Social The Live Show Review Thread

Daft Punk: Freaking awesome, amazing, mind-blowingly cool!

Infusion: AWESOME! I really wish those guys came to the states more often. I saw them on a tuesday or something wierd like that. The club was practically empty, but i was dancing like freaking crazy.

I think that was when "Natural" had just come out.

They have some new stuff out now:
http://www.myspace.com/infusion

Dude... actually, now that I think about it, that Infusion show was sooo much fun for a tuesday. I really wish they were touring the US so I could see them again.

I should say i have their "girls can be cruel" on vinyl and also their remix of kate bush's running up that hill, which is one of my faves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYIK5RutvdM
Epic prog house

Last edited:
Name of group/artist: Disco Biscuits
Rating (1-10): first show, 5, second night, 7-8 (i have seen them alot, shows are always fun, but musically range from 5-10 imho)
Review: last time i saw them was november 27th/28th at the E-Factory in philly. First night as i said was very average, if not a bad show by their standards, but the second night was fire all the way through. Their lighting rig is generally awsome, and only gets better the bigger the venue or show.

ps. saw bassnectar at camp bisco twice and once when he played after biscuits new years @ he tweeter. First time i saw him I though he was laying down some real solid stuff, but the two times i saw him after that i was less than impressed; definitely hit or miss.

Valentino Kanzyani 10/10 jan2010 (2,5hours)
oldies set - he was one of the best techno DJs, too bad he's gone soft...

Umek 10/10 jan2010 (2,5hours)
oldies set - lots of 1992-1998 tracks from acid house, techno, a little bit of hard techno,... maybe he should have played more of his own tracks, overall: magical!

some of the tracks played that night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDhqlKvURdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyppv3wNDo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMsMj9-nEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHt36aIvh8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkMZRtCuu0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfzjkIvH4g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoRzF3QlAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vdbuXvTvQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdFkCaoh2s

Coming up next: Planetary Assault Systems in 2 weeks :)

Last edited:
Dj Funk - 7/10
Milwaukee - The Rave November 7 2009

The tracklisting was great, I heard 80% of the old skool songs I wanted to hear and a few new goodies I hadn't been exposed to. The crowd was on point dancing harder than when Mstrkrft came in and headlined. I noticed 1 small trainwreck but he was the only one using vinyl (4 decks) and he hasnt had a gig in quite a while, plus he was added last second as a surprise dj. He definitely stole the show. only bootyhouse dj I would ever pay to see. Brought back lots of 01' , 02' , and 03' memories. :D

Holycrap i'm way behind in this thread :|
Ill get to this as soon as possible. Thank you all for your reviews though!

Expect a ton of reviews when I get back from WMC and Ultra!​

and in the meantime here's a throwback review that I thought of when replying to the "How Did You Get Into Electronic Music thread" ....

Richard Humpty Vission - 10/10
Kenosha, Wisconsin
The show was at a venue that held approximately 400 people and it was at max capacity. This show was in the winter of 2001 and about 6 months after Shut The Fuck Up & Dance was released. He threw down an epic set and dropped the house that jack built, shut the fuck up and dance, and all the tracks with the MLK speech samples. What impressed me most is how many tracks he played in 90 minutes.I swear I heard over 120 songs.... It was like he mixed in a new song ever 45 seconds.. and I think that really shows talent to cue tracks that fast... and it kept me guessing what was coming next,... there was no slow build ups by any means.I saw him again in 2002 at a larger venue and the underground vibe from the last show and his first mix cd had already started to dissapear... He didn't have a bad set or anything.. and there was no trainwreck's... but it wasn't mind blowing like it was in 01. I was fairly intoxicated at the second show and don't remember enough specifics to give a good review.

Last edited:
Trentemoller (DJ set)

2/10

I saw Trentemoller last weekend at Sankeys in Manchester. I was looking forward to him, seeing as I've liked some of his past productions. However, his set was just crap to dance to. It consisted mainly of pop music (and I don't even mean poppy-house - I mean out-and-out pop music). And not even good pop music!!!! Everyone was crying out for a thumping house beat to come in, but it just never happened. His set never really went anywhere - the music just meandered along. Total crap imo.

Greg Vickers

8/10

Greg Vickers was on after Trentemoller. I used to see Vickers every time I went to Sankeys (he used to be their weekly resident), but I hadn't seen him for maybe 4 years. He always used to be excellent though - similar in style to Lee Burridge - dark, bass-heavy tech-house :) And I'm pleased to say he's still got it. Was soooooooo good to hear some proper tech-house after the garbage Trentemoller was playing. I recommend Vickers highly!!!

