• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
This is your wilderness on drugs.

STARTING ABOUT 90 MILES northwest of Sacramento, an unbroken swath of national forestland follows the spine of California's rugged coastal mountains all the way to the Oregon border. Near the center of this vast wilderness, along the grassy banks of the Trinity River's south fork, lies the remote enclave of Hyampom (pop. 241), where, on a crisp November morning, I climb into a four-wheel-drive government pickup and bounce up a dirt logging road deep into the Six Rivers National Forest. I've come to visit what's known in cannabis country as a "trespass grow."

"This one probably has the most plants I've seen," says my driver, a young Forest Service cop who spends his summers lugging an AR-15 through the backcountry of the Emerald Triangle—the triad of Humboldt, Mendocino, and Trinity counties that is to pot what the Central Valley is to almonds and tomatoes. Fearing retaliation from growers, the officer asks that I not use his name. Back in August he was hiking through the bush, trying to locate the grow from an aerial photo, when he surprised a guy carrying an iPod, gardening tools, and a 9 mm pistol on his hip. He arrested the man and alerted his tactical team, which found about 5,500 plants growing nearby, with a potential street yield approaching $16 million.

oday, a work crew is hauling away the detritus by helicopter. Our little group, which includes a second federal officer and a Forest Service flack, hikes down an old skid trail lined with mossy oaks and madrones, passing the scat of a mountain lion, and a few minutes later, fresh black bear droppings. We follow what looks like a game trail to the lip of a wooded slope, a site known as Bear Camp. There, amid a scattering of garbage bags disemboweled by animals, we find the growers' tarps and eight dingy sleeping bags, the propane grill where they had cooked oatmeal for breakfast, and the backpack sprayers they used to douse the surrounding 50 acres with chemical fertilizers and pesticides. The air smells faintly of ammonia and weed. "This is unicorns and rainbows, isn't it?" says Mourad Gabriel, a former University of California-Davis wildlife ecologist who has joined us at the site, as he maniacally stuffs a garbage bag with empty booze bottles, Vienna Beef sausage tins, and Miracle-Gro refill packs.

cont at
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/marijuana-weed-pot-farming-environmental-impacts

That looks so easy to detect, why aren't the people deforesting acres worth of forest being caught, wouldn't a single flyover show the obvious signs of an illegal crop?

Edit: Responded to the article, 2nd video doesn't look too good.

That looks so easy to detect, why aren't the people deforesting acres worth of forest being caught, wouldn't a single flyover show the obvious signs of an illegal crop?

Yea, I wonder what the tie up is allowing such a thing to be happening? Who does the land belong to?

Last edited:
^The land is national forest so it belongs to the federal government but we are all allowed to use it for uses that are approved.. this is not an approved use.

Doesn't something like 10x that get cut down every day in the Amazon anyway?

It doesnt look like much in that vid at all tbh

The only reason that this is a reality of pot farming is because farmers are given no other option. They're going to grow anyways, let them do it somewhere where they're not carving out forests.

The only reason that this is a reality of pot farming is because farmers are given no other option. They're going to grow anyways, let them do it somewhere where they're not carving out forests.

Yes, this is it.
Allow them to grow this plant freely - using hydroponics, indoor grows, whatever - and watch the environmental destruction quickly disappear.

Probably more than 10x. The more we can stop the better. Especially in a fragile (due to water) area like this.

If you don't think that looks like a lot then you are not familiar with what satellite imagery looks like on the ground.

All I could think of during the video was the vast amounts of farmland in Cali. You do it to yourselves people.

As someone who lives in the area mentioned this article (and every other like it) is an extreme exaggeration and borderline propaganda. They are easy to detect, every grow in the "flyover" video is on private property. These helicopters harass residents by flying 20-50 ft over gardens, homes, rivers and roads. The guerrilla grows are not going to be as visible from the sky. Granted some are and those are the ones eradicated. There is no denying the use of dangerous and illegal pesticides and rodenticides, but in general those are illegal grows. There are very few grows on private land that have been raided and were in possession of these dangerous chemicals. On private land, which most grows in the triangle are conducted on, many are organic and use common nutrients and pesticides sold in garden stores. That is not to say there are no growers who cause destruction, there are certainly horrible people who care less about the environment. The truth is the area and it's residents are generally very caring to the environmental. There are definitely private properties that look like junkyards out in the mountains who happen to have large grow who really made a mess of the land. Sadly those types of "junkyard" properties are in every rural area. That is not the norm. Many people are good stewards of the land.
In reality you can level hundreds of acres LEGALLY with NO questions asked, so long as you get a permit. If you were to do it without a permit it all of a sudden become destructive. Don't get me wrong there are many people who have done a bad job at grading on top of steep mountains, which will cause landslides. But, that is not the norm that these articles and media sources make it out to be. People level thousands of acres of forest a few counties south for vineyards and then take our water sources (piped from our dams to central and southern california), and no one even bats an eye at them. It is a last ditch effort on part of the anti-legalization crowd to make the emerald triangle look like horrible, destroyers of the earth. When in fact many people in the area lead a sustainable lifestyle and are quite caring to the environment. A cannabis grow with a few hundred plants (even spaced out 5-8 ft) doesn't take up much land. It is around the same grading flat that would be done for a potential house site. Once again it only becomes "destructive" in their eyes if you don't get a permit.

