• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The First Video Game You Mastered

I've played a lot of games over the years but mostly always on other peoples systems so I never got to play too much. Eventually I bought a second hand 64 from cash converters and mastered mario kart 64. Its a small shame though because my skill level in that game far exceeded anyone elses that I knew apart from one of my best friends and he could never quite get to my level. I miss having a challenge in that game. If anyone here lives in Sydney and thinks they're pretty good at it I'd love to give you a few games :) I also got pretty decent at goldeneye but only in multiplayer.

oh man, mario 64

we did many 8 hour 4 player sessions of that beauty

Was probably "Roland on the Ropes" on the Amstrad CPC464;)

That was all 2D and pixels. The first 3D would have been Castle "Wolfstein"

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 on Sega Megadrive

P.S I was 5 or 6 years old I think

Last edited:
Tekken 3, PSone. It got to the point where no one would play me anymore, and this was on a college campus. If I played Jin and hit you once, you were dead. I could "juggle" like a master!

Alas, my fighting game skills went by the wayside when I got into Halo. I'd classify myself as expert in Halo 2, but by no means a master.

My most recent addiction has been the Guitar Hero games, and now Rock Band. Through The Fire And Flames is my bitch... well, the first four stars of it. ;)

^on what level?

mario bros. on NES, soon followed by the arcade version of gauntlet (which microsoft re-released for xbox).

...kytnism...:|

Probably Manic Miner & Chuckie Egg, but the one that changed me forever was Flashback on the Megadrive. The fucking business, so it was.

mdflashbackjl4.gif

flashbackgm7.jpg

CletusVanDow said:
Probably Manic Miner & Chuckie Egg, but the one that changed me forever was Flashback on the Megadrive. The fucking business, so it was.
Yeah, I had it on the Amiga 500 although I never bothered with it's sequel: Fade To Black.

Flashback came after the true daddy: Another World - which (I think) was often incorrectly regarded as Flashback's predecessor. Flashback had a much better "Bladerunner" and cyberpunk feel to it... but Another World was probably one of the first games that actually made me go weak-kneed at what was possible with computers.

Christ, I can still remember the first scene where you have to shoot some wild alien lion that chases after you.

AnotherWorld04-715482.png

awarrivee1280uj0.jpg

sonic.jpg

i still panic whe i hear the dreaded sound of sonic drowning "AAAAAAAARGGGH, MAKE IT STOP! *throws control at tv*
242px-Hogs_of_War.jpg

Hmmm what a great thread.

As for mastery it would be Tetris, Goldeneye, Mario Kart (Original and 64) and Zelda

Amebix said:
Either Star Wars: Rebel Assault

star_wars__rebel_assault_ii.jpg

Or super mario on super nintendo

Rebel Assault 2 for me

Dukenukem1.png

Duke Nukem FTW, also Star Wars: Dark Forces and Pokemon (red version specfically)...any of these could be considered the first I actually "mastered"...

Commputer Ambush for the Apple 2e (back in 1982-3)? It's been a long time on that one. I did not start playing a lot again until Castle Wolfenstein(sic?) and Doom came out. I love the FPS, if done right!

SubAbusePro1

Madden, back in 95. And I'll still kick your ass today ... tho I haven't bought a madden since they got exclusive rights. Still, it hasn't changed much :\