Ive added all the new reviews... Keep them coming guys! We have had some good submissions this month! With all the festivals and summer tours coming up.. I expect a slew of them in July and August... We would like to receive some BEFORE the rush. Thanks, you guys make this one of our most popular discussions in here!

Ive added all the new reviews... Keep them coming guys! We have had some good submissions this month! With all the festivals and summer tours coming up.. I expect a slew of them in July and August... We would like to receive some BEFORE the rush. Thanks, you guys make this one of our most popular discussions in here!
You've made a typo @ Planetary Assault Systems ;)

Come on people don't you party?
This weekend I'll add: Lori J Ward, Linda Pearl and Miss Djax to the list :)

Ferry Corsten - Nocturnal 09. 10/10

First time that I saw Twice in a blue moon, but not the first time I've seen Ferry. Probably one of the best sets that I've ever seen, but 2 years isn't much experience. The crowd was very into it and the outro will give me goose bumps until the day I die.

I loved it when he dropped this song, I was almost in front dead center.
Ferry Corsten- Twice in a Blue Moon Live @ Nocturnal 09

Loved this one too.
Ferry Corsten- Brain Box live @ Nocturnal 09

Nice classic trance For a second I thought it was the gouryella remix which would have made me cream my pants but it was still great Ferry Corsten: Binary Finary 1998 Vegas remix

Outro. Really can't imagine this entire set being any better.
Ferry Corsten: System F Out of the blue Outro Violin Edit Nocturnal 09

David Guetta- TAO 10 6/10

His set was decent but seemed like something that should have been played on the House stage inside. Also Seemed more like a top40 mash up until the last 30 mins or so to me. The crowd was probably what made it more than what it is though, he got everyone really into it, He'd drop the volume and you would hear 20k yelling the lyrics. Full blown screaming and excitement.

I hate this song, but it really got shit poppin
David Guetta- Sexy Bitch @ TAO

------

Another song that I didn't like @ all but it got the crowd into and when the crowd is this amped I get into it. Heard this song @ the house stage - the "I'm david Guetta bitch" part though

David Guetta: DJ Chuckie Let the Bass kick ( David Guetta remix)

And really, Who didn't see this coming.

David Guetta: Black Eye Peas- Tonight's Gonna be a Good night

Markus Schulz TAO: 10/10

EASILY made up for guetta, This was the best set of the night, better than the new years countdown, better than everything I saw the entire night by far. It was hard, but it was still euphoric trance. He got the crowd really into it, and when it ended, and the hype man was like " one more song" then he dropped Find Yourself & Do you dream was the perfect way to end the night.

Loved it when he played this
Markus Schulz : Wippenberg- Pong
--

This was the best feeling in the world when he dropped this. Just dancing close with my girl and enjoying the night as it ended. Reminded me of monster when armin did the same thing, but I liked this more. Probably because I knew the end was coming. lol

Markus Schulz : John O’Callaghan feat Sarah Howells – Find Yourself ( Cosmic Gate remix)
-------

Final song of the night, and it was beautiful.

Markus Schulz- Do you dream
--------------
ATB: Awakening 7/10

ATB was the reason I went to this show. To be honest I'm being very generous with the score, ONLY because of how strong he started off. His intro was SO good, and the crowd was VERY into it. After the first half hour it just fell flat, got boring and repetitive.

Intro, the best part of the set, got me so excited but he didn't deliver.

ATB: Let you go (Acapella) & Ecstacy (intro)
-----------

The outro was great too though, Can't lie Almost want to say it made up for the rest.

ATB- What About Us (outro)

-----------

Infected Mushroom: Awakening 9/10

This was the first time I've ever listen to psy. I didn't know what to expect and because it was live I didn't think i'd get into it because of the guitars and such. I was VERY surprised, it was good, the energy was always high and I Matisyahu making a surprise appearance was pretty cool too.