Edit: Responded to the article, 2nd video doesn't look too good.

Yea, I wonder what the tie up is allowing such a thing to be happening? Who does the land belong to?
What do you mean tie up? They can't do much because every peak in the mountains has large amounts of grows. Some follow the law and some don't. Many are extremely difficult to get to and down long, dirt roads that are gated off. The land in general is private property. The guerilla grows are on federal and sometimes private land (forest service, blm, logging land). The guerilla grows conducted often by gangs (cartels both mexican and asian) are the real issue. They don't really grade though, those are on private property. You can't bring a backhoe and dozer into the forest on public land, that would be an automatic arrest. In general pretty much all the dead animals (fishers, eagles etc) and extreme diversion of water is from illegal guerilla grows. I am not saying every grow on private land is environmentally friendly, but it is not what these articles make it out to be. In fact as stated above I support enforcement of destructive grows both on private and public lands. If you divert water from creeks and rivers (spawning areas for salmon) then I think you should answer for the crime. Same goes for using illegal pesticides and harmful chemical.

^The land is national forest so it belongs to the federal government but we are all allowed to use it for uses that are approved.. this is not an approved use.
Yes and no. That video is all private land. Most grows are on private owned land deep in a rugged part of the country where mining and logging were the only types of work. With those industries virtually gone this is what the counties pretty much rely on.

Yes, even in wine and farm country more land is graded. We are talking about an acre or so. If you wanted to do this legally with a permit then no one would be complaining. It's the anti-marijuana advocates that are reaching for any final straws to grab.

Probably more than 10x. The more we can stop the better. Especially in a fragile (due to water) area like this.

If you don't think that looks like a lot then you are not familiar with what satellite imagery looks like on the ground.

All I could think of during the video was the vast amounts of farmland in Cali. You do it to yourselves people.

No this isn't a lot of grading when you take into account wine country a few hours south and no one bats an eye.

Yes, even in wine and farm country more land is graded. We are talking about an acre or so. If you wanted to do this legally with a permit then no one would be complaining. It's the anti-marijuana advocates that are reaching for any final straws to grab.

I've noticed it too.

It really is pathetic when you read about what it is they're doing now.

The bit about suing the POTUS really made me facepalm in bemusement.

I also like how they come in like gang busters and then wonder why their is a bit of a mess. like how they treat a little grow chemicals like the end of the world. This guy seems like a fanatic. Wonder what damage his helicopters does to wildlife.. probably scares the shit out of them. love how dramatic he is with the pink tape.. oh no a knife in a tree.. seen that are campsites all over the nation. There is something to be said for the divergence of water.. but if cali ever gets out of the drought this will not be that big a deal.

Like how he bitches about this being his job.. if he was so passionate about it why bitch.. seems like kinda a drama king... as in any ecosystem a change like this usually comes with positive aspects as well so i would like to hear about that.. Don't know about poisoning his dog though.

Yes, this is it.
Allow them to grow this plant freely - using hydroponics, indoor grows, whatever - and watch the environmental destruction quickly disappear.
Growing indoor is not efficient when you can use sunlight outside.

No this isn't a lot of grading when you take into account wine country a few hours south and no one bats an eye.

I agree 100%. I was referring to the clear cutting in the Amazon being probably more than 10x these operations every day because plman was asking why it is a big deal if something of larger scale is occurring elsewhere.

Thanks for the information, it seems like you have a pretty good point of view on what is going on out there. I am glad to hear that much of the video is propaganda, but the damage done to that environment is pretty obvious. I suppose the philosophy of privately owning the land and being able to do with it as one pleases within the law is not a terrible one.

Modern day farming is also horribly destructive, but at least it concentrates the damage so that large tracts of pristine land can exist. Check out some satellite images of southwestern German forests, cities, industry, and farmland (try east, south, west of Frankfurt). Each is concentrated in its area so that it can perform its function. This strategy also gives rise to huge tracts of nature.

Growing indoor is not efficient when you can use sunlight outside.

LOL
grin.gif

Some people like to fertilize the whole area around the grow to make all the vegetation around the pot a brighter green that more closely matches the pot plants, but not everyone does that...

This guy sounds greedy as fuck and not too bright...Harvesting that many plants and hauling it all out would be very, very tricky!

A lot of people go to that area to grow who aren't at all familiar with the area, and it sounds like this guy was really chancing it with that location...

I am pretty sure there are some broke farmers on actual farmland who would love to grow this crop.

^Can't compete with corporate mega farms, incompetence; use your imagination. He wasn't even referring to specific individuals, why would you ask?

Yes, this is it.

Hydroponics use lots of fossil fuel. What would really be good for the environment is if we planted fields of pot like we do with tobacco. We could have cheap, potent, and sustainable bud. I mean you would have to build a fence around the farm and have some security. A few acres of pot could probably supply whole states. Not to mention how beautiful it would look to see hundreds of weed plants in neat little rows on the side of a dirt road.