• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides The famous "Orange Barrels" of LSD in the 70's

Ive never heard that one. Ive heard that it might have been ALD-52 but Nick Sand, one of the chemists charged with producing Orange Sunshine said that they were 300 ug hit of LSD-25. He says the amazing thing about Orange Sunshine is that every hit was exactly 300 ug, not 299, not 301, but 300.

http://www.matrixmasters.net/archive/NickSand/054-NickSand-PalenqueNorte2006.mp3

He talks about this in this speech he gave at Burning Man 2006.
I've also read a few different places that some who have personally taken orange sunshine back in the day say it's inseparable to ETH LAD in terms of effects

So do you think that these barrels were dose with liquid or do you think that they were made with Crystal since that they are pellets????

Very good question, I wonder about this too.

I don't think they were liquid dropped onto the barrel substrate, because these were mass-produced and that would have been tedious.

Not pure crystal because that would have made those barrels several mg of LSD judging by their size.

Maybe they pressed pills from a very consistent mixture with the substrate, using some commercial pharma technique for getting very exact doses. I don't know what that would be though.

I had Orange Barrels in the early 70s. They were the ones that were about 1/8" top and bottom. Tgey also made Christmas Barrels that were a mix of Orange and Green Barrels mixed about 50/50 in the hundred lot. They were plenty strong, you only needed one.
Orange Sunshine was a little earlier and the BEL made it on a sheet of plywood, drilled with a small bit. They made a paste and spread it over the plywood, then after it dried bend the plywood and pop them out. They had so much LSD that they didn't have to conserve. Orange Sunshine looked a bit like a small Orange aspirin. Orange Barrels looked like well, tiny Barrels. All kinds of tabs and microdots were around in those days. The first I got was fall of 1970. They were called Green Berkeley... were outstanding! Purple Microdot was very common and could be strong or weak. There was Blue Cheer, took two and standing in a den, eyes open watched a coffee table pull apart like a Milky Way candy bar sort of... then I was in space looking at and being a comet... I remember it. All I knew was " I Am". Didn't know who or what. Then came Window Pane. It was always said to be 500mics and I believe it.
Orange Barrels were very good and I'm certain they were a Sand product.
I lost count at around 300 trips, including shrooms... good days though!! Lots of fun. Never had a bad trip. Only one slightly negative one and I think it was because the dose was too low. Coming down our host put on the movie: Marijuana: Assassin of Youth and I became convinced that the movie was about me personally.... I didn't sleep much and went boating next day. I would have preferred resting...
I'm 65 now and constantly think about microdosing but it scares me a little.
One time I took too much purple microdot.. I took 4 every two hours, through 4 hours, toral16 hits. All was well until the last 4 hits. I took them and in a bit I became extremely heavy and laid on a sofa. My whole life went before my eyes like someone pulled the handle on a slot machine, just like that... snapshots of my life flying by, top to bottom. 20 minutes later I was down... straight as a board.
You never know what is going to happen when you take a psychedelic. I've had shrooms come on in 15 minutes, had shrooms from the same field wait a full three hours to come on at all... then BAM, all at once. Picked them myself so they were not doctored.
I'll admit this once. The most stupid thing... well the most dangerous thing... well one of the stupid and dangerous things I did when I was young and immortal. We boiled 2.5 pounds of stems all afternoon. No internet back then to consult so I didn't know I needed a more complex extraction method. There was even some Lipton tea bags in the brew. I somehow thought it would be a good idea to draw up about I dont know... half a syringe and shoot it in my vein. It didn't kill me (obviously) but man... my temperature went up to 104 before coming back down. I don't recommend stupidity but we all have our moments. I'm quite sure The Lord was merciful to me. No doubt about that.
You new guys... a lot of the music from the late 60s was made for LSD. Try any of Jimi's studio albums, particularly Are You Experienced and AXIS: Bold as Love... you'll see what I mean. I know there's new stuff geared toward enhancing a trip (Jam Music) but a LOT of the music from '67-'70 or so was acid music. Even The BEATLES.. Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Peppers, though I never used it for that. I listen now and totally hear it.
Back to the first trip... first OEVs were six choppers and bikers going by every time we passed a car, it was just after dark so, headlights and cars became three sets of bikes, side by side instead of cars... then we got somewhere and I remember asking, " who threw up in the kitchen sink "? LOL shut up man, you're trippin'... I didn't know. Then the first CEVs were ANAZING!!! I had 360 degree vision and there was a line of Peace Signs and a line of Anchs.. one came from the right the other from the left. Each came from infinity and each curved inward until they came through my head side by side, exited the back and curved back out into infinity. They were back to back each in its line and covered with multicolored, moving, paisley shapes.
I've also been a short ways into a forest of Greek columns... but I opened my eyes for rear of getting lost. I've always wondered what was in there... one other remarkable vision was listening through headphones to Hendrix' song Angel. An angel came down and took me by the hand but as we began to fly I once again got scared and opened my eyes. That stuff was a white tab, larger than a microdot and was sold as psilocybin it may have been, I got a stash of them and decided I wanted to live life with them and began taking a half everyday. Happened so one of the days fell on Thanksgiving 1970... is hard to eat food that is my bing around on the plate... all the family around, at my uncle's house. I ate a little and excused myself..
Anyway, good times were had by most people I knew. Some weirded out but most people came through fine.
Bottom line, Orange Barrels and Orange Sunshine, two different things. Sunshine came first.
I have a friend who pretty well described the difference between LSD and Mushrooms. He said LSD is clean but mushrooms are like someone whispering something dirty in your ear. Pretty much true. Clinical vs organic.
Happy Trails to you!
Ixnax