I loved this song

Infected Mushroom- Vicious Delicious

This was surprsing as hell but cool none the less. Best quality I can find.
Infected Mushroom Ft. Matisyahu - One Day Live

Last edited:
sasha
6.5/10

despite having been in the party scene for years, i somehow hadn't managed to see sasha live until may 2009. i've now had the pleasure of catching him three times: first in leeds with digweed, next over the summer at a festival near amsterdam, and most recently this past saturday at ruby skye in san francisco.

as a bit of background on the club, it's well known for being a beautiful venue but a total mecca for drunken cheesebags. it's unfortunate because although the place can book top quality headliners, most people in the city who are serious about electronic music tend to avoid it. i am one such person and so was everyone in our crew of 9 that night, so a few of the guys ended up springing for a private booth in the VIP area of the upper balcony. i had a direct line of sight to sasha and could check out every move he made on the mixer. it was the best possible setup one could hope for at a douche haven like ruby skye.

sasha's performance was solid but the tunes were a bit uninspired. when i saw him play in amsterdam i heard some of the best dance music to grace my eardrums in years. he was all over the map - prog, tech-house, techno, a few breaky bits, and even some sounds that i would consider progressive psy - but the set didn't sound disjointed at all. at ruby skye he brought a much more tame selection. i thought his heavily tech-house leaning set was pretty bland. a few times during a breakdown, things would start to build and i was sure he was about to bring it. sadly these always seemed to peak and then flop into some dull prog beat.

i listened to this very average journey through monotony for about 2.5 hours before we started making our way to the exits. just as sasha also seemed to be wrapping things up, he dropped two or three super dope, synthy, bouncy, dynamic, monster tracks. where had these gems been all night? why had he been plodding along to nowhere for the past two and half hours?

clearly he had the good shit tucked away the entire time. i did not appreciate having my patience tried for hours before he decided to drop it, but i was glad he at least redeemed himself at the end. i doubt much of the crowd even knew the difference. maybe that's why sasha didn't bother.

this definitely wasn't my favorite offering from the man, but his finish was strong and i'm certainly not opposed to giving him another shot at a better party in the future.

Empire of the Sun 8/10

This band was really amazing, they had crazy costumes and crazy dancers, and the set kept going up and up. Very chilled but powerful. If you have a chance to see them, do it.

Boys Noize 9/10

Saw this man again, he played more stuff of his album, but his mixing skills are suburb and the rain didn't dampen things. He seems to be finding a new sound, but his smile, and his energy makes him a must see.

I'll be adding Ferry Corsten's Once Upon a Night: The Experience, Lange, Aly and Fila, Chirstopher Lawerence, Sander Van Doorn, Wippenberg, and Paul Van dyk after the weekend.

Donald Glaude 9.5/10
Before I stepped into the Root Society Dome @ ultra I had heard of Donald Glaude and had an idea of what genre he spun but had no idea if he was any good. Well I was pleasantly surprised... I walked into the set about 5 minutes into it and the whole tent was packed, this was only 65 minutes after Ultra started and there was barely any room to move and the towers they built for people to dance on was covered with guys fist pumping and girls in thong bikinis shaking their asses like there life depended on it. The energy in the tent was amazing and the emotion Donald put into his set was shocking. He really felt the music and got the crowd into it as much as a DJ could do. He was dropping tracks about every 90 seconds, the way I like it, and nothing but electro bangers. Most of the tracks dropped were popular ones from the past two years but he also managed to throw in a few older songs from the mid 90's early 2000's. While there was little breakdowns considering the massive amount of songs played in just an hour, he gave the crowd short breaks to build up the atmosphere and vibe of the place. There was no train wrecks, no silence except for the two times he lowered the music to say "whats up miami" or "you guys are fucking crazy" which resulted in people splashing water on each other and glowsticks thrown into the air. I recognized most of the tracks but the ones I didn't know got me moving just as much, there was only a few minutes Iwas not dancing, and this was only from being exhausted and already dehydrated. He used little fx but when he did it fit perfect, there was lots of knob tiwddling and fucking with the EQ's and made things more interesting to say the least.

A-trak 9/10
A-trak played on the second day of ultra early during the day. It was still packed though due to Ultra selling out BOTH days. A-trak played nothing but electro bangers the whole time and took me on an audio journey of the best electro released in the last 5 years. No fx were used but they were not necessary in the least. The track selection was great and the order they were dropped was so excellent it almost seemed like the whole set was planned, but I highly doubt that. I remember hearing "blau", a teaser of "day n night", and "wassup wassup". The crowd ate it up and had people jumping up and down like maniacs! Two people climbed a rather tall tree and were shaking their asses up there with no fear of falling. :D A-trak fed off the crowd and when people jumped higher and harder, he went harder. It felt like he started out banging and by the end the speakers were ready to fucking blow. Excellent performance!!!

