• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Kava and Kratom Crisis

Bluelight Crew
http://pineapplenewspaper.com/the-kava-and-kratom-crisis/13030

by Dr. Raul Rodriguez

The word “natural” can be very misleading when used in marketing campaigns for consumable products. People often assume that natural products are safe and healthy. This actually is true much of the time, but not always. There are 2 “natural”, plant-derived products that have been rapidly growing in popularity, but are far from safe and are certainly not healthy.

Kava-Kava and Kratom leaf are widely promoted online and locally in Kava bars as having relaxing properties and many health benefits. Most individuals who start to consume these products do not know of the risks, more often just aware of a long and culturally rich history.

[...]

Kratom is another popular Kava bar item and has even greater physical dependence implications. Kratom is a leaf collected from a tree in the coffee family that has significant psychoactive properties. There are many purported medicinal uses for this substance, including serving as a natural alternative to treat depression, anxiety, addiction, diabetes, chronic pain and fatigue.

Many individuals experience an increase in energy, elevations of mood, relief of pain and a general sense of wellbeing when on Kratom. The effects wear off and then the natural inclination is to take more. The benefits can be reproduced but soon physical dependence develops. The nature and severity of the physical dependence caused by regular Kratom use resembles that seen with opioids such as oxycodone and heroin.

Affected individuals experience flu like symptoms, sweating, goose flesh, hot and cold flashes, body aches, leg cramps, weakness, fatigue, depression, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms usually last a week or longer in a dependent individual. Most people cannot stand it longer than a day or two and go back on the Kratom.

It is at this point that individuals feel trapped and do not know how to get off. A full inpatient or outpatient opioid detoxification is required at that point. I have detoxed numerous such individuals that have been caught in this chemical trap. This effect is especially prominent in anyone who has a history of opioid addiction.

Individuals with a history of addiction, even with an otherwise strong recovery, are especially vulnerable to the chemical effects of Kava and Kratom. They usually develop physical dependence very quickly, or are triggered to relapse onto their drug of choice. Some Kratom products that are made with grain alcohol will also cause full alcohol dependence as well as the opioid dependence.

These substances are an ever-present threat on the internet. Local recovery communities, including the one in Delray Beach, are devastated by all of the relapses caused by Kava bars selling to unsuspecting and vulnerable individuals. The problem has grown to such a degree that specialty drug testing laboratories have become active in developing tests to detect both Kratom and Kava.

Drug testing helps create accountability for vulnerable populations and facilitates early detection of a relapse. A number of municipalities, exemplified by Pinellas County in Florida, have been actively working to ban both Kava and Kratom leaf. Greater awareness and vigilance with regards to the high risks of consuming these substances, especially for individuals in recovery, will continue to be the primary means of trying to contain this public health crisis until a legal solution can be found.

Raul J Rodriguez, MD is the founder and Medical Director of the Delray Center For Healing, as well as the leader of the Delray Center DBT program.

full http://pineapplenewspaper.com/the-kava-and-kratom-crisis/13030

Last edited:
A number of municipalities, exemplified by Pinellas County in Florida, have been actively working to ban both Kava and Kratom leaf.

because that will totally solve the problem

Well, we know its coming. The future for kratom (and kava) users appears to be bleak. God forbid people take something that might make them "feel good" or to help them get off opiates/opioids that is not endorsed by and making mega bucks for the government and big pharma.

This actually is true much of the time, but not always. There are 2 “natural”, plant-derived products that have been rapidly growing in popularity, but are far from safe and are certainly not healthy.

Two of the safest drugs out there, compared to alcohol or tobacco they're relatively harmless.

For the people bitching to the reporters about there "kava addiction" be damn glad you've never taken a Xanax.

The effects wear off and then the natural inclination is to take more.
So, people become addicted without having any control in the matter.
That does sound like a crisis!
Call out the cops!!
(great example of slant in the article)

oh well i guess if kratom is gone then plenty of these horrible kratom addicts will just have to go on methadone or sub, giving pharm companies more money. Good work Dr. What a terribly written article too.

I have detoxed numerous such individuals that have been caught in this chemical trap.

couldn't have worded that a bit better?

The nature and severity of the physical dependence caused by regular Kratom use resembles that seen with opioids such as oxycodone and heroin.

really. Dr probably just wants more people in his useless rehab program so he can pocket more money.

Greater awareness and vigilance with regards to the high risks of consuming these substances, especially for individuals in recovery, will continue to be the primary means of trying to contain this public health crisis until a legal solution can be found.

yeah let's just throw them on methadone or benzos and be done with them. what kind of legal solution is going to be found?

what an asshole.

My state is banning it within the month :/ This is why we can't have nice things. Kratom is such a wonderful thing but stupid gas stations around here started selling it in concentrated shots behind the counter and as a result, the cops found out about it.

I never enjoyed kratom much.
It just made me feel sleepy and dull.
Maybe I never took enough to get energy?

lol the severity of kratom withdrawal resembles that seen with heroin and oxycodone.

^Seriously.

Campaigning against kratom and kava though....this worries me America, this worries me.

Nothing is gonna change until key political figures get mrkd.

Just kidding obviously.

Last edited:
My state is banning it within the month :/ This is why we can't have nice things. Kratom is such a wonderful thing but stupid gas stations around here started selling it in concentrated shots behind the counter and as a result, the cops found out about it.

Seriously!

And "we" didn't even do it. Capitalists did it.

And this pattern will repeat itself with every recreational chemical not yet prohibited.

capitalists also brought kratom over here to sell in the first place lol

If it does get banned though, i doubt you'd ever see it on the black market, for all those people who use kratom as a maintenance drug, they'll be affected quite negatively or just have to quit i guess. Well at least they can't ban poppy seeds, fuckers.

I never enjoyed kratom much.
It just made me feel sleepy and dull.
Maybe I never took enough to get energy?

The stimulating effects are more pronounced relative to the opioid effects at small doses, not large ones.

This is my understanding, at the very least.

Some varieties are more stimulating than others, as well.

oh well i guess if kratom is gone then plenty of these horrible kratom addicts will just have to go on methadone or sub, giving pharm companies more money. Good work dr. What a terribly written article too.

Couldn't have worded that a bit better?

Really. Dr probably just wants more people in his useless rehab program so he can pocket more money.

Yeah let's just throw them on methadone or benzos and be done with them. What kind of legal solution is going to be found?

What an asshole.

agreed!

Well Indonesia apparantly has banned kratom exports so there's no supply left most places. Ouch I should have planned ahead a little more until waiting until I'm almost out to order, this could hurt!

^i'm sure there are more than enough vendors that have stock. Still have thailand and other areas, kratom is illegal there but you don't see that stopping exportation. This is more of a concern for the US that enjoys banning as many things as they can find.