• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

"The metabolism of X can be decreased when combined with Y"....is that good or bad?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Am I right in thinking that taking X and Y together in this situation means that Y will cause X to stay in your system for longer?

It means X will be metabolized more slowly. X might last longer and its effect might be stronger than usual.
That usually means that Y is competing with the same enzyme/s that metabolize X or that Y is inhibiting said enzymes. It may be a good thing if want to extend the duration of X (if you know what you're doing) but it can also increase some side effects and the chances of overdosing.

Can you be more specific? Which drugs are you talking about?

It means X will be metabolized more slowly. X might last longer and its effect might be stronger than usual.
That usually means that Y is competing with the same enzyme/s that metabolize X or that Y is inhibiting said enzymes. It may be a good thing if want to extend the duration of X (if you know what you're doing) but it can also increase some side effects and the chances of overdosing.

Can you be more specific? Which drugs are you talking about?

Diazepam being X and some of my meds (Sodium Valproate, Naproxen, Antihistamines, Nicotine) all acting as Y.

Thanks for the answers btw guys :)
Y causing either a stronger effect or longer duration of action of X was the desirable result.

Isn't diazepam metabolized by CYP2D6, the one that grapefruit juice and cimetadine inhibit, in a manner that makes the effects significantly stronger? I'm pretty sure I used to take cimetadine to potentiate diazepam, back when I could score that, instead of just RC benzos.

Sodium Valproate is a gabaergic, isn't it? Be mighty careful with mixing benzos and gabaergics.

It would be good for valium I think as reducing the speed of breaking down the valium will cause more to be in the system longer and possibly create a higher peak due to buildup. With something like codeine you would want to increase the metabolism for increased effect because it is metabolised into the drug that actually creates the effect (morphine) so with some drugs you don't want them broken down with others they need to be metabolized in order to work and the more you can break them down the greater the effect.

Find out if you're a slow or fast (or really slow or really fast) metabolizer first before seeking such drug combinations. Here in the U.S. state insurances are beginning to cover this at no cost: but you have to ask your prescriber they don't come out and offer it. (Maybe it decreases their credit with the insur. co. I assume)