View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous The Little and Obscure Carbogen Thread

perceptionist

Bluelighter
Within the pages of Aldous Huxley's "Heaven and Hell" he reports that a oxygen + carbon dioxide mixture can attain a visionary (psychedelic) experience. The concoction is described as 7 parts oxygen and 3 parts carbon dioxide.

Erowid has a substance titled "carbogen" that seems to correlate to Huxley's description (http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/carbogen/carbogen.shtml).

Any body have any other details on this extremely rare compound? It seems like a very enjoyable experience. I'd love to know how it reacts with the brain and the duration of the trip and other various information.

later,

perceptionist

What's this about oxygen and co2? C8H10N4O2

Don't really see myself getting fucked up for inhaling higher grade oxygen.

Yeah, Erowid says Carbogen is C8H10N4O2... but, unless I'm mistaken, that's caffeine. I'm pretty sure it's just any air with a large amount of CO2 (30%--which still leaves room for plenty of oxygen to remain safe).

Any ways, it's not really higher grade oxygen... it's just air with a more-than-average amount of CO2. And, if you read reports of its use... it has been compared to mescaline, as well as allowing therapy patients to re-live childhood memories. It definitely seems to have potential... and if it is proven some what weak, it may still prove beneficical in combination with other psychedelics.

Actually from my own reading, CO2 in conjunction with Oxygen (Ie. Carbogen) was used in psychotherapy to produce temporary episodes of severe anxiety in patients (these happened because the body would go into emergency thinking it was suffocating). I really am not sure why exactly they did that or how they did, but apparently this artificial state of anxiety had some therapeutic value in some people's opinions.

I would assume, then, that adding Carbogen to psychedelics will do nothing but guarantee you have a horrendous trip for no reason at all :).

In the March 1999 issue of the "Signs of the Times" Dr. Jack Provonsha wrote an article entitled Exploring the Edges of Death. He provides a description of carbogen therapy excerpted below.
"Interestingly, an overdose of carbon dioxide elicits effects similar to those produced by NDEs and psychedelic drugs. L.J. Meduna summed up the results of the administration of thirty-percent carbon dioxide on a large number of subjects with the statement 'We definitely can see that the form-constants in Mescal [mescaline] vision...are present in the sensory alterations produced by CO2'

"Subjects on carbon dioxide report separation of the self from the body. And as with the drugs and NDEs, there were reports of caves, tunnels, intensely bright light, visions of other persons, luminaries, reliving of the past, and 'spiritual' experiences. Following an initial vision of brilliant colors and designs, one subject reported. I felt myself being separated; my soul, drawing apart from the physical being, was drawn...seemingly to leave the earth and to go upward where it reached a greater Spirit with whom there was a communion, producing a remarkable new relaxation and deep security....I seemed to receive assurance that...whatever was bothering...me...would work out all right....I felt the Greater Spirit even smiling indulgently upon me in my vain little efforts to carry on by myself, and I pressed close [to] the warmth and tender strength and felt assurance of enough power to overcome whatever lay ahead for me.

I don't imagine this stuff to be healthy. The only way I can think of CO2 affecting the mind in that way is by dissolving in the blood and either upping the concentration in the brain or starving your mind of oxygen; thus inducing a state close to unconsciousness (like an NDE i guess, I read somewhere that those tunnels were due to O2 deprivation). Since this dissolving is your body's usual way of expelling waste CO2 via the lungs, and typically we exhale more CO2 than we inhale, I personally wouldn't consider doing this.

The way I've heard it is that all the panic and "near-death" effects are attributable to the abundance of CO2 in the body, which usually is a result of not breathing. It turns out that this is not a reaction specific to not breathing. One can have an adequate amount of oxygen to survive, and the excess CO2 is still able to trigger the same reaction. I do not believe that carbon dioxide is actually poisonous. I think it would be very interesting to explore this state of being for long periods of time, in an effort to safely tread the limits of an essentially naturally induced highly-altered consciousness.

arcarsenal said:
I do not believe that carbon dioxide is actually poisonous.
Try telling that to the people in Cameroon. And look here: http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rtkweb/0343.pdf

Maybe I'm being a little close minded here, but this carbogen shit sounds pretty stupid to me.

Anyways.. apparently this gas has some possible medical applications:
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/healthservices/cce/evidence/pdf/c/486.pdf
http://www.oxford-optronix.com/tissmon/tech/tumour1.pdf

The medical grade carbogen is 5% carbon dioxide/95% oxygen though, not 30/70.

I think the idea is a little bit too much CO2, and a little bit rythmic breathing. You know how some people get high with just a special breathing pattern?

Yeah. My 2 cents.

Nitrous oxide and Carbogen combo

I am going to be trying a combination Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide this week and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this combo.
I am also keen to try a ketamine, carbogen and nitrous oxide combo.
This re-living childhood trauma seems an interesting drug effect and so does out of body experience.

Um, not a good idea...

The way carbogen works is simple. Your body monitors carbon dioxide levels in the lungs. If they increase sharply, it interprets this as "OH SHIT I'M SUFFOCATING TO DEATH" and triggers a panic response, a sensation of being unable to breathe and lots of other nasty survival responses. The oxygen is there to, well, keep you from ACTUALLY suffocating to death. It's not at all like other drugs that trigger receptors in your brain. It's more analogous to waterboarding yourself than taking a drug; you are tricking your brain into thinking that you are dying to cause rather unpleasant symptoms. Its use in therapy is to induce panic attacks.

There's no sense combining carbon dioxide with nitrous. If for some reason you want to subject yourself to carbogen, breathe it on its own. Throwing nitrous into the equation sounds like even more of a recipe for disaster than trying carbogen in the first place.

You NEED proper equipment to even consider carbogen without killing yourself. You need to breathe a constant flow of it, and it would take far more willpower than I have not to rip any mask feeding it to you off when it kicks in and you feel like you're dying a horribly painful death by asphyxiation. Not my idea of fun but knock yourself out (literally, if you fuck up the oxygen levels, followed by coma and brain death).

I do not believe that carbon dioxide is actually poisonous.
Try telling that to the people in Cameroon.
In that case the case of death was not CO2 poisoning, but asphyxia - the CO2 from the volcanic lake, being denser than air, flowed down a valley and displaced air close to the ground. The people who died in their sleep did so because of lack of oxygen.

Last edited:
carbogen = typically 30 : 70 CO2 : oxygen

please do NOT inhale any mixture of gasses without it containing at least 20 % oxygen. you could die in a very stupid, pointless fashion.

edit: also make sure you have CO2, not CO, and N2O, not NO or NO2. this stuff can be done safely, but requires dem thinkings, suffocation <i>can</i> happen!

i've got a friend who used to claim he'd get a decent buzz via inhaling the air from the top of soda bottles immediately after opening them. i've never been able to successfully repeat his experiments. =P

How is this "rare"?

All you need is a fucking tank of oxygen and CO2 from your local welding store, and some gravity-bong-style kludges to measure the gas, and you're good to go!

If it was any good, it wouldn't be "rare".

It's also not a compound, not a very enjoyable experience, and doesn't directly 'react with the brain' at all - there are many inaccuracies in the OP, which is also from 2004 btw ;)

Why cant we reply to an thread from 2004? there are too many new threads about stuff that can be covered by using the fucking search engine. like there are too many threads about the same stuff like benzo threads

You can reply to a thread from 2004 - you just did in fact. Think it was just being pointed out that directly addressing the OP may not be too effective as he hasn't logged on since 2005 ;)