

Here's your shocker right here, LSU will take down Bama this year!

No, seriously, probably not, but you got to have hope! Anything's possible this year, and I think the SEC race will be closer this year than it has in quite a while. Can't wait for the season to start!

Geaux Tigers!!!

Here's your shocker right here, LSU will take down Bama this year!

No, seriously, probably not, but you got to have hope! Anything's possible this year, and I think the SEC race will be closer this year than it has in quite a while. Can't wait for the season to start!

Geaux Tigers!!!

I can't shake the feeling that Les Miles is LSU's version of Miami's Larry Coker. He inherited Saban's empire but I think he is too dumb to keep it up. I would expect them to decline for a bit, but after you guys get a new coach you'll contend once again. Louisiana and the surrounding LSU territories are too fertile recruiting grounds to allow them to be down forever.

I can't shake the feeling that Les Miles is LSU's version of Miami's Larry Coker. He inherited Saban's empire but I think he is too dumb to keep it up. I would expect them to decline for a bit, but after you guys get a new coach you'll contend once again. Louisiana and the surrounding LSU territories are too fertile recruiting grounds to allow them to be down forever.

:\ i'm thinking Les Miles time is coming to an end, unless he pulls something crazy out of the air (kicking Bama's ass, maybe?).

fark = buckeyes to be the sacrifical lamb in the BCS vs an SEC team ;)

the SEC isn't too intimidating this year. a lot of star power has left. I'll wager that they could compile an "All-SEC All-Star Team" and VS the Buckeyes... it would still be a game.

still have to stop Terelle Pryor. and if he learns how to throw... better watch out!

:\ i'm thinking Les Miles time is coming to an end, unless he pulls something crazy out of the air (kicking Bama's ass, maybe?).

I think you may be right. I'm not a big fan of Les, but I believe the bigger problem is with some of the assistants. Gary Crowton (offensive coordinator) has been in the system far too long and has yet to develop a solid QB. That and the offensive playbook we've been running is far too predictable.

I think if Miles wants to stick around, he needs to get of Crowton first, just my opinion.

My Predictions..

SEC: Florida or Bama
Pac 10: Oregon
Big 12: Nebraska
Big 10: Iowa
ACC: Da U
Big East, Mountain West, WAC: Who cares?

Oregon will go undefeated in the Pac 10. Especially if they start that speedy sophomore at Q and he steps up while having LaMicheal James to hand off and pitch too. Oregon will be a big play high scoring offensive team. The only team they'll have trouble with is Stanford, and Oregon State (because it's a hated rivalry). If they win the Pac 10 they will win the Rose Bowl as well. Unless they went undefeated and made it to the National Championship game. Chance of that happening 63%

I would love to see Miami beat Ohio State and show the nation just how overrated Ohio State and the Big Ten conference really is (sorry Big Ten and Ohio State fans :\). I think Miami might have a serious chance to make it to the National Championship game and win it if they don't shoot themselves in the foot during some game. If they did they would definitely win their bowl game. Chance of Miami making it to the NC game 85%

Yeah Bama lost a lot of starters but they still have the their Heisman winning RB with Mark Ingram, their coach.... and it's the south. No matter how many players these teams lose their recruiting is absolutely ridiculous and their new starters are amazingly talented. Same goes with Florida. Whichever of these teams goes to the National Championship game they will likely win it... especially if it's against a Big Ten team then... they'll destroy and the game won't even be fun to watch. Chance of this happening 95%

Nebraska has a chip on their shoulder and they are out for blood this year. I could see Nebraska being a team that goes undefeated this year. They want the Big 12 title more then any team and it's their last year to get it. Especially if they meet Texas in the title game for a chance to make it to the National championship. I don't see Texas going undefeated but definitely see them making it the the Big 12 title game. Gilbert is a really good QB but he'll need one more year to develop and become the leader of the Longhorns. Next year Texas will dominate the Big 12 and Nebraska.. they'll take the Big Ten title like taking candy from a baby. Nebraska making it to the NC game 93%

Iowa will take the Big Ten because they, as Wisconsin, are the only underrated teams in the Big Ten. I see Ohio State losing to Miami, Wisconsin and Iowa. They play @ Iowa (and @ Wisconsin) and that is a really tough place to play against a hard nose team. I would also like to see Ohio State travel to a school for the big beginning of the season games, and then see how tough they are without that intimidating stadium they play in. If Ohio State does take the Big Ten it will solidify my belief that the Big Ten is a joke and they will get destroyed by Nebraska next year. Chance of Iowa going to the National Championship game 68% Chance of them winning 35%

TCU, Boise State, BYU, and Utah all have to play good teams in a good conference week in and week out before I can ever respect them as a true contender.

The Big East winner will make it to a bowl game. 8)

Hope you liked it... Let me know either way.

All in all it's fucking great that football season is starting again. I look forward to this thread for the rest of the year. :)

My Predictions..

SEC: Florida or Bama
Pac 10: Oregon
Big 12: Nebraska
Big 10: Iowa
ACC: Da U
Big East, Mountain West, WAC: Who cares?

