• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Needle Stigma

Originally posted by ayjay
To give a counter-example: I flew from Sydney (Virgin) yesterday - in the toilets next to gate 35 was a sign; "Syringe disposal facilities are available at the First Aid room between gates 3 and 5". Do you really think anyone is going to take advantage of these marvellous "facilities"?

These are probably there for 'legitamate' needle users such as insulin dependent diabetics, etc.

This thread is about stigma: sure, some people litter, be it fastfood wrappers, ciggy butts or fits. The question is WHY do people get so much more disgusted about injecting litter (compared to, say, cigarette butts), given the low risk they represent?

Regardless of the risk being high or low, there is still a risk of contracting a terminal illness with syringes. The only thing you may get from a Mc Donalds wrapper is a mac-attack..... Hence the difference in levels of 'disgustedness'.

AYJAY

that's the stupidest thing Ive ever read... you are pretty much saying that it's *okay* to leave used prickas on the ground!

It's thinking like that, that people dont dispose of their shit properly!

Well I put my rubbish in a bin so I dont really care... but the fact is... it can happen and just because u dont have HIV or Hep does not mean u can just go tossing ur used Pricka on the ground!

If your going to do it that way then at least take the responsibility involved in that method!

I mean is it really that difficult to put it in a sealed container of some sort or put it in a sharps container?

How fucking Lazy/stupid are people getting it really isn't that hard... and AYJAY put yourself in the shoes of someone who has just stepped on a syringe.... and you try saying it hasn't happened yet BLA BLA BLA... Well what if you were the first mate???

For fucks sake make some sense! It's people with no common sense that think like that, that these things happen!

Also...

You say this, **WHY do people get so much more disgusted about injecting litter (compared to, say, cigarette butts), given the low risk they represent?**

WHY do female toilets have sanitary bins?
WHY is hospital waste a BIO-HAZARD???
WHY do we burn bio-hazards rather than put them in landfill?

So that the risk that is present (although very low) is no longer a risk, it is non-existant and no-one in the public can contract these illnesses, Viruses etc...

But however how many people in australia contract Hep, HIV etc... from Needle sharing and other forms of contraction through drug use, so it proves that it's there and it is not a non-existant thing!

I think the main reason junkies leave needles around is because of the way they are treated in society. Even some of the people who give out fitpacks at health centres are rude and wrinkle their nose every time they give one out.

If people are treated like shit by society then they won't care about it.

fun!

^spot on satricion

I must say I am excited with the emotions I am generating with my posts on this thread!

S-TBK - I'm not saying that it is "OK" to leave syringes lying around - just that it doesn't represent a particularly high risk. Also - I still stand by my thesis that the level of disgust displayed at injecting litter is disproportional to the level of risk - because of the stigmatisation of needles and injecting drug use (remember - that's the thread topic??!! ;) ).

And yes, many people who inject get hep C from sharing needles and other injecting paraphernalia - but there is a big difference between injecting fresh, infected blood into your veins, and stepping on an old needle - the stats prove it.

mrep69 - To suggest that disposal facilities are only intended for "legitimate" needle users is farcical - imagine the scenario: illicit injector sees bin and says "That bin's not for me as I am not a legitimate injector - I'll just have to drop my fit on the ground". From a public health perspective, maximising opportunities for disposal will minimise incidents of unsafe disposal. Put a syringe bin in every cubical for fuck's sake!!

DN - I didn't say it was a non-existent risk, just very low risk

mr king - I hope the mighty Flex's post helps you out - "no viral seroconversions" is the pertinent line. Your friend could probably ring the hepatitis C council in your state for more information - you can get contact details from the Australian Hepatitis Council website www.hepatitisaustralia.com

Let's bring the thread back to "needles and stigma, OK?

PS - As to sanitary bins in female toilets (s-TBK) - I would suggest that menstrual blood is also stigmatised to some extent - but that's a whole other topic (Don't go there girlfriend!! ;) )

When it comes to needle disposal I think one major thing gets overlooked... people who have big habits don't tend to be too fussed about hygiene ie. swabbing spoons, swabbing limbs, using a new water every time AND needle disposal. I'm not quite sure I agree with the stigma of being a user creating a lack of care, I think most people who don't dispose well are just really, really out of it and it's the last thing on their mind.

When I used to walk to my tramstop in the mornings and see fits lying in the gutters i'd think, "Dirty f*** arseholes." When I see a nice shiny fit sitting on my desk I think, "F*** cool." (Yellow container in the bin - only little bit cool). Imagery is a powerful thing, advertising/production agencies are masters of it and get paid heaps to apply it. Also maybe all the hype that went along with all the heavy anti-aids campaigning a few years back is playing on people's subconsious.
Just personally i don't mind the needle stigma being there, for me it makes the event even more exciting.

Re: fun!

ayjay said:

mrep69 - To suggest that disposal facilities are only intended for "legitimate" needle users is farcical - imagine the scenario: illicit injector sees bin and says "That bin's not for me as I am not a legitimate injector - I'll just have to drop my fit on the ground". From a public health perspective, maximising opportunities for disposal will minimise incidents of unsafe disposal. Put a syringe bin in every cubical for fuck's sake!!

