• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

various IDs, passports, stamps, credit cards.

In sets.

Extremely fucking useful if you need to vanish for WHATEVER reason.

make sure you hide them well! ;)

Get a silk sleeping bag, roll up realllllly small, very light and perfect for humid conditions

this is exactly what I was going to suggest. these things are absolutely essential, and not just for hot climates. They're great if you're staying in cheap, shitty hostels which may have let's just say 'questionable' hygenic standards. wrap yourself up in one of those and you can use as many of their scuzzy blankets as you want without picking up any stowaways.

toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, deodorant, talcum powder, liquid soap (other toiletries here) small scissors (comes in handy when you least expect it) pen and paper, baby wipes, isopropyl alcohol, hand sanitizer, safety pins, nail clipper, brush or comb, hair ties, basic medication for emergencies, tissue paper, face towel, CELPHONE.

I was thinking:
TOWEL :p
harddrive music player, at least 20GB
camera+card reader
deodorant
mutivitamins
fish oil pills
rubber bands
several shirts/shorts/pants/boxers
a hoodie
socks
notebook, pencils, lead, erasers
maybe small, indelicate smoking device

Don't take the music player, more too carry, could get lost or stolen but you seriously will get pissed off carrying it about along with your passport, phone, camera, wallet etc.

Multivits and fish oil pills. No definitely unneccessary.

Rubber bands? Nope.

Several shirts/shorts etc? Not several no. The rule of 3. One of everything to wear, one set to to change into and one set spare.

Hoodie? Yes could be useful.

Notebook, pencils etc? NO!

Smoking devices? NO!

This is what you need:
3 sets of clothes that mix and match and include a combo of shorts / trousers that fit all scenarios.
Hooded top.
Swim shorts.
Comfortable shoes that go with everything.
Flip flops.
Travel tower (compact and dry much quicker than normal towels).
Toothbrush.
Toothpaste.
Small roll on deodrant.
Razor.
Soap.

That's seriously about it. Travel light and take a small amount regardless of how long you're going away for you can always wash stuff.

thespade: so you really think flipflops and a razor are more important than paper and pencil??

I can argue too ;)

3 sets of clothes that mix and match and include a combo of shorts / trousers that fit all scenarios. --
That's agreeable

Hooded top. -- um, not really THAT important.

Swim shorts. -- also not that important.

Comfortable shoes that go with everything. -- Sure.

Flip flops. -- I never, ever wear those.

Travel tower (compact and dry much quicker than normal towels). -- ok

Toothbrush. -- see toothpase.

Toothpaste. -- if you're travelling for just a few days (or going to a place where you can buy these), mouthwash is enough.

Small roll on deodrant. -- why?

Razor. -- why?

Soap. -- agreed.

I'd strongly recommend a journal for any type of adventurous traveling. If I had to choose one thing to keep from my experience overseas it would be the journal I kept while away.

passport
ticket
backpack/suitcase
valium
ipod
contaception
notebook
pen
sturdy shoes and flip flops
underwear
ghd (unless I'm going to a humid location)
shampoo and conditioner (would depend on location again as I won't use just anything)

Everything else I'd just buy over there.

I would definitely take a notebook & pencil.

Totally. So fuckin helpful. You'll never know when you have to write down something you will need to remember, make lists, tally your expenses, write down phone numbers and addresses ...endless.

Indeed I never even wear anything other than flip flops when the weather gets above 75 degrees. :)