The Industrial Thread

Industrial can be either really great or really shite. At the moment I would go more for the hardcore/industrial dance music tip e.g. things to come records, the horrorist e.t.c.

Also being an ex Manson freak, I've got to reccomend "Portrait of an American Family', although it isn't strictly industrial.

edit: Haha, just read the thread and found matey's comment about Marilyn Manson. I can see why people don't like the music, espescially if you're an industrial purist, but IMO everything up to 'Holywood...' (but not including!) was good.

However, if I want dark music there's so much better than industrial IMO, unless you need that miserable 'I want to kill the world' edge to it. Listen to some hardcore techno, breakcore, gabba or dance music orientated industrial. Much better.

>>Also being an ex Manson freak, I've got to reccomend "Portrait of an American Family', although it isn't strictly industrial.>>

Or rather isn't remotely industrial. :) It may be great in it's own right (I disagree), but yeah... :)

ebola

ebola? said:
>>Also being an ex Manson freak, I've got to reccomend "Portrait of an American Family', although it isn't strictly industrial.>>

Or rather isn't remotely industrial. :) It may be great in it's own right (I disagree), but yeah... :)

ebola

The use of grinding drum machine patterns and atmospheric synths is clearly borrowed from the world of industrial.

Eh.
Seems like rock music with a keyboardist to me. (channeling THE WOOD :))

Industrial music means many things to many people. To some, Skinny Puppy is a cheesy dance band while Throbbing Gristle is the real deal. To others, VNV nation is characteristic of the genre.

>>However, if I want dark music there's so much better than industrial IMO, unless you need that miserable 'I want to kill the world' edge to it.>>

I do, I do. :) On the other hand, Venetian Snares is getting more rotation in my player these days.

ebola

Velvet Acid Christ changed my life. I remember sitting at school all those cold mornings listening to Bryan's genius work on my headphones...staring at the ground... hahaha, I'm lucky I made it out of school alive.

I enjoyed Wumpscut in a similar fashion, but Wumpscut has gone down the toilet.

All the others mentioned too, Front 242, Ein..., FLA, Suicide Commando, Throbbing Gristle, Di6, Ministry, KMFDM, Nitzer, SPK, Clock DVA, Factrix, Coil, Boyd Rice and his creations...etc. etc., God we could go all day, all this talk makes me want to go bang some sheet-metal.

VNV Nation, I just never could get into though.

Needless to say, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Current 93, Nurse With Wound, KMFDM, Einstürzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, Ministry and Nine Inch Nails are all essential

Also D.A.F., but I consider them more electroclash than industrial.

I'm more of a Noise orentater person myself when it comes to Industrial. Merzbow, Zipperfly, Whitehouse... All great stuff.

But then again... I tend to enjoy Gabba and Breakcore a Mite more when it comes to the whole darker side of Eletronic music bit. It's all good fun, every single bit of it. =D

I think I like industrial, but I really can't be sure... lol

I love cranking dark music from hell, I like that imminent sense of foreboding I get when I put on Amon Tobin or Throbbing Gristle, and I like some metal stuff, but not all that much... probably more into sounds like Isis where the darkness is more apparent and they aren't squealing like emo school girls.

Everytime someone gets me to listen to some "industrial" it always sounds really wanky - I heard some Skinny Puppy and it just seems to be 80's new-wave with a bit of grunt. Even NIN I'm not feeling that much anymore... it's just not that awesome compared to what I'm hearing elsewhere.

Need more GRRRRRRRRRR and less MMM YAH, imho.

VNV Nation has become an obsession for me as of late... I love how it completely trancends the Industrial/Darkwave/Techno boundary.

But yea. VAC, Frontline Assembly, Wumpscut....

Check out

Albums:
KMFDM - Nihil, Angst
Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste, Self-titled
Frontline Assembly - Millenium, Hard Wired. Rhys Fulber is awesome.
Front 242 - 06:21:03:11 Up Evil
Skinny Puppy - Rabies, The Process
C-tec - Darker

Songs:
Unit 187 - Dead Dogs, Crackhead, Stillborn
Malhavoc - Control
Velvet Acid Christ - Fun with Drugs
Covenant - Like Tears In Rain, Luminal

Man... It's been a damned long time since I've listened to any of this stuff. I can't even quantify how much I've forgotten.

<runs to get his OLD cd case>

>>Skinny Puppy - Rabies, The Process>>

No, no, no. VIVIsectVI, Too Dark Park, and Last Rights.

ebola

rivetheads unite!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh man i LOVE this shit. but industrial isnt the right term for the bands & djs mentioned here imo. i mean, most of them became, hellectro, EBM or darkwave. in fact industrial evolved from EBM (check out "this is electronic body music" compilation, released in 80s for the original sound). i like EBM and darkwave most. here are the artist/bands i worship:)
negative format, colony 5, plastic noise experience, assemblage 23, dust of basement, imperative reaction, vnv nation, covenant, god module, icon of coil, velvet acid christ etc

here are some useful links:

www.industrialmusic.com
http://www.sonic-boom.com/industrial/ - i know some of you say "hey wtf is a rivethead?" click here and learn more:):)
http://www.side-line.com/

www.industriallyrics.com/
www.industrial-lyrics.com/

www.alfa-matrix.com/
www.metropolis-records.com/ - best ebm/darkwave label ever!
www.sector9.com

^ Wow. You really reached into the land of obscurity with those titles. I had forgotten about half of those guys. Good job.

And no one has mentioned Electric Hellfire Club yet. Dig 'em.

thank you:):)

here more bands dudes
angels & agony, punto omgea, preemptive strike 0.1, droon, wumpscut, amduscia, funker vogt, agonised by love, mono chrome, ayria, nebula-h, diskonnekted, observe and control, aiboforcen