• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Large and Nifty Not-quite-advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
anhydrous ethanol

Hmm...

...opinions pls, facts even, if you have them. ;)

It's possible to make acetone anhydrous by adding magnesium sulphate ( ie cooking epsom salts to ash in the oven lol)...I know this from Le Junk's long and wonderful thread.

I wonder, given the difficulty in obtaining ethanol in the UK...

Who here thinks it would be possible to make 95% Alcohol (ie ethanol) by adding mag. sul. ash to a bottle of strong vodka, or a spirit like that, to let it draw out the water in the same way it does in acetone?

The highest proof bottle of spirits I can find in the shops is 80%. And while you can order ethanol from chemical companies online...once you include the cost of shipping it's about £50 for 100ml. 0_0.

Other option is to home distill a strong spirit...but just wondered if there was a potentially less explosive method!

Cheers
;)

Hi....do perform the full A/B extraction and get the charlie out of the nose garbage.

If it's possible to extract the water from a 80% bottle of liquor it will be better than home brewing up some. lol

;)

I want to say that you can actually make them (water and alcohol) separate with salts, but that was from some youtube chemistry bit I watched years ago, may not have been legit. May have been methanol, too, not ethanol.

The obvious and easy way to do it if you've got any access to glassware is distillation. The trick is gentle heat to avoid making a bleve out of your home with exploding alcohol vapors.

PS--BLEVE: boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.

Yes, you can dry ethanol solutions to 95% using MgSO4. It takes quite a lot of it, though.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it was possible.

Any idea on amount of MgSO4 required?

For example, if you had a 750ml bottle of non-flavoured 80% spirit, what amount of MgSO4 would you need to make it ethanol 95% and how long do you think it would take?

This seems to me a much safer option than home distilling on the stove, lol, and gets around the expense of purchasing it from an online chemical supplier.

Many thanks.

You'll have to do the math... One mole of MgSO4 can ideally absorb 6-7 moles of H2O if completely dry. Probably a good idea to overshoot by 25-50%.

It shouldn't take that long, within the span of 1-15 minutes with stirring I'd guess, depending on the granule size (smaller would be faster).

ty mate.

this sort of math has never been a strong point for me. I will do some googling to see if I can work out the calculation...failing that...I'll dump a sh*tload of well baked epsom salts into the bottle and see how I go. Then filter and bottle swiftly...with plenty of ventilation.

Precision. We demand nothing but precision. lol

All the best.

Well I was mocking myself with the precision comment. ;)

A good hydrometre will simplify things on the math front...."is it there yet?"..."is it there yet?".

Cheers

Grapefruit Juice and MAOI's

Would Grapefruit Juice interact with MAOI's like Phenelzine (Nardil) or Tranylcipromine (Parnate) in a good or bad way... Or not at all?

And how much Grapefruit juice do you need to enhance Xanax 700ml?.. The more the better I guess how much time should I post ingest the grapefruit juice before the Xanax

Regards

If they're substrates for CYP 3A4, then it might halt their clearance and raise plasma levels of the drugs.

What is Xanax 700ml? That's not a dosage, the usual dosage for alprazolam is in the milligrams.

I'd guess a cup or two an hour before would yield effects.

mmm...Would mirtazapine's antagonism at 5ht2c knock-out or reduce drastically mcPP's agonism at that site?

More generally, what sort of difference between binding affinities is necessary for one drug to block another's effects?

I'm not sure. My guess is it would diminish the effect of mCPP's agonism. Look at their affinity for the receptor to figure out which is a better competitor. If they both bind equivalently (which I doubt) then they would both compete with 5HT equally and you'd get an equal mix of activity theoretically.

Stimulants and blood sugar

Which way do Stimulants like Cocaine/Amphetamine affect your blood sugar?

Do they send it through the roof, or through the floor?

Both

Your body is going to release stored sugars and then eventually crash from not eating/higher levels of insulin.

We really need a stimulant mega thread, this is like the 6th or 7th thread about the negative effects of AMPs this week.

Does 4-Methyl-5-phenyl-2-oxazolidinone have any stimulant properties? It's a metabolite of 4-methylaminorex. And readily available.

mfcd00010845.gif

So first your blood sugar level soars from stored sugar being released , and then it drops from an insulin response?

Is the insulin response abnormal because of the stimulant? As in, a hyper insulin response, therefore sending your blood sugar through the floor, causing a potentially sever hypoglycemic state?

Last edited:
Im curious to know about this as well. The first time i ever took E i hadn't eaten the entire day, took it, then got really sick later...which i was told was due to my extremely low blood sugar from not eating all day. Now I always eat at least a little something right before i take any stims.

Status
Not open for further replies.