View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The icy grip of creeping death: Deadly drug labs plaguing Sydney

poledriver

Bluelighter
The icy grip of creeping death: Deadly drug labs plaguing Sydney

180448-158313b4-30f2-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

SYDNEY is in the grip of a new ice age, and it’s potentially even more catastrophic than the last one.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the number of drug labs uncovered in NSW has doubled in five years, and police are calling for radical action to confront the growing plague.

Already this year 64 clandestine ice labs have been busted and dismantled.

181876-20e204f4-30f2-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said Australia needs to consider having a national summit to combat the spread of methylamphetamine, or ice, which he calls “the creeping death”.

Police say the labs have moved from backyard “shake-and-bake” labs to huge commercial-scale operations capable of producing hundreds of kilos of the highly addictive and life-destroying drug.

“It has infiltrated the heartland,’’ Mr Scipione said.

“It’s what’s destroying families in Macquarie Fields and Mount Druitt, Manly and Seaforth. It doesn’t discriminate.’’

170361-drug-labs.jpg

Mr Scipione said Australia was facing an epidemic of ice addicts similar to that in the US. “To suggest we don’t have the problems that anywhere else has is just naive,’’ he said.

“For those caught in it, it is creeping death.

“It destroys communities, it destroys nations. Look at the 100 labs in the past 12 months. They

come from the north to south, the east to west. They keep coming.’’

In an exclusive interview, Mr Scipione revealed he had first-hand knowledge of the tragic effects of ice on families.

He also said the best way to combat its spread was to work with federal agencies and other states to stop the drug coming into the country.

NSW Police is combating the “scourge” of ice by bolstering the Organised Crime Squad in March and conducting workshops with police across the state to hear their frontline experiences dealing with ice addicts.

182526-69bf40f4-30a4-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

194712-6fa1ae44-30a4-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

194249-5b7ddde8-30b8-11e4-a639-0fb2d2d716a3.jpg

194738-46c79b8e-30f2-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

And when asked if he believed Australia needed a national summit or taskforce, he said: “Well, that may be something that’s worth consideration. This is the discussion we need to have. Wad it around alcohol.”

“With its relative accessibility, affordability and destructive side-effects, crystal meth is emerging as a pandemic akin to the issue of crack cocaine in the US,’’ he said.

“Australian illicit drug users pay a premium price for most illicit drugs compared to prices in key foreign markets.

“The ACC assess that Mexican drug cartels are targeting the ice market in Australia.’’

Cont -

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-plaguing-sydney/story-fni0cx12-1227043194409

NO ONE IS SAFE ZOMFGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
eek.gif

I fucking hate the Daily Tele. Those cunts are a far greater threat to Australia than "ice" ever will be :|

I like the lab in a shipping container, although I wouldn't wont to live anywhere near it personally.

Looks like some pretty industrial sized operations, that still in the 3rd pic must be at least 22 - 50L size, and the reactors in the first picture (big steel things) easily 200L...

^those big steel thing is actually colourbond sheeting; shedding.

^ no, the stuff in the middle of the 1st pic. What are you talking about? That's a shipping container on the left.

Just flood the Sydney/Australian market with cheap coke = ice pandemic over.

Coke<Ice and pandemic is an international term.

A; fuck the heartland
B; What exactly am I not safe from?

You're not safe from yourself.
The state is here to protect you, with billy clubs and compulsory holidays in a concrete box for your own wellbeing.

It's ok, don't get up - we'll let ourselves in.
To protect you.

Just flood the Sydney/Australian market with cheap coke = ice pandemic over.

I'd prefer we stuck with meth. Even if someone found a method and desire to flood the market with cocaine, it's far more deadly a drug than meth (just look at American ER visitation stats). Meth causes long term damage and ruins lives, but at least it doesn't usually cause acute strokes or heart attacks.

I read once that the powers that be tried to get crack cocaine to take off a few decades ago in Sydney, but for various reasons it never happened. I know it at least had a small presence in the 80's and early 90's, but never became an epidemic (for lack of a better word).

Vic meth -

Victorian-first sewer tests reveal alarming spread of deadly drug ice

614666-29dbee1a-3243-11e4-b9e7-d00f86afd90e.jpg

AN unprecedented analysis of waste water has revealed the extraordinary extent of the use of the drug ice in Victoria.

Testing at one Melbourne sewage treatment plant on just one day showed that one hit of methamphetamine had been consumed for every 20 people.

SCROLL DOWN FOR EX-ADDICT JACK NAGLE’S HORROR STORY

Further damning details about the destructive grip of ice on the state are expected to be revealed in a report of a state parliamentary inquiry today.

