• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The most effective drug policy would be to allow them all

romans_ghost

Bluelighter
The most effective drug policy would be to fully decriminalize and medically regulate across the board. Have clinics that provide substances, and places to use under supervision, and following use and come down, have a team of care workers approach the user.
Finding out the cause of the use and offering, not forcing, an alternative. Is it depression? Chronic pain? Lonlieness? Sudden loss? Whatever it may be, an alternative can be offered up, and the option for refusal allowed.

General use would drop. Youth use would all but disappear. ODs and drug related diseases would dramatically decrease. Violent crime and theft would even drop. Turning it into a medical experience that people could access for free would reduce risk, and ultimately deter most people over time from using.

Of course that's true.

I don't know if your glowing assessment in your final paragraph would always be true, but the drug war is always the greater of evils. Good example is opiates. I don't know what the best path to "allowing" people opiates would be... that's complicated. However, Fentanyl has definitely shown that the total ban on them is the more harmful option.

I was hella sleep deprived when i wrote this. But i do believe if people were allowed safe use, and supervised places to use at, while being offered a realistic alternative by a holistic team of workers over a period of time, if they had their resources met. Yes, people would use for a time, but in the long run i believe this method of acceptance would lower the amount of users

Yeah, I do both fully agree, not only would a full legalization (not just decriminalization as Portugal and Uruguay did) prevent much of collateral damage, poverty and destroyed lives due to law enforcement activities but also cut off a significant amount of crime, specially organized crime etc and free up space in prison currently occupied by non violent drug offenders. The availability of pure and properly declared drugs would also prevent so many overdose cases and be the most effective harm reduction measures possible.

Also there are some high profile people voting for full legalization like senior addiction professionals or ex law enforce agents.

But I also, of course, see the potential problems of drugs being openly available to anybody, specially opioids which are almost impossible to use scarcely because of physical addiction but as today many people don't do drugs not just because they're illegal but because people are scared off addiction risk, so would it be with proper harm reduction and legal drugs. People would still know that addiction is real and I'd speculate that while total users count wouldn't necessarily go down, but harm would certainly.

People still continue to IMO falsely rather naively imagine that the ptb actually care!

Like it's a problem not being properly tackled.

It's a system and it changes how and when they please.

The problem is the DeA and CIA would no longer have access to vast slush funds of black/seized cash, and lose all their funding for narco shit, let alone the loss it would pose to the prison lobby. So fucked

But of course that'd be the best policy!
But when the cia (or mossad or others) will need untraced funds (millions of $) to run one of their dirty ops, commit coups in poor countries or bribe politicians in first world countries they'll ask you for those $$$!!!
Not considering also the fact that people in power don't like mind-awaken citizens so they're a tiny bit contrary to free drugs for all.

The problem is the DeA and CIA would no longer have access to vast slush funds of black/seized cash, and lose all their funding for narco shit, let alone the loss it would pose to the prison lobby. So fucked
exactly, like when Evo kicked them out of Bolivia...wonder what the hell they were doing there? :unsure:

And half of the drugs that *were* legal turned out to be some of the scariest (Spice/K2, "Bath Salts", 25I-NBOMe, etc.).
Well this was more of a grey area instead of really legal. Not for human consumption, no warnings and dosage information allowed, and taken out of pharmaceutical research so not that tested either. That said, the bath salts weren't so scary if you refer to alpha-PVP at least, I liked that stuff.

A little common sense goes a long way, but it seems as though the officials who make the rules really don't know much about the substances themselves.
Unfortunately they indeed know shit about drugs. People who have more realistic insights like addiction counselors etc tend to be more open to legalization because they witnessed the damage the current war on drugs policy does.

It isn't hard to believe that really the leaders or some of them profit of illegality, like what has been wrote about the DEA and black money. Sigh. Makes more sense than them being worried about our health at least. But I wonder about other countries than the states, if they blindingly follow or profit as well.

Parts of Canada are starting the decriminalization of small quantities.
Our methadone clinics give hydromorph but you have to pick up daily. There's a safe injection site there also.
Luckily (depending how you look at it) I have MS so I got a hydromorph monthly script.
But Canada is far superior to the USA and other countries when it comes to harm reduction.
We can buy alcohol which is just as damaging so we should be able to buy heroin imo

I assume the cartels would die out overnight, and all the money that goes into illegal drugs would end up in revenue.

I've always said this about marijuana for years. If a responsible adult needs medical MJ, which is safer... getting the proper strain legally from an educated dispensary employee, or a baggie from some sketchy-looking dude on a street corner downtown?

And half of the drugs that *were* legal turned out to be some of the scariest (Spice/K2, "Bath Salts", 25I-NBOMe, etc.).

A little common sense goes a long way, but it seems as though the officials who make the rules really don't know much about the substances themselves.
Like the testing on Cannabis for pesticides, polluntants and the info on ammounts of THC/ THCa/ CBD and Terpenes. Officially its not allowed. Some Coffeeshops still do it despite this. Suver Nuver still makes his special oil, only waterbased.

Its like we are only circumventing the law's. For a product that essentially should be legal.

I remember a 60 minutes special on the "English System". They don't anymore, but England apparently at one time gave Heroin to someone who proved themselves addicted.
A Naloxone test to show addiction and the govt would set up the junkie with an apartment, find them a job, and supply their habit. To continue to receive their stuff, they had to keep the job and apartment.

So, no crime committed by the addict and they paid taxes as a contributing member of society. They were also kept healthy and apparently many junkies age out of their habit.

Seems a place to start.

Portland decriminalized drugs and it was and still is a complete disaster

Portland decriminalized drugs and it was and still is a complete disaster

Decriminalization is a pointless half-ass solution that some people have bought into for diplomacy reasons.

Legalization is the serious proposal. The arguments are clear-cut and non-negotiable within a democratic paradigm. Is it a "democracy" or not? Is it "free" or not? Can people make their own choices or not? Criminalization of drugs has always been a fascist move.

We don't have to discuss consequences. It is a basic freedom.

One obvious problem is that if legalization/decriminalization of drugs is local and free movement allowed (such as between federal states), it will attract unhealthy and unproductive people from other places. But we should of course not abstain from implementing basic democratic freedoms out of sheer cowardice.

I love this thread!
It would be a great thing if people were allowed to choose for themselves what they need.
I am of the opinion that many of us have underlying health issues that we have desperately been trying to regulate.
We know what we need.
After I had a bad car accident and it brought forward the Migraine- cluster headache and sleep disorder that I have been dealing with for so long and I got to a doctor who just simply asked me what I needed, I found I actually asked for the least amount that I could get by with and I was able to get access to pain medication without the poison acetaminophen that almost killed me.

Many good points of why they (the greedy bastards who decide everyone’s fate) do not allow this.
They do not like awake and free thinking minds and souls.
They care only for profit at the price of everyone’s health and they care not for all the human wreckage they leave in their wake.
As long as they get that money, power, and control!