• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The House I Live In (documentary)

capetowndown

Greenlighter
If you live in one of the cities playing this movie, I highly suggest you see it. I just got back from seeing it an, though I knew most of the stuff it covers before seeing it, it is VERY well put together, informative, and complex. It actually inspired me to log back in here for the first time in years (despite silently lurking heavily during those years). Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8

Yeah, I'd like to see this sometime..

"The House I Live In": New Film Exposes Economic, Moral Failure of U.S. War on Drugs. 1 of 2

[video=youtube_share;I1UMvLYVDP4]http://youtu.be/I1UMvLYVDP4[/video]

I really wish they were screening this where I am! I have contacted some documentary screening groups so I'll see what happens. I would even pay to watch this online.

Last edited:
This may sound cliche, but I really think everyone (at least every American) should see this film. I would pay thousands of dollars of my own money to make all American federal politicians sit down in a room together and watch this.

S.J.B., I think you are on the right track. Its unfortunate that this film is only playing in a handful of cities. But, it is even more unfortunate that the only people who will see it in those cities are the people who already know this information that it has to provide. I am buying lots of DVD copies for the xmas season to give out as gifts :) But, back to you S.J.B., I think you are right to request this film to show in your local independent theater. I would encourage and advise everyone else to do the same.

dude how was the film? if it was anything like the trailer, this is what ive been waiting for.. im definitely buying the DVD. and then showing it to everyone I know

Could definitely serve as a wake up call for the average Joe sibling of yours or mine who has been brainwashed by the war on drugs. I know it's just a documentary, but, it may just make people really reconsider what to believe and not regarding the taboo topic of the film.

One of the biggest things right now is the mentality that non violent users should be treated as a felon, a threat to his/her community (instead of someone who could use some medical help - I know I didn't continue using because I thought it's cool, it's an escape for me, and yeah I may be weak to some, but everyone has their limits).

Looks really good. Very happy to see such a film win best documentary of the year.
Maybe it will open some minds.

does anyone know the hip hop song around 8:40 in the video poledriver posted? pretty nice sample

OT cant wait to show this documentary to my parents and watch them tell me everyone should get locked up if they have a drug problem >.>

Damn, can't find a torrent of this and I'm thousands of kilometres (something like miles) away from where it's being shown.

Damn, can't find a torrent of this and I'm thousands of kilometres (something like miles) away from where it's being shown.

I don't think it's out on DVD yet. I'd support buying this one, I hope I can order a copy sometime. As it wont be shown over here no doubt.

As usual, some of the comments regarding the video are ridiculous. Even after 40 years and $1,000,000,000,000 (trillion) wasted on this "war," it seems people still haven't learned to use their noodles to judge for themselves the fact that this war is in actuality a holocaust in slow motion and also just another way in which the rich become richer and the poor become poorer. This is capitalism at it's worst manifestation: a poison upon the proliferation of a free, truly democratic nation.

^^ Of course I'd buy it as well, I always do for games/music/videos or whatever that I enjoy. I just like the convenience of being able to do it all from my computer.

it's the same link as they posted,so yeah I guess it is. Seems to work but it's not available in my country to watch, but i've seen it, it's great.

Last edited:
is there anywhere to watch it for free availible?

I can't provide the link on here obviously, but there are torrents of it available online if you look.

I thought it was a very informative documentary that tries to be as balanced as possible, it shows how drugs first became illegal and why and the consequent war on drugs. It was shown on BBC4 a month or so ago here in the UK and was probably the best documentary dealing with drugs that I've watched in a long time.