Oregon will go undefeated in the Pac 10. Especially if they start that speedy sophomore at Q and he steps up while having LaMicheal James to hand off and pitch too. Oregon will be a big play high scoring offensive team. The only team they'll have trouble with is Stanford, and Oregon State (because it's a hated rivalry). If they win the Pac 10 they will win the Rose Bowl as well. Unless they went undefeated and made it to the National Championship game. Chance of that happening 63%

I would love to see Miami beat Ohio State and show the nation just how overrated Ohio State and the Big Ten conference really is (sorry Big Ten and Ohio State fans :\). I think Miami might have a serious chance to make it to the National Championship game and win it if they don't shoot themselves in the foot during some game. If they did they would definitely win their bowl game. Chance of Miami making it to the NC game 85%

Yeah Bama lost a lot of starters but they still have the their Heisman winning RB with Mark Ingram, their coach.... and it's the south. No matter how many players these teams lose their recruiting is absolutely ridiculous and their new starters are amazingly talented. Same goes with Florida. Whichever of these teams goes to the National Championship game they will likely win it... especially if it's against a Big Ten team then... they'll destroy and the game won't even be fun to watch. Chance of this happening 95%

Nebraska has a chip on their shoulder and they are out for blood this year. I could see Nebraska being a team that goes undefeated this year. They want the Big 12 title more then any team and it's their last year to get it. Especially if they meet Texas in the title game for a chance to make it to the National championship. I don't see Texas going undefeated but definitely see them making it the the Big 12 title game. Gilbert is a really good QB but he'll need one more year to develop and become the leader of the Longhorns. Next year Texas will dominate the Big 12 and Nebraska.. they'll take the Big Ten title like taking candy from a baby. Nebraska making it to the NC game 93%

Iowa will take the Big Ten because they, as Wisconsin, are the only underrated teams in the Big Ten. I see Ohio State losing to Miami, Wisconsin and Iowa. They play @ Iowa (and @ Wisconsin) and that is a really tough place to play against a hard nose team. I would also like to see Ohio State travel to a school for the big beginning of the season games, and then see how tough they are without that intimidating stadium they play in. If Ohio State does take the Big Ten it will solidify my belief that the Big Ten is a joke and they will get destroyed by Nebraska next year. Chance of Iowa going to the National Championship game 68% Chance of them winning 35%

TCU, Boise State, BYU, and Utah all have to play good teams in a good conference week in and week out before I can ever respect them as a true contender.

The Big East winner will make it to a bowl game. 8)

Hope you liked it... Let me know either way.

All in all it's fucking great that football season is starting again. I look forward to this thread for the rest of the year. :)

And let the Buckeye hate start all over again.8)

Oh yeah how did Miami do against Wisconsin and the overrated Big 10 last year? Watching the U huddle around a heater like a bunch of pussies was quite pathetic. In Florida too. And the Big Ten last year in bowl games defeated the ACC champ and the Pac 10 champ.

OSU if they can beat Miami (and we saw Miami against a Big 10 team last year), they will set themselves up nicely for a possible NC game. Terrelle Pryor is undefeated in his career against Wisconsin and Iowa. And Ohio State does play tough road games every other season, which is a lot more than most teams can say. Some recent ones that come to mind: 2008 USC 2006 Texas. BTW, Iowa isn't really that tough for Ohio State. Everyone thinks Kennick Stadium is some massive deafening place to play. It barely holds over 70,000 fans. The Buckeyes get way more than that for a spring game. (not that the fans are intimidating at a spring game, just saying 70,000 isn't all that much) And OSU hasn't lost there in who knows how many years. At least not the last 5. OSU has won the Big Ten Championship the last 5 years. Why would a year when they have all the key guys coming back be any different?

In fact they schedule an out of conference road game every other year. And I know Miami does too, so that's good for them. Take a look at Florida. when was the last time they even left the state of florida for a non conference game? That's sad.

One thing about college football at least to me is that pretty much any of the good teams always have a chance to get lucky and win the whole thing. Every team uses a few breaks along the way. It's hard to say who will in it all. Bama, OSU, BSU, UF etc always have a great chance in August.

But I sure can't wait for the season. I am taking my newlywed wife to her first Ohio State game against Marshall for the season opener on 9/2. I am super stoked for it as I am sure it will be the greatest sporting event she's ever been too. The only other college football game she's been too as she is also an Indiana fan was Indiana-Iowa 2008 when it was extremely hot outside and her Hoosiers got blown out. She needs to have the real college football experience.

You know, I've been dying for you to come back so we can have another poke-fun season of NCAA football talk <3 (I left a post for you here, figured you'd appreciate it. ;) )

Oh yeah how did Miami do against Wisconsin and the overrated Big 10 last year? Watching the U huddle around a heater like a bunch of pussies was quite pathetic. In Florida too. And the Big Ten last year in bowl games defeated the ACC champ and the Pac 10 champ.