Last edited:
Orange Sunshine was a little earlier and the BEL made it on a sheet of plywood, drilled with a small bit. They made a paste and spread it over the plywood, then after it dried bend the plywood and pop them out. They had so much LSD that they didn't have to conserve. Orange Sunshine looked a bit like a small Orange aspirin. Orange Barrels looked like well, tiny Barrels.

Cool method

I'll admit this once. The most stupid thing... well the most dangerous thing... well one of the stupid and dangerous things I did when I was young and immortal. We boiled 2.5 pounds of stems all afternoon. No internet back then to consult so I didn't know I needed a more complex extraction method. There was even some Lipton tea bags in the brew. I somehow thought it would be a good idea to draw up about I dont know... half a syringe and shoot it in my vein. It didn't kill me (obviously) but man... my temperature went up to 104 before coming back down. I don't recommend stupidity but we all have our moments. I'm quite sure The Lord was merciful to me. No doubt about that.

You were lucky, what a bat shit crazy thing to do...! Glad you survived that. At least you boiled it all so it was probably semi-sterile..

I had Orange Barrels in the early 70s. They were the ones that were about 1/8" top and bottom. Tgey also made Christmas Barrels that were a mix of Orange and Green Barrels mixed about 50/50 in the hundred lot. They were plenty strong, you only needed one.
Orange Sunshine was a little earlier and the BEL made it on a sheet of plywood, drilled with a small bit. They made a paste and spread it over the plywood, then after it dried bend the plywood and pop them out. They had so much LSD that they didn't have to conserve. Orange Sunshine looked a bit like a small Orange aspirin. Orange Barrels looked like well, tiny Barrels. All kinds of tabs and microdots were around in those days. The first I got was fall of 1970. They were called Green Berkeley... were outstanding! Purple Microdot was very common and could be strong or weak. There was Blue Cheer, took two and standing in a den, eyes open watched a coffee table pull apart like a Milky Way candy bar sort of... then I was in space looking at and being a comet... I remember it. All I knew was " I Am". Didn't know who or what. Then came Window Pane. It was always said to be 500mics and I believe it.
Orange Barrels were very good and I'm certain they were a Sand product.
I lost count at around 300 trips, including shrooms... good days though!! Lots of fun. Never had a bad trip. Only one slightly negative one and I think it was because the dose was too low. Coming down our host put on the movie: Marijuana: Assassin of Youth and I became convinced that the movie was about me personally.... I didn't sleep much and went boating next day. I would have preferred resting...
I'm 65 now and constantly think about microdosing but it scares me a little.
One time I took too much purple microdot.. I took 4 every two hours, through 4 hours, toral16 hits. All was well until the last 4 hits. I took them and in a bit I became extremely heavy and laid on a sofa. My whole life went before my eyes like someone pulled the handle on a slot machine, just like that... snapshots of my life flying by, top to bottom. 20 minutes later I was down... straight as a board.
You never know what is going to happen when you take a psychedelic. I've had shrooms come on in 15 minutes, had shrooms from the same field wait a full three hours to come on at all... then BAM, all at once. Picked them myself so they were not doctored.
You new guys... a lot of the music from the late 60s was made for LSD. Try any of Jimi's studio albums, particularly Are You Experienced and AXIS: Bold as Love... you'll see what I mean. I know there's new stuff geared toward enhancing a trip (Jam Music) but a LOT of the music from '67-'70 or so was acid music. Even The BEATLES.. Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Peppers, though I never used it for that. I listen now and totally hear it.
