Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

KINGCRIMSON

Greenlighter
I've always had the impression that the justice system in australia as a bunch of ultra right wing conservative pricks who just love nothing more than ruining anyone buzz at any cost because they are miserable bunch of ultra conservative right wing pricks. When they were the first country to lead the war on MDMA and made every stimulant the could conceive of totally illegal, Anyway i saw The Mule last night and its was one of the most disturbing drug/crime whatever movie ive ever scene. If this is even close to a realistic portrait of the australian drug scene and the justice system then you people are all nuts ! I'm from canada eh, and i always just assumed since you guys were an english british colony and whatever that you would be much like us. Easy going have a good time liberal party people and you know live and let live. Not like the US i guess I'm trying to say. I down loaded the mule as a comedy about 25% in I was thinking I made a mistake. Then it got worse by the middle when he did that deed in the bed while the cop was passed out (You know the thing I mean) I nearly threw up. If this movie comes even 25% close to the justice system and the drug scene. Then man I don't know where you guys made the wrong turn but you're screwed ! I'm watching housebound now and it seems aussie and surprise surprise the chick who is blowing up the cash machine is a meth abuser and blah, blah blah. the whole 1st scene with the cash machine and the court room ands what they say about her. Are you people obsessed with drug abuse ? like is that one of the big scare tactics the government uses on the middle class ? constant news stories about crazed meth addicts running a muck in the streets. hahahahaah I'm just screwing around, dont take me serious. EVER

Last edited:
I saw the movie. I think I read it was based off a crime that happened in NZ? Although they did set it in Victoria (Aus) and from the 80's or something like that from memory.

We have pretty lenient drug laws here in Australia in comparison to many other parts of the world. I didn't find the movie disturbing in the slightest. It's just a movie mate. Don't base your views on Aus or our drug scene off that.

This was partially inspired by a true story. Were you at all familiar with it before picking up the script?

Angus Sampson: The bit that I guess inspired it all was somebody had been arrested and refusing to go to the toilet was his only defense. In his defense, he would put the pellets back in his bum because you can’t stop your digestive system. The gastroenterologist that we went and saw [while we were doing research said], “There’s no way that guy could have lasted that long.”‎ But ‎sure enough, when we did more research [we learned] the pellets were coming out and he was putting them back in his bum. He’d wake up and they would come out. Jaime had learned about this incredible incident that ended up lasting 22 days in New Zealand and that was the jumping off point. Leigh loved the idea of the human being the ticking time bomb.

http://moveablefest.com/moveable_fest/2014/03/mule-leigh-whannell-angus-sampson.html

Imagine I came out with this 'discussion' about Canadians -

Hey everybody, I've been watching this show called 'Intervention' and there is a whole season of it set in Canada and I was really disturbed by how much crack, G and meth everyone there seems to do, oh and so many alcoholics too! I am just wondering if this is a realistic portrayal of how Canadians use drugs? Or is the show just trying to scare everyone about how badly addicted to crack and meth etc everyone there is?

ps) I'm just screwing around with you! Don't take me seriously, ever!

:D

Last edited:
MAILING-LIST_wakeinfright.jpg

Wake in fright -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Storyline

Wake in Fright is the story of John Grant, a bonded teacher who arrives in the rough outback mining town of Bundanyabba planning to stay overnight before catching the plane to Sydney. But his one night stretches to five and he plunges headlong toward his own destruction. When the alcohol-induced mist lifts, the educated John Grant is no more. Instead there is a self-loathing man in a desolate wasteland, dirty, red-eyed, sitting against a tree and looking at a rifle with one bullet left... Written by Anonymous

User Reviews

Kotcheff's walkabout
28 April 2002 | by soaringhorse – See all my reviews
It's been said: "The best film ever made about Australia was directed by a Canadian." Possibly true. "Outback/Wake in Fright" is one of those films which gets a little too close for comfort. Unlike most Australians, those of us who grew up in the country will recognise a lot in this film, not always with displeasure.

What a strange, malleable career Ted Kotcheff has had. Of late he has retired to the relative comfort of making TV movies and even contributed to "Law and Order SVU". Yet like Nicolas Roeg ("Walkabout"), Kotcheff's brief spot of work in Australia was a wake-up call to a blinkered urban population (or those that went to the movies at any rate) to the complexity of the outback, in all its bloody glory, dispensing with the romantic pills we were used to swallowing. Kenneth Cook's novel should be held in equal regard, but his writing doesn't get much press these days, which is a shame.

Television prints of this film - rarely shown these days - heavily censor the kangaroo kills, which says a lot about the hypocrisy of the city. Uncut version is essential viewing.

Full Movie -

[video=youtube_share;ImZEkPkHWAQ]http://youtu.be/ImZEkPkHWAQ[/video]

wake-in-fright-poster1.png

Last edited:
Wake in Fright is a fucking amazing film.
Seriously.

It doesn't matter if you like Australian cinema (I don't, generally).
This is one film that I spend years recommending to people before they eventually bother to watch it and - every single time - they say it was amazing.

