• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

the fork in the road

willfenix

Greenlighter
Here we are. After years of opiate abuse in various forms peppered with occasional periods of sobriety/getting clean, it looks like a crossroads has emerged in the path ahead. I'm 29, have lived in the south (away from home) for 3 years, and recently returned due to circumstances out of my control. I moved back in with my parents and have been doing the poppy seed tea routine since I've been back here. Long story short, today they found the whole stash of "paraphenelia" (i.e. bottles filled with old seeds, lemon juice containers, poppy seed containers etc) and I am waiting for my mom to return home because "we need to talk". I'm not certain what the talk will consist of, but if I decide to be completely honest and not bullshit my way out of it (not likely, considering the incriminating evidence and the fact that if I lie to them, I'll be setting myself up for having no help in the future) I feel like the option of rehab will be brought up. In the past it has come up, years ago, and I wasn't ready to confront it.

I know I will have to stop this at some point. I want to, but I don't want to. Looking for any and all thoughts.

If they offer to pay for rehab, do it. Dope will always be there, it's never going to go away. Take this chance to get clean and see what a happy, sober life feels like :)

I would say that as far as the conversation goes you could admit use and abuse, or you could color it as occasional and as a way to relax.

If you aren't ready to be sober figure a way around. If you are ready to be sober then just come clean and ask for help... Ask for help assuming they're reasonable people. If they aren't reasonable people I wouldn't admit a damn thing and I'd figure out a way to help yourself.

The way you sound, it doesn't sound like you've hit your bottom. I dislike that phrase, but you still want to use. The ramifications haven't taken enough away from you yet.

Keep us updated.

Sometimes it's difficult for parents to tell what they are truly supporting, one's addiction or recovery. Maybe be honest about it, and offer to begin seeking some help … even if it's tapering down and/or starting support groups. I'm an opiate addict myself.. Tapered off Heroin. Getting clean again… I relate, it's not easy, nor confiding in those I love.
I had a similar incident on a former DOC when I was very very young… my mom finding all my stuff…

^I'll chime in from the parent's side of things. It is indeed difficult to know what to do (a lot depends on the age of your child) and to know when you are helping, when you are enabling, when you are supporting and when you are damaging. In reality you will stumble through every single one of those multiple times. I can say this: it is the most helpless and alone you will ever feel to watch addiction kicking your kid around right in front of you.

I do know that when my kids were honest with me and I was honest back we were able to a establish better grip on what each of us actually had control over. There is an innate drive in parents to protect their children from harm. Unfortunately you have no control over that once your child is beyond infancy but it is hard to let go of such a primal directive. I encourage everyone to be honest and to face your parents fears with both compassion for yourself (don't buy into shame) and compassion for them.<3

^I'll chime in from the parent's side of things. It is indeed difficult to know what to do (a lot depends on the age of your child) and to know when you are helping, when you are enabling, when you are supporting and when you are damaging. In reality you will stumble through every single one of those multiple times. I can say this: it is the most helpless and alone you will ever feel to watch addiction kicking your kid around right in front of you.

I do know that when my kids were honest with me and I was honest back we were able to a establish better grip on what each of us actually had control over. There is an innate drive in parents to protect their children from harm. Unfortunately you have no control over that once your child is beyond infancy but it is hard to let go of such a primal directive. I encourage everyone to be honest and to face your parents fears with both compassion for yourself (don't buy into shame) and compassion for them.<3

Good point Herbavore - If I knew then as a child what i know now, to trust my parents with my issues … things might be different today. Maybe. :)

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for your input and thoughts. I made that initial post in a moment of fear and desperation, and you all took the time and effort to contribute, and I owe you all many thanks for that. Seeing as that was my first post on these forums (despite being a lurker for years), it truly means a lot to read these responses. I feel it necessary to provide some clarification/background: I am 29 years old, I have lived my own life and have functioned on my own as a person who enjoys and relies on opiates to get me through life for quite awhile now. My parents/family don't know much about this.

So to cut to the chase, I basically ended up moving in with them temporarily while I figured out what to do next in my life. As previously stated, they found the PST stuff, and had a talk about it with me. I very much appreciate @eurphoricnod's comments on this - giving me logical advice on how to deal with a sticky situation. For an update, they talked to me and I played everything down, resulting in a stalemate where they are concerned for me yet accepted my side of the story, saying that the tea is simply a homemade "medicine" that helps me on a day-to-day basis and that they shouldn't go crazy worrying about me, as I have sustained myself for quite some time and I am very much a grown man who is "ok" and am just doing something that seems confusing and scary to them based on what they have read on the internet. @euphoricnod specifically - you brought up a really good point in that I truly am not sure whether I want to stop doing opiates. I always read about how it takes "hitting rock bottom" to quit, or more accurately that you truly HAVE to WANT to quit in order to do so. I'm at a crossroads there because I love opiates and they mean the world to me (if I'm being honest), but I also feel like maybe this is the point where I have an opportunity to step away from them, and if I don't accept this "deal", it might not be there in the future.

Here's my thought process with drugs: do them, love them, get everything you can from them, but at some point you have to stop. Is this that point? Honestly, I can't possibly imagine ever NOT being immensely attracted to opiates. But again, I'm 29 and I feel like maybe if I cut it off right now, I can say "that's that" and get away from them (as much as is possible for any human being with a predisposition to use). I'm a resourceful person and know that if properly motivated I can keep the opiate train running, but the wheels have been getting squeaky and the ride bumpy. For what it's worth, I have never EVER come out in the open about my addiction and said "I quit" or come clean and explained to everyone the extent of my habits. That is why I'm very cautious in regards to approaching this - I don't want to fail in trying to quit and bring a ton of attention to this. Once again, I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to this, I'm not sure how it will end up but I'm glad I brought it up on here. Thanks again guys, and good luck to everyone else as we navigate these weird waters.

PS - I wrote all of that pretty quickly, but I want to individually thank BlueSaffron, Smoky, and Herbavore for their input. I got a lot more input than I expected for this and without being sappy I just want you to know I read all of your replies and took them all to heart, so thank you!

Last edited:
Sometimes it's difficult for parents to tell what they are truly supporting, one's addiction or recovery. Maybe be honest about it, and offer to begin seeking some help … even if it's tapering down and/or starting support groups. I'm an opiate addict myself.. Tapered off Heroin. Getting clean again… I relate, it's not easy, nor confiding in those I love.
I had a similar incident on a former DOC when I was very very young… my mom finding all my stuff…

Smoky, the point you make about confiding in those you love, im trying to find the words, amazingly difficult. It such a humbling feel to admit to those you love just how messed up we are. It's one of the reasons I used for two more years, I didn't want to admit it to those I held closest. However once I did, the burden of those 7 years were lifted. I felt so much better and the fact they still loved me was overwhelming. Thank you for pointing that out.

Bob

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for your input and thoughts. I made that initial post in a moment of fear and desperation, and you all took the time and effort to contribute, and I owe you all many thanks for that. Seeing as that was my first post on these forums (despite being a lurker for years), it truly means a lot to read these responses. I feel it necessary to provide some clarification/background: I am 29 years old, I have lived my own life and have functioned on my own as a person who enjoys and relies on opiates to get me through life for quite awhile now. My parents/family don't know much about this.

So to cut to the chase, I basically ended up moving in with them temporarily while I figured out what to do next in my life. As previously stated, they found the PST stuff, and had a talk about it with me. I very much appreciate @eurphoricnod's comments on this - giving me logical advice on how to deal with a sticky situation. For an update, they talked to me and I played everything down, resulting in a stalemate where they are concerned for me yet accepted my side of the story, saying that the tea is simply a homemade "medicine" that helps me on a day-to-day basis and that they shouldn't go crazy worrying about me, as I have sustained myself for quite some time and I am very much a grown man who is "ok" and am just doing something that seems confusing and scary to them based on what they have read on the internet. @euphoricnod specifically - you brought up a really good point in that I truly am not sure whether I want to stop doing opiates. I always read about how it takes "hitting rock bottom" to quit, or more accurately that you truly HAVE to WANT to quit in order to do so. I'm at a crossroads there because I love opiates and they mean the world to me (if I'm being honest), but I also feel like maybe this is the point where I have an opportunity to step away from them, and if I don't accept this "deal", it might not be there in the future.