Boyz Noize vs Erol Alkan 7/10
I was really excited to see this set and they followed after A-Trak. I was still flying high off of A-Trak and Boyz Noize vs Erol Alkan came on stage with a lot of energy playing some great electro but that set that started out with tracks being dropped every 90 seconds began to slow down and atfer half an hour the crowd got a little restless and only about half of everyone was dancing. Although they dropped Jeffer at an epic moment during the set and got everyone back into it, I was slightly dissapointed after seeing A-Traks great set. Things slowed down to the point that I left the stage to see the end of Andy C. I feel that between two excellent DJ's they coulda brought more to the table and after 10 minutes of slowing there set down and the crowd slowly dispersing and people not dancing, I expected them to get the hint and get back into their groove but it never happened. No train wrecks or mistakes, but the tracklisting did not follow what the crowd was craving. Not a bad set, but I also had VERY high expectations for them.

Crookers 6.5/10
Crookers have been on the top off my to-do list for a while but they never seem to hit anywhere near me on the east coast... so when I had the oppurtunity to see them at Ultra I was hyped, to say the least. Now I have heard a lot of Crookers mixes and their festival sets vary a lot to what they play in a club. Unfortunately I prefer the club styl set they throw down but I wasn't going to skip them no matter what. They took the stage at 7 right when the sun started coming down and started with the well known "We Love Animals" They let the whole track play out which I was surprised by. Shit, imo if you have 2 guys working the decks... you should be droppnig tracks faster than just one guy. Im talking every minute or two at the most, especially with the electro they usually stick to. The 2nd song mixed in was slightly off, not crazy wrong... but just like a quarter beat off. But after the whole we love animals track played out, you expected a banger to hit hard... well that didnt happen, they sloppily mixed in a track I had never heard and it was really boring to be honest..... and again they let the whole track play out before dropping the next song. Well, thankfully they played a nasty dubstep tune that I had never heard but finally got the crowd moving, this was followed up by another dubstep track that was great and kept the crowd into it. After the taste of dubstep they dropped a lion king sample riden electro track that is somewhat new to me but is very popular, not exactly sure when it came out but I heard it 2 other times at ultra so it probably is relatively new. This got me as well as the whole crowd jumping and throwing water on eachother, the smell of green became apparent very quickly and clouds of smoke were everywhere (and it sure wasn't fog!) The next couple of songs were similar in style but didn't have the force behind them like the lion king track. I wasn't super impressed but the crowd was eating it up jumping the whole time. Shortly after this, day n night was mixed somewhat sloppily, and then there was a couple quick mixes using sirens and other FX, not even beatmatching. I was pretty hammered at this point so I don't remember all the other songs they played but it was a pretty short set. (Approximately 55 minutes) Although the crowd got into it after a short start and didn't stop dancing till the end... I felt they have so many of their own productions in their arsenal they didn't use.... like the salmon dance remix, or the let me back up don rimini remix. Maybe I was harsh on my review because I have heard such better sets of theirs online but they were definitely not the highlight of my night.

Bassnectar 8.5/10
I caught bassnectar in the root society dome during day 1 of ultra. Unfortunately Lorin came on when I was at the peak of intoxication, and the dehydration and lack of sleep didnt help either..... He started off with a great track and got the whole place going wild. Not one person stood still and glowsticks were flying everywhere. People began climbing anything they could! Bass head was the 2nd track dropped and although I have heard it plenty of times, I don't think many people there had heard if before. Regardless everyone ate it up and started dancing harder. The atmosphere did not change 1 bit till the end, he just kept coming harder and harder with the bass. I don't recall a lot of the tracks played but as more videos come out on youtube, I am reminded of exactly how epic it was and how much Lorin got into it, as well as how he fed on the crowds energy.

Diplo 9.5/10
Diplo came on mid day during the 2nd day of Ultra. He played after Steve Aoki and although I heard Steves set was good, I didn't stick around to watch it. I have heard too many poor sets of his online and read some very low reviews on BL.... so I set out to the dub and bass stage when he was playing. Thankfully I got back for diplo in time because from the very beginning to the end everyone was on there feet. I didn't stop moving and thought my heart would come out of my chest I was dancing so hard. Diplo mainly focused on the last couple years of electro's finest but also managed to mix in some gems like "One More Time" by Daft Punk. He slowly sampled one more one more one more one more on his laptop and then dropped it at the best point possible ONE MORE TIME. The mixing was flawless and needed no assistance with FX at all. The set seemed so perfect that it was as if he had been preparing for a year, but I know it was just raw talent. I liked Diplo before, but would never pass up a chance to see him again! GREAT SHOW!