Me and my brother have been trying to force our other brother to watch it for, going on, ten years now.
When he finally does watch it, like all the others, he will apologize and admit that he was wrong to be hesitant.

Hehhhe. Yeah, it's great, I should have made it a separate thread I guess, but I thought kingcrimson might like to watch it. Or anyone who hasn't seen it really.

I hadn't thought about it for ages really until 1kw said wolf creek and I was trying to think of some of the better Aussie based movies I've seen before and it popped into my head.

I should recommend it to some of my friends and family.

Better Aussie movies than Wolf Creek: The Castle (comedy), The Interview (thriller), The Infinite Man (science fiction), Snowtown Murders (crime), Small Fish (drama), Shine (biopic)... this list includes two of Hugo Weaving's best roles, IMO... in Little Fish, as the gay heroin addict veteran football player... and in the Interview as, well, the opposite of his role in The Mule (sort of)...

Last edited:
Australia has more expensive drugs than the US, but less harsh penalties for possession / sales / trafficking.

The drugs are expensive simply because we're in the middle of fucking nowhere and we have a small population.
(It's [relatively] easy to get shit across the border in the US.)

You pay for the risk that other people take, more than you pay for the drugs... Even though the penalties are less than many other countries, the odds of being caught are heightened since there is no way to sneak across the border unnoticed.

I've lived in (small island) countries that don't have coke, ecstasy or acid.
When the cops drive past, locals literally swallow their shitty weed.
Oz isn't that bad.

Well that makes perfect sense.

I do however have a friend that was extradited back to Oz on money laundering, trafficking (cocaine), trafficking (marijuana), and extortion charges
(you would recognize the case if I posted his name.) He was facing 3 life sentences. (13 ish years ago) Did 10, and got deported.

Doesn't sound very "less harsh" to me (lol)

We have never had any 3 strikes and you're out bullshit. A life sentence here is sometimes less than 30 yrs (for any crime).

Compared to Asian places that have the death penalty for drugs, we have it easy.

We have had a system called the 'cannabis caution' scheme in most states and territories for ages now, I think it's basically Aus wide. A couple of places you are allowed to grow a few (outdoor) plants and not get much more than a fine if caught.

If you keep getting caught with drugs like MDxx, Coke, heroin, meth, LSD etc etc then you can and will probably do some jail time, especially if it is larger amounts.

In times past some judges have been pretty strict in drug sentencing and can still be to some extent, it's not all roses and rainbows here, but as said we dont have people doing life sentences without the chance of parole for weed or coke or heroin. Maybe for some really nasty crimes like mass murder or some other horrible shit.

That's my take on it anyway. I've lived here 40 yrs.

Who's your friend, i'll look into the case? Or you dont wont to say?

That was great.

Animal Kingdom I thought was good. Candy I liked. Both drug style movies.

Oh yeah Little Fish too.

A relatively recent Aussie show I enjoyed was Puberty Blues. Based on the novel by the Australian writers Gabrielle Carey and Kathy Lette. I just liked all the old memories of those days when I was pretty young and growing up. Beach, school, sex, drugs + booze, old cars and clothing styles etc.

Last edited:
little fish was my favourite film of that year.

Predestination is a pretty good recent Australian film. Romper Stomper and Bad Boy Bubby are both equally brutal and entertaining

Has any one mentioned Yahoo Serious's Young Einstein?

^ Yeah I liked all those too. I haven't seen Predestination though, I'll try and watch it sometime if i come across it.

Yea man that Housebound movie is one of the funniest movies ive ever seen. I should kind of explain why I think there is a connection between bluelight and Australia, because there is. As far as I remember bluelight started in Australia in response to the incredibly strict laws created against MDMA and any drug even remotely connected to MDMA. I may be a greenlighter but I was around when bluelight started. I think I had an acc soon after under another name. Anyway in my mind bluelight will always be first and foremost an Australian site. And Australia is making some awesome movies right now.

Doesn't sound very "less harsh" to me
I don't think your friends situation adequately portrays the difference between Australian and US penalties. I don't know who your friend is or how much money he laundered, the weight of coke/weed he was attempting to traffic, or anything about his criminal history... To make an accurate comparison between the US and Australia, I'd need those details and a similar case to compare it to. I can't imagine that he'd be slapped on the wrist in the United States, either, or practically anywhere else in the world.

There are certain states in the US that have absolutely ridiculous penalties for possession.
as someone already said:
we dont have people doing life sentences without the chance of parole for weed or coke or heroin

We have had a system called the 'cannabis caution' scheme in most states and territories for ages now, I think it's basically Aus wide... If you keep getting caught with drugs like MDxx, Coke, heroin, meth, LSD etc etc then you can and will probably do some jail time, especially if it is larger amounts.

Emphasis on "keep"... Cops are pretty lenient in Australia, assuming that you don't have a criminal history.

Last edited:
PoleDriver... The fella you found is my Bro.

I just couldn't PM to verify it (newbie time limit.)

No worries. Hopefully he turns things around. How long is he in for? Or is he out?