I agree to some point. But at the end of the day, are the 'junkies' that widespread that they are injecting in airports??

I mean, if someone is injecting an illegal drug into their arms JUST before they get onto an airplane, doesn't that just prove the point of this thread that needle users are rightfully considered JUNKIES that have not only been there and back, but are still there!!???!!???!!

yes soooo true!

I might sound like I got a thing for dissin junkees, not tru... a few of my good mates are junkees, but they are also responsible with their actions!

;)

Carbine said:
Why is it that once you use needles people assume that you've gone to hell with no way back? I'm sick and tired of hearing people associate needle usage with death, decay, lack of morals etc etc.

My reasons for thinking that about needle users is one I gained from personal experience. I have never used needles myself but I still feel I've been a victim of them. I was a heavy meth user (smoking) for probably two and a half years so I am not an idiot when it comes to this drug. I watched friends progress with their addiction, and in my experience, the ones who shot up their poison were the ones to hit rock bottom faster.

Losing the friends was painful, but the most painful thing, and probably that which leaves me most bitter about IV'ers, is the circumstances in which a very serious relationship broke down because of it. Before the breakdown, we used to use together, and things were good, and I also knew how much my partner was using. He didn't tell me when he first shot up, and stupid me didn't see what was happening at the time, but it was from that day I lost him. Suddenly I was uncovering lies just as quick as he bured them. Increased usage. Cheating. Stealing. All mixed in with the fact I wasn't IV'ing all constituted him having no time for me so the drugs won.

I'm sorry but to me using needles is associated with 'death, decay and lack of morals'. I am fully aware that its not a definate that if you shoot up you will become a junkie and lose everything, but I have experienced it in that order enough times to realise I no longer have the patients to sit around and wait and see.

Straight away when people hear the work FIT or NEEDLE they think junkie. It's easier for society to disagree with the use of needles rather than try to understand it. Its a no win situation and needles will never be socially acceptable to everyone, sometimes its better just to keep quiet rather than show people your tracks. I have a fair few friends who shoot speed and heroin, and thats fine i don't judge. People are just too uptight.

How much more can you show love for your drug than by making it soluble, putting it a needle, than injecting it in your arm.......

No wonder needle users are considered junkies by common society. They're in love with their drug.

Love makes you blind. It puts you in a mode of insanity. It makes you put the love above everything else. It's been proven.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.ravesafe.org/drugz/love.htm

I understand the link is not from a medical journal, and I'm not saying it's gospel, but do a small search on google, and ye will find.......

Some people are junkies of love.

Others are just junkies of what they love.

Last edited:
I think there's stigma just because if someone's going to inject their drugs it means that they're taking the process really seriously. They obviously really like their drugs and are really concerned with making them work the most effectively. It's not a game or just a mere social activity or 'I'll have a line becuase everyone else is having one' anymore - but it's a really serious activity. I mean youve gotta go through all the preparation - gotta make sure you filter stuff - gotta know what the fuck you're doing so that you don't seriously injure yourself - and you can't share needles like you can notes when snorting speed.
I just also find injecting a bit full on, only because I've seen people after they've injected speed and they're just rolling around on the floor - you can't talk to them - you've gotta give them 15 mins to themselves - I find people in this state very animalistic - you're really seeing the bare person - and not everyone can handle this. Or at least I don't think the general public could if they put it on tv.

After a long time and alot of consideration I used needles with speed. I had my husband (someone I trust) do the deed and of course used a cleanie. And I tell ya.....it was awsome!!!!
I still don't do it very often and I think it's related to the steryotype of being a junkie, and it's just too hard compared to other methods. I do believe that if done properly it is safer as you don't end up doing any damge to your nose or lungs. Each to their own.

funluvingurl said:
and you can't share needles like you can notes when snorting speed.

Actually, not true... if the person you are sharing your "tube" for snorting with, has aids and/or hepatitis, it is quite possible to contract either virus by sharing... just think about how many cuts, blood and flesh is up your nasal passage... you'd be suprised.

nah not trying to scare ppl Hell I've shared notes too LOL, but I didnt think of it til you said it dude LOL

:D

i always keep a half broken biro tube in my wallet. so im always prepared. : )

Even though I haven't tried it, I say each to their own. Australia is lucky in the fact that there is alot of information available, so if you do your homework and be careful it's just one more way of taking.

Re: Re: fun!

mrephedrine69 said:
I agree to some point. But at the end of the day, are the 'junkies' that widespread that they are injecting in airports??

I mean, if someone is injecting an illegal drug into their arms JUST before they get onto an airplane, doesn't that just prove the point of this thread that needle users are rightfully considered JUNKIES that have not only been there and back, but are still there!!???!!???!!

Sorry about the time lag but.....

MrEp, you seem to be saying that being dependent on a drug is some kind of moral failing - that these "JUNKIES" are of less worth than other humans because of their dependence on a drug. Do you really mean this? Have you ever been dependent on nicotine? Or caffeine? (Even in the simplistic physical sense of experiencing a withdrawal syndrome) For these drugs (especially the latter - or should I say latte ;) ), being dependent is socially acceptable. Is the different emotional response to heroin dependence totally rational, or is there some prejudice at play here?