• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The marijuana effect - 60 mins, USA

cnn are PISSED that colorado has legalised recreational marijuana.

"everyone thought the sky was gonna fall" :|

Is anyone else irritated by all the yuppie vultures who've swooped down to cash in on legal weed? It seems like that's all who's profiled in news specials about marijuana in Colorado, the "respectable" face of legal marijuana.

I wish I'd see more people who were formerly in the trenches, facing police repression and government crack downs because they believed in the product they were selling. Occassionally you'd see such people in specials about California weed (my favorite being some old Vietnam vet/weed farmer who stood out in his fields flying a double middle finger at some cops circling above him in a helicopter lol) but not so much in specials about weed in Colorado.

Yea I dislike it when they show these dudes that are obviously in it for the money and like you said were never in the trenches having to worry about getting pulled over for a j or something. And we all know cops (most) say schedule I is schedule I so it may as well be dope...if it takes off here in MD I'm sure the yuppies will jump right in...just like with the dozens of vape stores around here.

And who cares? This are the people laying the groundwork for other states. Watch Pot Barons of Colorado. We NEED investors folks. Quit the 60's hippie shit. You want legal weed? Well professionals must be involved so there is quality control. Do you know all the shit and money they spend to run their stores, etc so well? Medicine Man is amazing. Those people have passion but also realized this isn't the 60's and money pays the bills. I honestly don't get the beef. A lot of stoners would be wise to network with these people. They need us and we need them.

Honestly this is no different than commercial grow-ups not for rec/med. This a billion dollar industry. We need professionals folks. I respect the ones I've seen.

Also what's wrong with being in it for the money if the overall outcome is CO laying the ground work for other states to follow their lead.

Seriously think some of you believe in banned drugs.

Have they fixed the cash issue up yet? Are the big places allowed to use banks?

Is anyone else irritated by all the yuppie vultures who've swooped down to cash in on legal weed? It seems like that's all who's profiled in news specials about marijuana in Colorado, the "respectable" face of legal marijuana.

I wish I'd see more people who were formerly in the trenches, facing police repression and government crack downs because they believed in the product they were selling. Occassionally you'd see such people in specials about California weed (my favorite being some old Vietnam vet/weed farmer who stood out in his fields flying a double middle finger at some cops circling above him in a helicopter lol) but not so much in specials about weed in Colorado.
God help us if it was left up to the hippies to gain momentum. The only way this will work is if the industry is run professionally and with a sound business basis. Like it or not, economics is the driving force behind legalisation, not only taxation which pays for valuable community programs but also savings in law enforcement and incarceration.

So what if investors are jumping on the bandwagon to make a profit? I'll tell you now I'll be doing the same thing as soon as my state legalises weed. There is nothing stopping the stoners getting involved and making coin other than being couch locked by smoke enduced apathy. I guarantee that these same investors probably smoked weed growing up too, it's just they didn't let the fumes cloud their motivation or drive. A natural product with high yield and an almost unlimited potential market is just the thing we should be promoting. Fuck the old time hippies who shook a few banners and yelled fuck the police, I owe them nothing.

Yeah possibly. Who knows I guess. Sometimes I think Aus might do it in 10-20 years, other times I wonder if any places here will do it in my lifetime. Not too sure how things will go in NZ, I went there once but only for a stop over so my knowledge of the place is very limited. Seemed pretty cool tho and we met a bunch of stoners in the day and night we were there.

I haven't been there in a long time, but when I went to Nimbin a couple of times ages ago, people were coming up to you as soon as you got there and offering you weed (and other drugs), I was wondering if there is any other places in Aus that have been an open air drug dealing place like that for so long? Mostly for weed, I can't think of any places like that in Syd for example, which are always a goto places for anyone to buy weed...

Yep its still there and effects have been irrefutably positive so far <3

Very fair exploration IMO.

NSFW:
bright-blue-sky.jpg

NZers, although being generally conservative, do pride themselves on being socially progressive. They were the first to give women the vote, one of the first to legalise gay marriage and have made steps in the past couple of years to regulate the legal highs market. I'd imagine 5 years not being too unrealistic an expectation for loosening of cannabis laws, particularly if Colorado and other US states show positive results such as increased tax income and lowe social issues.

Australia will be 20 years, after trialling medical weed for 15 years. Politically Australians have a habit of chopping and changing governments, with many legal changes reverse as soon as the opposition is in power. The Upper House holds the country back yet people still see it as a safety valve rather than a hand brake.