• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

Ah yeah. I'll have to take my chance as far as leaving them in luggage holds and lockers and what not. I don't mind paying to check my baggage on the planes.

Trust me, I'd travel lighter if I could, but there is no way in hell all my stuff would fit into a 35L bag or even the 50L bags I looked at. You're lucky you don't need a lot of special things. I have to buy everything special to make sure it's safe for my celiac disease, even shampoo and conditioner! So I can't just buy whatever. Even toothpaste has to be made sure to be safe. And the medication for my skin rash that I get because of my condition comes in this big bottle and I need to use a lot of it daily. It sucks! Plus I have to have room to pack a lot of food and carry it around with me (and have room to stock up on food when I get there too) since I never know where I might get stuck somewhere with nothing to eat. Gotta have special energy bars and all sorts of shit like that. Grrr. I fucking hate celiac.

I wonder what it would be like to just be a healthy normal person who could just do whatever. Must be nice. *bitter* :( /end rant.

I don't mind paying to check my baggage on the planes.

It's more about the convenience of being able to walk straight off the plane and out the airport instead of hanging about praying your bag hasn't been lost in transit. Saves a lot of time as well.

Shame you have to carry so much stuff for your celiac problem. No way round it I guess. Don't get too down about it though, you'll have a great time. :)

Thanks! I'm just doing my best with what I got. I'm hoping to find some sort of magical way to cure it so it wont be a problem anymore. And yeah, I TOTALLY know what you mean, every time I've flown anywhere I've always had checked bags and there is always this horrible few minutes watching the baggage come out where I don't see my stuff and I'm like OMG THATS IT IT'S LOST TRIP RUINED WAHHHHHH! ...and then I see it finally come out last lol.

The good thing is I always feel like I won a prize or something when I realize it wasn't actually lost bwahaha

word on the small bags and the commando (that goes without saying for me though. it was -28C where I live yesterday and I still went commando). I once backpacked through thailand for a month with a backpack that I brought on carry on on the plane. it's so much easier. I brought:

pair of cargos that zip into shorts
2 x shorts
hoodie
rain shell (didn't ever use it)
flip flops (bought in bangers)
runners
5 x pairs of socks
bathing suit
3 x wife beaters
3 x t shirts (too many)
silk sleeping bag
towel
toothbrush
toothpaste
soap

then I bought another bag in bangkok on my way home and filled it with badass clothes I bought there. I don't think I've bought a new pair of jeans since 2004. $20 diesel jeans > $200 diesel jeans.

I've had to get rid of some of the posts in this thread. Can we please try to keep this on topic? Thanks. :)

What do you guys do as far as washing your clothes? Bring detergent and find laundry places in big cities?

Depends on the city.

In southeast Asia as well as the Middle East (of the places I've been to), although coin-ops do exist (particularly in apartment buildings), "Laundry" usually means someone who will do the washing (detergent and all) as well as ironing if you'd like.

I have to say, laundry is one of my biggest annoyances while travelling.

Laundry is one of my biggest annoyances period. lol

Id be fine with paying someone to do it.

I bought my plane tickets today! Woooo!

Woo

What jabs have you had done?
I'm cutting it a bit fine, wanted to head out mid Jan but I've not had any jabs and got to send off for a new passport

No jabs. Fuck all that shit. I don't do that. I looked and it's not required. The only requirement is yellow fever IF you are coming from a yellow fever country. Which I'm not. I haven't had any vaccinations since I was a baby.

LOL at calling them jabs. I'd never in my life heard them referred to that way til I started checking out travel forums.

You need Hep B jab for Asia. Yellow Fever jab is not required.

As for laundry you can buy travel detergent in chemists that you just mix with some hot water in a sink and hand wash your clothes. Some hostels (in Europe at least) have machines. In Asia you'll find people who will wash, iron and fold your stuff really well for pittance, well worth it. Also some hostels offer laundry services. If you are washing yourself then just hang them to dry in your room, on balcony, out window, wherever. Peice of string and some pegs can be handy.

I just didn't wash my clothes in my mouth in Europe, well not properly just chuck em in a sink of hot water and rub them about a bit. :D

I checked numerous sources and they said the only required vaccination is yellow fever but only if you are coming in from a yellow fever country.

Are you sure it was LEGALLY required? I understand it's recommended, there's tons of jabs that are recommended and I'm not getting any of them. I understand it's risky, but it's my personal choice. Or wait, I just noticed you said "Asia" not specifically Thailand. Where exactly did you go that they told you it was legally required?

I found this:

Do I need any vaccinations to enter Thailand?
No vaccinations are required except for yellow fever if you are coming from an area where the disease is present. However visitors should be inoculated against typhoid, cholera, hepatitis A & B, tetanus and polio. Malaria is present in most of the region and it is advisable to take precautions, especially if travelling off the beaten track. It is essential to take out a good medical insurance policy before travelling.

from this site:

http://www.exotissimo.com/travel-asia/thailand/faq3.html

Don't know how reliable that particular site is, but I've researched this quite a bit and checked many different sources including the center for disease control and prevention and I get the same results from all, recommended, but not required.

Unless something has recently changed. But I would think the center for disease control and other main travel health organization websites would be up to date?

i cant stress enough the need to pack lightly if you plan to walk long distances at any point in your journey. carry only the essentials. its best to not be seen as a traveler for various reasons. you're gonna need cash, warm clothes, good travel food, health supplements and medicine, valid identification, AND a sharp wit. it might not hurt to carry a weapon (check state laws about concealment first.)

It's rather impossible not to "look like a traveler" though, you know? I mean doesn't anyone with a big rucksack look like a traveler?

I'm packing as light as possible but I'm a girl and there are a lot of things I need and it's just not really realistic that I wouldn't look like a traveler, some things can't be avoided.

dont carry a rucksack then. carry a tote bag. alot is to be said about not looking like a traveller. its all about how everyone you come in contact with will respond to you, wether it be locals, business owners, desperate people, cops... its best to just look like someone going about their day.

Uhhh.. after spending 250 on my new rucksack I REALLY don't think I'm gonna leave it home. :)

Besides, dude.. I mean people buy these expensive, well fitted packs for a reason. It would be pretty miserable walking around lugging all your possessions in a tote bag.

A lot may be said about not looking like a traveller, but also a lot can be said for traveling comfortably with a good pack that carries weight well. If I was going to have to lug my 20 pounds of shit around in a tote bag, I honestly wouldn't even go.

Fuck fear. I am a traveller and I don't care who knows it. I'm not apologizing or pretending to be something I'm not out of fear.