Paparazzi 9/10
I will have to ID it, but Paparazzi started with the lion king electro banger I mentioned earlier... I heard this 3 times while at Ultra. He played the Root Society Dome and it was the first stage you saw as you entered Ultra.... I didnt see any headphones being used so I assume Ableton was being used.... There were no slow ups at all, just non stop electro nastiness. People literally were flocking from every which way to get in this dome and the DJ got into it like his career depended on it. The most memorable moment was when he dropped that familiar line "they know what is what but they dont know what is what, they just strut, what the fuck" He let that repeat several times before finally dropping the bass on everyone, and when it hit. The crowd went absolutely nuts. This guy did a GREAT job doing an opening set at Ultra and he got the crowd in a great mood. Smiles were everywhere and NO one looked bored at all.

Deadmau5 2/10
Deadmau5 got the closing set time for ultra and was given 1 hour on Saturday to end the festival. I have slowly lost respect for Deadmau5 over the year due to his arrogance, comments regarding DJs and the fact he claims to be a live act. Im sorry but using ableton and a lemur IMO is NOT a live set. Anyways I digress... Deadmau5 came out to a video I had seen many times before in other youtube videos and started with a brand new song created just days prior. Tommy Lee joined in on drums and off we went. The new song was a heavy hitting minimal track that was alright but nothing mind blowing. IMO Tommy Lee took away from it and didn't give the crowd a chance to appreciate the new tune. At some point near the end of this track, the bass got severely distorted. And from the beginning I felt the speakers were at least 25% elss loud than the previous acts on the main stage. I think that due to his ableton set up that was used, and the fact that the previous couple DJs used cdjs... they were not able to properly sound check or confirm things were on point for the show. I heard rumors that the bass became distorted because a stack of speakers got blown out but it was quiet from the beginning when the last DJ was heard from like a mile away...... All I know is that the video caught a quick second of Joels face and he did NOT look pleased with the sound. Deadmau5 waited till the last second to mix in his next track and many of the epic songs from the most recent album were not played. I know that I heard "FML" a remix of "Strobe" "The Reward is Cheese" 2 new dubstep songs that havent been released (they were good but you could not appreciate them because the bass was distorted!!!) Ghosts n Stuff ft Rob Swire was played after the dubstep, and then a remix of Rage Against The Machines "Killing In The Name Of" was played.... personally I enjoyed this track the best out of everything he played , but still could not enjoy it near as much because of the sound quality. A long drawn out minimal song was played after the rage remix which totally killed any mood I felt he had going and after the track played out the mario brother theme song came on indicating the show was over... I was VERY mad I stayed for his set and didnt go see DJ Dan and Donald Glaude tag team.... but I had never seen Deadmau5 and had to give the whole set a chance... not to mention.... the girl I met who I was having a great time with, was obsessed with the mau5 and I wanted to spend time with her. I will NEVER waste my time watching a whole Deadmau5 set again.... I might give him a few minutes of my time at a festival but if things aren't really amazing, I would get the hell outta dodge. This was pathetic for a DJ who just won 3 IDMA award in miami the day prior. And its funny he accepts an award for best American DJ when he HATES DJs and claims to be a LIVE act. I was shocked that he drew the biggest crowd of the weekend and they kept coming even with the sound distorted and lack luster tracklisting. I also was amazed that everyone was clapping and cheering like they had just heard a speech from the president. I walked away shaking my head in disgust.

Bloody Beetroots Live 10/10
This was the first time the Bloody Beetroots played a live show as a band in the U.S. I wasn't sure exactly how it would turn out, but the second Warp was dropped and Steve Aoki backflipped off the stage while a huge mosh pit erupted... I knew I was in the right place. The crowd was more wild during the Beetroots than ANY other show both days and the band setup was amazing. Not only was it an improvement over the DJ show, but I heard some tracks that I had never heard before.... that really got my blood pumping. They came on right as the sun had gone done following Crookers... I believe... and they BLEW them out of the water. The raw energy on stage was absolutely amazing. I can't remember all the tracks they played and some were new to me but only 1 song was sub par imo. EPIC set, an experience I wont ever forget.

Last edited: