• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The nuns growing and selling MARIJUANA as part of their mission to 'heal the world'

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Two nuns who grow and sell marijuana in from their California home are looking for a divine intervention to stop city officials from closing them down.

Sister Kate and Sister Darcy, who live in a three-bed 'abbey' in Merced produce cannabis from the adjoining garage.

They use the cannabinoids found in the plant to create a variety of products used to treat pain which are now selling out online.

Their homemade items will not get their customers high, but they are still facing closure because of new laws preventing residents from growing the drug on their properties.

31047DF000000578-0-image-a-35_1455034417417.jpg

31047D7900000578-0-image-a-49_1455036596681.jpg

Since they launched the business six months ago, the nuns' treatments have proved popular with sell-out products on their Etsy page.

The pair produces salves, tonics and tinctures from the plants for pain management.

They have low levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component that causes the high.

However, the abbey is being threatened with closure following new Californian marijuana legislation - which come into force in March.

The nuns are currently fighting the council's plans to ban the growth of medicinal marijuana.

Sister Kate, 56, said: 'The ban is clearly against the wishes of the citizenry. So that makes it immoral and unjust.

'Two hundred people or more turned out or more to make sure the city council didn't enact a ban, but they did anyway, under the guise of 'not understanding how to regulate.'

'The mayor indicated they have a 'yearning for learning', but it is a new yearning, because the medical marijuana legalisation has been in place for nineteen years, and just now, they decided to study the issue.'

31047DF900000578-0-image-a-36_1455034429414.jpg

31047DB400000578-0-image-a-47_1455034569174.jpg

With the popularity of her products, Sister Kate is hoping to expand her order.

Sister Kate, a mother-of-three, added that although they dress like catholic nuns their religion is New Age.

A description on their website reads: 'Based in California’s Central Valley, The Sisters of the Valley are not affiliated with any traditional earthly religion. The
Sisters’ spiritual practices support the process of making medicine.

'We respect the breadth and depth of the gifts of Mother Earth, working to bridge the gap between Her and her suffering people.

'The Sisters prepare all medicines during moon cycles, according to ancient wisdom. We are activists who are on a mission to heal the world.'

Merced is one of several cities and counties in California that are attempting to place bans on dispensaries and other commercial cannabis enterprises.

The bill was signed into law in October by California Governor Jerry Brown

31047D9800000578-0-image-a-37_1455034433535.jpg

31047E2900000578-0-image-a-46_1455034497810.jpg

31047DC600000578-0-image-a-48_1455034964685.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-abbey-mission-heal-world.html#ixzz3ziZhujdO

What's even more unfortunate is that there is a man who lives in Merced, Jason David, who has been successfully treating his son's Dravet Syndrome (intractable epilepsy) for years with cannabis. Under this new law, he is banned from continuing to produce his son's medicine.

Bless them. Working with one if God's finest creations.
How can some bureaucrats tell them that is somehow wrong?
I don't normally have much time for religious arguments - but this is crazy.

Why can't it be one of earth's finest creations?? Not to be that guy but they even mention being new age and not affiliated with any traditional earthly religions. I feel just as bad for the other people out there putting in the work for the cannabis industry only to be shit on by attempts to ban what has come so far.

Its staggering how much effort it takes to battle anti cannabis fools. Keep fighting ladies.

Bless them. Working with one if God's finest creations.
How can some bureaucrats tell them that is somehow wrong?
I don't normally have much time for religious arguments - but this is crazy.

Ya know, there was a time when coffee was forbidden in many parts of the world, and any nun harvesting coffee beans would have been punished severely, and the plant(s) were promptly burned to a cinder.

I guess my 'Captain Obvious' point is this: All religions have historically been interpreted and/or applied (in a lawful context) in a manner which has best-suited the vested interests of those in a position of power among the masses. And while many Christians will likely condemn me for this sentiment, their unyielding faith about the authenticity of a 2,000+ year old book - full of centuries of sinful human fingerprints - doesn't alter the fact that convenience has fundamentally influenced how religious books such as the Bible have been (and continue to be) interpreted and applied.

Thankfully, it appears that with the advent of the so called 'Information Age,' such practices are slowly but surely beginning to fade into obscurity as the percentage of the world's population continues to do away with believing in deities, sky gods and such.

Thankfully, it appears that with the advent of the so called 'Information Age,' nuns growing and selling a taboo plant can no longer be stigmatized and ostracized with bullshit propaganda from the mainstream media without more and more of us clearing realizing that such prohibitionist agendas are deceitful, untrustworthy, hypocritical, and should be treated as pure, unadulterated caca.

If someone would have told me 10 years ago that nuns would be growing and selling weed in 2016, I would have thought they had a far too optimistic vision of the future.

All in all, whether you believe in God or not, this story makes me feel optimistic about the war on (certain / some) drugs, in that it just may formally end in my lifetime.