Um, tOSU > Oregon...@ the Rose Bowl which is essentially a home game for the Pac10 (but moreso if it were USCw again)....but the ACC win? C'mon :| Yeah, GT was good, ranked pretty even with the Iowa team that beat them by 10...@ the Orange Bowl (essentially home ground for ACC)...but the ACC is 2-10 in BCS games, that's a 0.167 winning percentage. Hardly something to beat your chest about, when they are 1-8 since 2000 :\ ). And yes, this is my weak assed attempt to pull attention away from a well earned Big10+2/tOSU win over a good Oregon team, and try to make people look at a win over the ACC as a cheap win....even though the GT team there was top 10 at the time. I'm lame, I know.

OSU if they can beat Miami (and we saw Miami against a Big 10 team last year), they will set themselves up nicely for a possible NC game. ...And Ohio State does play tough road games every other season, which is a lot more than most teams can say.

In fact they schedule an out of conference road game every other year. And I know Miami does too, so that's good for them. Take a look at Florida. when was the last time they even left the state of florida for a non conference game? That's sad.

You're right, they don't schedule strong OOC games in season, but for the ones they couldn't hide from, how'd they fare?

2009 Sugar Bowl (LA): UF 52 - CIN 24 WIN
2006 Fiesta Bowl (AZ): UF 51 - tOSU 14 WIN
I could stop there, but let's look deeper....
2004 Peach Bowl (GA): UF 10 - MIA 27 LOSS
2000 Peach Bowl (GA): UF 20 - MIA 37 LOSS

So, there are DAMN few OOC games played out of the state...at all. And as much as I want to say we seem to fare well when we do play OOC and out of state....those two MIA losses sting. I have to admit that as well. :\ The only partial argument I can try to offer is that a) it isn't our fault so many of the bowl games are played in our state, and b ) it isn't our fault we have two other teams in our state that are usually regarded as 'tough' OOC type games (FSU whom we have to play every year, state law; and MIA.....though USF is trying to be a decent #4).

Point to smotpoker.

Everyone thinks Kennick Stadium is some massive deafening place to play. It barely holds over 70,000 fans. The Buckeyes get way more than that for a spring game. (not that the fans are intimidating at a spring game, just saying 70,000 isn't all that much) And OSU hasn't lost there in who knows how many years. At least not the last 5. OSU has won the Big Ten Championship the last 5 years. Why would a year when they have all the key guys coming back be any different?

Sorry, I had to laugh at the image of 70k screaming fans for a spring game intimidating their freshmen...burning couches and flipping cars if the Scarlet beat the Gray by too many points ;)

Let's rephrase the last bit of your statement however - when the rest of the conference is continued to be viewed as weak(-ish) to the point where tOSU has won the Championship the last 5 yrs running, why would their team with so many returning players be viewed any differently? To the point of losing at Iowa....check your books, your memory of the last 5 yrs is true, you haven't lost there...but you only played them there once (2006). The time before that (2004), you lost. ;)

Still, in fairness, let's take a look at tOSU's OOC and out of state games:
2009 Rose Bowl vs Oregon 26-17 WIN!!
2009 @ Toledo 38-0 WIN .... wait, that's in Ohio, isn't it :\
2008 @ USC 35-3 LOSS
2008 Fiesta Bowl vs Texas 24-21 LOSS
2007 @ Washington 33-14 WIN
2007 BCS Nat'l Champ (LA) vs LSU 28-24 LOSS
2006 @ TX 24-7 WIN
2006 BCS Nat'l Champ (AZ) vs UF 41-14 LOSS
2005 Fiesta Bowl (AZ) vs ND 34-20 WIN
2004 @ NC State 22-14 WIN
2004 Alamo Bowl vs Ok St 33-7 WIN

.... I could go further, but I think your point stands....again. We all know the BCS woes tOSU has suffered....but that's a very slanted view (that I enjoy), but a full view shows they DO travel quite a bit, and DO fare reasonably well.

But I sure can't wait for the season. I am taking my newlywed wife to her first Ohio State game against Marshall for the season opener on 9/2. I am super stoked for it as I am sure it will be the greatest sporting event she's ever been too. The only other college football game she's been too as she is also an Indiana fan was Indiana-Iowa 2008 when it was extremely hot outside and her Hoosiers got blown out. She needs to have the real college football experience.

LOL....IND-IOWA is certainly not a 'real college football experience', so I hope she appreciates the step up of a home game for tOSU, even if it is against Marshall. Congrats on the wife. I was lucky, mine is a bigger football (college and pro) nut than most guys, but she's a fan of UF (she went there), and Virginia (she went there, but accepts it's hopeless), and ...uhg... Penn State (her brother went there, and the family flew out for their last Nat'l Championship (1986-87 Fiesta Bowl over MIA). Still, I know the good fortune of a man who's wife tells him to get all the TV's out for watching football on the weekend, and loves to attend games - home or away. <3 Good luck with yours, and hopefully you don't have to trade a date at the Horseshoe with a date at 'Paint your own Pottery' or somesuch to keep things even ;)

Thanks. And the wifey knows I watch football on Saturday from 11 am to usually bout 2 in the morning. I couldn't have married a girl who doesn't love football as much as me.

It'll only get worse until we have some actual games to talk about :|

Status
Not open for further replies.