Here's my thought process with drugs: do them, love them, get everything you can from them, but at some point you have to stop. Is this that point? Honestly, I can't possibly imagine ever NOT being immensely attracted to opiates. But again, I'm 29 and I feel like maybe if I cut it off right now, I can say "that's that" and get away from them (as much as is possible for any human being with a predisposition to use). I'm a resourceful person and know that if properly motivated I can keep the opiate train running, but the wheels have been getting squeaky and the ride bumpy. For what it's worth, I have never EVER come out in the open about my addiction and said "I quit" or come clean and explained to everyone the extent of my habits. That is why I'm very cautious in regards to approaching this - I don't want to fail in trying to quit and bring a ton of attention to this. Once again, I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to this, I'm not sure how it will end up but I'm glad I brought it up on here. Thanks again guys, and good luck to everyone else as we navigate these weird waters.

PS - I wrote all of that pretty quickly, but I want to individually thank BlueSaffron, Smoky, and Herbavore for their input. I got a lot more input than I expected for this and without being sappy I just want you to know I read all of your replies and took them all to heart, so thank you!

Will,

First, thanks for posting your story. Second, you sound exactly like me 7 years ago, I was 29, had legit chronic pain, but I also loved the opiates that were prescribed to me. Now im 36, lost the ages of 3-9, in my daughters life.

Take the deal man, I know how you feel currently, but trust me, being clean feels so much better. If you're the man you say you are, tell the parents the truth. I know its hard, but you don't want to go down this path. Save yourself 7 years and I hope you find your way. Make no doubt, if left alone, opiates will steal everything you have. All it needs is time. Read this before you cross the red line:

I destroy homes, I tear families apart, I take your children, and that's just the start.

I'm more costly than diamonds, more precious than gold, the sorrow I bring is asight to behold.

If you need me, remember I'm easily found, I live all around you - in schoolsand in town

I live with the rich, I live with the poor, I live down the street, and maybenext door.

My power is awesome, try me you'll see, But if you do, you may never breakfree.

Just try me once and I might let you go, But try me twice, and I'll own yoursoul.

When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie, You do what you have to justto get high.

The crimes you'll commit for my narcotic charms Will be worth the pleasureyou'll feel in your arms.

You'll lie to your mother, you'll steal from your dad, when you see theirtears, you should feel sad.

But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised, I'll be your conscience,I'll teach you my ways.

I take kids from parents, and parents from kids, I turn people from God, andseparate friends.

I'll take everything from you, your looks and your pride, I'll be with youalways, right by your side.

You'll give up everything - your family, your home, your friends, your money,then you'll be alone.

I'll take and take, till you have nothing more to give, when I'm finished withyou, you'll be lucky to live.

If you try me be warned - this is no game, If given the chance, I'll drive youinsane.

I'll ravish your body, I'll control your mind, I'll own you completely, yoursoul will be mine.

You won't be able to lie in your bed, the voices you'll hear, from inside yourhead.

The sweats, the shakes, the pain your body will feel, I want you to know, theseare all gifts from me.

But then it's too late, and you'll know in your heart, that you are mine, andwe shall not part.

You'll regret that you tried me, they always do, but you came to me, not I toyou.

You knew this would happen, many times you were told, but you challenged mypower, and chose to be bold.

You could have said no, and just walked away, If you could live that day over,now what would you say?

I'll be your master, you will be my slave, I'll even go with you, when you goto your grave.

Now that you have met me, what will you do? Will you try me or not? It's all upto you.

I can bring you more misery than words can tell,Come take my hand, let melead you to HELL.

Smoky, the point you make about confiding in those you love, im trying to find the words, amazingly difficult. It such a humbling feel to admit to those you love just how messed up we are. It's one of the reasons I used for two more years, I didn't want to admit it to those I held closest. However once I did, the burden of those 7 years were lifted. I felt so much better and the fact they still loved me was overwhelming. Thank you for pointing that out.

Bob

Bob,
Yeah, it can seem so incredibly difficult. For me it centered around rejection as I lost my dad when young then my mom got violently ill with cancer, thus... i had a lot of abandonment issues -- this overlapped into my life for sometime. " If I tell them the truth I will not be accepted, understood, judged or left out in the cold to die. "

The reality is I left myself out in the cold by not disclosing the truth for a long time. A part of me thought I didn't want to hurt my family by informing them of my addiction, but in reality … keeping secrets kept me bound, isolated and drawn into myself hurting them even more, as they didn't know what was going on with me.
Talking about it really lifts the power out of the pain… Love is so very kind and accepting if one lets it in.

Much care… affection,

So glad you feel much better, it's so worth it! Keeping secrets keeps me suffering when I chose to hold onto the illusion that I am all alone... I won't be accepted, loved.<3 :)

Using doesn’t always equate addiction.