• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The House I Live In (documentary)

Just finished watching it.

AMAZING documentary. Absolutely every American of voting age (at the least) should watch this.

Watched it twice already online. The most disturbing thing was the part about the guy doing life for 3 ounces of meth. There are currently 93 Oklahoma inmates doing life without parole for non-violent drug offenses :(

Fuck that state.

Can't recommend this movie enough. Like it or not, the subject applies to everyone on this forum.

Last edited:
Watched it twice already online. The most disturbing thing was the part about the guy doing life for 3 ounces of meth. There are currently 93 Oklahoma inmates doing life without parole for non-violent drug offenses

Was that the one singing 'free as a bird'? There was a young black kid on there who had been caught with a large amount of crack, the judge gave him 10 years, but because of minimum sentence laws he was over-ruled and got 20 years. Gotta feel for people who get fucked over like that, especially the non-violent ones. I think prison should only be used to lock up dangerous people, most of the people you see in for drug related charges are the least dangerous people there, surely getting their drug problems treated and rehabilitating them back into the community is more beneficial to society.

Yep. That was him. The black guy w/ dreads and his dad made me bawl like a baby too. You can see that these aren't bad people. In fact, some of them seem a fuckload nicer than a lot of the creeps running free.

I like how the filmmaker shows the real-world connection between these stories and doesn't get caught up in statistics. We have enough of those already. It's time the public sees the human side of the drug war.

Gah. Now I wanna go watch it again.

Like that quote from the Boston Globe - It's your CIVIC DUTY to see this movie. It makes me sick that one segment of society sees this as a profitable business; therefore only wants to lock up more and more people.

“The House I Live In” Documentary on drug war - Disinformation

Great documentary about the drug war, very educational.

http://disinfo.com/2013/07/the-five...to-americas-war-on-drugs-the-house-i-live-in/

The Five Stages of Destruction as it Relates to America’s War on Drugs: “The House I Live In”

By salviad on July 3, 2013 in News 

via chycho

At approximately 1:27:00 into the following amazing documentary, “The House I Live In”, reflecting on the work of Raul Hilberg , Richard Lawrence Miller provides a summary of the step-by-step process of destruction as it relates to America’s War on Drugs (relevant video segment follows the full documentary):

1. Identification – a group of people is identified as the cause of the problems in that society. People begin to perceive their fellow citizens as bad or evil. Their lives become worthless.

2. Ostracism – we learn how to hate these people, how to take their jobs away, how to make it harder for them to survive. People lose their place to live and are often forced into ghettos where they are physically isolated, separated from the rest of society.

3. Confiscation – people lose their rights, they lose civil liberties. The laws change so that it becomes easier for people to be searched and for their property to be confiscated, and once you start taking people’s property away, it makes it easier to start taking people away.

4. Concentration – the State begins to concentrate undesirables into facilities such as prisons and camps. People lose their rights. People can’t vote any more. They can’t have children any more. Often their labor is exploited in a systematic form.

5. Annihilation – this might be indirect, by withholding medical care, by withholding food, or by preventing further births. Or it may be direct, where death is inflicted, where people are deliberately killed.

Like that quote from the Boston Globe - It's your CIVIC DUTY to see this movie. It makes me sick that one segment of society sees this as a profitable business; therefore only wants to lock up more and more people.

Some friends and I brought "Breaking the Taboo" to a local college and in the fall, if we can raise the funds to cover the $750 in license fees, we hope to bring this one to a local theater, followed by a panel of experts discussing the war on drugs, like we did at our school. I received their contact info from an attorney contact I have that did the same thing. She had a judge, a few lawyers, a prosecutor, and the prison warden from the film all show up and discuss it.

If any of you guys want to show this film, PM me, and I can get you the contact information.