• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
bahahah
yes

tumblr_m26ehuss4R1qhpdduo1_500.jpg

I never read the book and came out giving it 3 stars. I was meh, not because I didn't like it, but I was more interested to see how the story pads out in the other films. It was definitely good enough to want to see the sequels.

I quite liked the movie (4/5) but also haven't read the books. My friends who have say the first is easily the best.. :\

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that this is an original plot. It's a Battle-Royale rip off for the high school generation.

okay, it is not at all.
i've read up on battle royale and it's a completely different storyline.
it's context not content mannn.
by that logic anything with anyone killing anyone for sport is a rip off of roman's gladiator fights and should be dismissed.

battle royale didn't follow anyone's specific story.
the hunger games is a completely different set-up with completely different purposes and the plot is entirely different.

Last edited:
I'll never watch this movie - it is way too mainstream. I'm not kidding, and you should all be ashamed.

I'll never watch this movie - it is way too mainstream. I'm not kidding, and you should all be ashamed.
That's a really sad viewpoint and means you have the potential to miss out on a lot of awesome experiences in your life.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's not quality. Throw off the shackles of chin-stroking and open your mind a little. You might discover something amazing. :)

Its not a bad flick. I read it as a synonym for celebrity, the sort of "we are creating you from nothing" and we own you, do as we say. Its surprising they had television in this alternate sci-fi reality future.

Also, and I don't know how this translated in the books, but....
NSFW:
it all seemed like some existenz twist where you find out no one actually dies, the dogs popping up out of nowhere, the NASA like computer stuff going on...like some virtual reality or someone is playing a video game/MMO

Also, not to be a dick or anything but reeks of a 1984 rehash for the 2012 generation, just nowhere near as good. Even the 1984 movie is better really.

And to add another footnote m'f'ing Running Man holds up rather well.

in the books everyone did die, every year.
and the dogs didn't pop up out of no where. this was a really big thing in the books that they didn't go into in the movies like at all...
the capitol has the ability to genetically mutate, enhance, and/or create animals. they made a "jabberjay" for instance which was a bird that could memorize and repeat full conversations. they had released it into districts to spy, and people began to catch on and plant BS for the birds to go back to the captiol with. the capitol decided these were failed mutations and just abandoned them. they figured they'd die in the wild but instead these birds mated with mockingbirds, creating the "mockingjay" which can repeat song...that is one example of a mutation the government is responsible for.
in the games they constantly created/mutated things to fuck with the contestants. in the 74th games, they mutated dogs with wolves, and ALSO with the other dead tributes. these "muttations" had the eyes of the dead tributes and their district around the collar, could walk on their hind legs, and seemed partially intelligent and were maid to track down and kill the remaining contestants. it is probable that the gamemakers had this planned the entire games, and were working on them every time a tribute died until the end.
that bothered me that they didn't include any info about the capitol's ability to genetically mutate shit. it's kind of important.
and i wouldn't necessarily say it's a rehash of 1984. there are a lot of similarities, yes...but it plays out rather differently in subsequent books... i'd say it's another dystopian novel. there's a lot of them out there. it's a whole genre. lolz.

on another note, anyone have any opinions on gary ross dropping out and francis lawrence stepping in as director?

cult of celebrity from the blue collar perspective vs. office malaise from the white collar worker

also "class" was a weird notion...people were rocking the androgenous 18th century/let them eat cake fashion.
Is it correct to assume there is no middle class?

i guess katniss' mom was once what we'd call 'middle class', the daughter of a successful merchant. but idk what happened after that. does she get disowned or something because she marries a coal miner?

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that this is an original plot. It's a Battle-Royale rip off for the high school generation.

I agree, but it doesn't make it shit. Batoru Rowaiaru is too much.

Certainly, though, the author watched that before writing this.

cult of celebrity from the blue collar perspective vs. office malaise from the white collar worker

also "class" was a weird notion...people were rocking the androgenous 18th century/let them eat cake fashion.
Is it correct to assume there is no middle class?

i guess katniss' mom was once what we'd call 'middle class', the daughter of a successful merchant. but idk what happened after that. does she get disowned or something because she marries a coal miner?
hm. i wouldn't say her mom was really middle class, no more than peeta was.
i'd say madge and the peacekeepers were the "middle class"? and the victors i suppose?
whose to say what it was like in other districts though. we only saw district 12 which was notably one of the most impoverisher.
i'd love to know more about other districts. like 4.
oh well. 1st person narrative restrictions.

I agree, but it doesn't make it shit. Batoru Rowaiaru is too much.

Certainly, though, the author watched that before writing this.

i don't think so.
she claimed she had no idea about it.
she's been saying for ages her inspiration was when she was flipping through the tv late night and was getting the news covering the iraq war back to back with reality tv shows..
honestly, i think it's just a coincidence. i've never heard of that weird jap movie and i'm sure a lot of people didn't until the comparison was being made. it's pretty obscure.

she claimed she had no idea about it.
Of course she'd say that.

i've never heard of that weird jap movie and i'm sure a lot of people didn't until the comparison was being made. it's pretty obscure.

I'll ignore your usage of the word 'jap' (not the most politically correct word) because you have DAT ASS, however I can't ignore the second part of that statement. The movie was released in 22 different countries and is one of the highest grossing films in Japan ever. Obviously it was a best-selling book before that and while it wasn't exactly a household name it's hardly obscure. It was popular enough to where there's a pretty good chance Suzanne Collins was aware of it, especially as an author and therefore a reader.

It doesn't matter really. Collins doesn't care; she's too busy counting her money. More power to her though. :)

There is no fucking doubt Collins knew about BR, it would literally be impossible for such a scenario to exist.
I could name plenty of well known movies, both foreign and English, with "cult followings" and without, that you would and would not know. BR is widely known, and as an author/director, you would be failing miserably at your job if you were unaware of BR.
I don't really care though, it's not like this is the first time this scenario has been made a mockery of and the chances are it won't be the last. Nothing can come close to BR, which is why I'll never watch the sequel again, and I certainly won't be watching any American re-makes.
I'm trying to think of the movie with all the wrestlers in it that is like this, I'm sure plenty of people learnt about BR because of that movie, as plenty of people are now, and this trend will continue.
Anyway, my point is even after 12 years since it's release, BR still shits all over everything else of this ilk.

Battle Royal is shallow and trashy. It's entertaining because its viewers are soulless gluttons.

Hunger Games at least attempts to rise above that.

Battle Royal is shallow and trashy. It's entertaining because its viewers are soulless gluttons.

Hunger Games at least attempts to rise above that.

exactly...people who make the comparison are just looking at the games themselves and ignoring 3/4's of what else goes on in collins' trilogy. it's not about that. it's about class warfare, rebellion, corruption, totalitarianism, love, family, values, truth, and coming of age in a time of complete chaos.
it's not really about the fighting in the arena. at all. that's just a function of what it's really about.
less than half of the first book is in the arena, and even less than that in subsequent books.
in the last book there's no arena and no games at all.

and battle royale is a rip off of gladiator games.
cry me a fucking river