And the Herald Sun can reveal that:

VICTORIA Police will get $4.5 million extra so all state highway patrol officers can test drivers for drugs, including ice.

EXPERTS found the highest traces of methamphetamine in sewage in the area taking in Melbourne’s west and CBD.

THE Victorian Government will now roll out waste water drug testing statewide.

A SEPARATE Penington Institute assessment of the impact of methamphetamine, including testing of sewage taken from five Victorian sites and data from more than 40 interviews, found that use of the drug is driving an increase in incidents of domestic violence.

DRIVER DRUG TESTS SET TO DOUBLE

EDITORIAL: ICE USE NOW AN EPIDEMIC

CHARLIE BEZZINA: HOW WE CAN THE WAR ON ICE

GALLERY: THE FACES OF ICE ADDICTS

Testing at a Melbourne sewage plant shows one hit of methamphetamine has been consumed fo
The State Government will now roll out waste water drug testing across Victoria.
The Penington Institute report, Impacts of Methamphetamine in Victoria, contains harrowing accounts of the trail of destruction ice is reaping.

A woman married to an ice user reported: “My husband smashed up the house, tried to abduct children, threw knives at me, and threatened to kill me with a power saw.”

A social worker said: “One father desperately trying to hold his son back from this world and these people ... he nailed his windows shut, disables the car; so (the son) smashes windows and walks.”

Others talked of everyone from parents to tradesmen and sportspeople using ice.

“We’re hearing it from, say, footy club players … they say it’s everywhere in footy in the social circles,” a Grampians alcohol and drugs worker said.

“It’s the transition from being a behind-closed-doors drug to being out in the open and socially acceptable ... that happened over the last six months, I think ... You can buy it openly at the pub.”

The Penington Institute-commissioned sewage analysis in Victoria was done late last year by the University of South Australia. Similar analysis has been done in Europe and is done regularly in Adelaide.

Waste water from Melbourne Water’s western treatment plant, covering a population of 1.6 million people, had the highest levels: 51.4 doses of methamphetamine per 1000 people on a Sunday, and 38.8 doses per 1000 on a Wednesday last year. The Sunday figure equates to about one hit per 20 people.

Ice crime wave

The report stresses that heavy and binge drug users could have several doses per day. One dose is equivalent to 30mg.

The western treatment plant had an average of 72,000 doses per day over the two days.

The eastern treatment plant had an average of 36,000 doses a day, West Wodonga 530, and Warracknabeal 14.

Black Rock, which covers much of Geelong, had a daily average of 3800 doses.

All the samples were taken on a Sunday and a Wednesday.

Dumping of drugs in a toilet obviously can affect results.

Penington Institute acting chief executive officer Wendy Dodd said the western treatment plant’s results took in the CBD’s nightclub district and areas such as Carlton, Parkville and Docklands.

“Unsurprisingly, use was higher on the weekends than during the week in all areas.”

Ms Dodd said: “Our analysis indicates that while levels of use are higher in metropolitan areas, methamphetamine is certainly present in regional and rural areas.”

The average of methamphetamine doses per 1000 people at Black Rock, Warrack-nabeal and Wodonga were all lower than in Adelaide.

616068-29dbee1a-3243-11e4-b9e7-d00f86afd90e.jpg

Continued with a vid and user comments -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-deadly-drug-ice/story-fni0fiyv-1227045616094

Video of ice addicts shows scenes that look like something out of Breaking Bad

VIDEO released by the State Government to Channel 7 showed the disturbing impact the drug ice has had on users, rendering them incapable of controlling their actions.
Alarming CCTV footage showed addicts crashing down flights of stairs, tumbling off train station platforms and writhing in the care of paramedics.
The alarming video images came just hours after a parliamentary report highlighted the disturbing rise in ice use and the devastating impact its having on communities across the state.
BREAKING Bad, the popular TV show about a teacher who becomes a methamphetamine dealer, is being played out on Victoria’s streets, a parliamentary committee member says.
An almost “hero-type mentality” now surrounded ice, David Southwick said.

Continued - With a video of some gnarly stacks -

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...-of-breaking-bad/story-fnii5sms-1227046854653

I wouldn't have fingered methamphetamine as the drug most likely to make people fall off of things. Alcohol tends to be better at that...

Yeah same or heroin maybe if they were trying to walk whilst nodding out.

How's the title tho... I dont recall breaking bad looking like that with people falling down stairs and off railway platforms.

What's with this big wave of meth hysteria. Levels of use have been pretty stable for 5 or so years, I thought. Slow news week? A way to distract the public from the real issues?

And yeah, if anything, meth gave me greater physical control and coordination when I used it. Do they have any proof these people are (solely) on meth? (I didn't click the link, don't like giving hits to click bait trash news websites).