Back to the first trip... first OEVs were six choppers and bikers going by every time we passed a car, it was just after dark so, headlights and cars became three sets of bikes, side by side instead of cars... then we got somewhere and I remember asking, " who threw up in the kitchen sink "? LOL shut up man, you're trippin'... I didn't know. Then the first CEVs were ANAZING!!! I had 360 degree vision and there was a line of Peace Signs and a line of Anchs.. one came from the right the other from the left. Each came from infinity and each curved inward until they came through my head side by side, exited the back and curved back out into infinity. They were back to back each in its line and covered with multicolored, moving, paisley shapes.
I've also been a short ways into a forest of Greek columns... but I opened my eyes for rear of getting lost. I've always wondered what was in there... one other remarkable vision was listening through headphones to Hendrix' song Angel. An angel came down and took me by the hand but as we began to fly I once again got scared and opened my eyes. That stuff was a white tab, larger than a microdot and was sold as psilocybin it may have been, I got a stash of them and decided I wanted to live life with them and began taking a half everyday. Happened so one of the days fell on Thanksgiving 1970... is hard to eat food that is my bing around on the plate... all the family around, at my uncle's house. I ate a little and excused myself..
Anyway, good times were had by most people I knew. Some weirded out but most people came through fine.
Bottom line, Orange Barrels and Orange Sunshine, two different things. Sunshine came first.
I have a friend who pretty well described the difference between LSD and Mushrooms. He said LSD is clean but mushrooms are like someone whispering something dirty in your ear. Pretty much true. Clinical vs organic.
Happy Trails to you!
Ixnax

I lived through those days too.

I know it's a lot to ask, but was that white table speckled? I had hundreds of each type you mentioned but the white speckled barrels were the most devastating. In Chicago it was sold as Pigeon Shit.

I still have a stash of 5 blue and 25 yellow barrels from back then.

My favorite window pane story was when I first got them I opened the pack at a McDonalds sidewalk and spilled about 25 on the speckled sidewalk. The bunch of folks I was with all got down on our hands and knees to try to reclaim them, but I'm sure we lost a bunch due to the size and transparency, and that damn textured sidewalk.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
I

White Rose... the white tabs I had were never Barrels but more of an aspirin shape tab. You know, it was all good though. You're lucky to still have some. I wish I'd had that foresight but alas... foresight was never my forte'.
I have a source in N. CA but haven't followed through yet. First was through the scientific community, the last was liquid... but I'm interested in the microdosing so I may try ETH LAD.. not sure. Too old to jump a fence and make a getaway anymore...
I don't think anyone cares anymore if you keep it small and stay at home and away from young people. I've had fantasies about going out to Laurel Canyon with a metal detector, I wonder if the BEL left any 55 gallon drums buried... wouldn't that be a nice find!!

Totally different then, bro!

I recently sourced some 1PLSD as a curiosity to compare it against the reference I have.

I'm looking at the Solar Eclipse as a suitable day to test (~300 mcg) and will post a trip report/

Happy Trails to You !
Until we meet again

I ate me a bunch of them micodots in the 90's the purple one's where baby food . But the purple jellies where right on. I got some peanut's orgy blotter once in Mo. Best shit ever.

orange-sunshine.jpg

Orange Sunshine, exactly as it looked in 1969

Nice, I always wondered what they actually looked like. I imagined a tiny thing that was shaped like a whiskey-aging barrel. =D

orange-sunshine.jpg

Orange Sunshine, exactly as it looked in 1969

Confirmed, exactly like 1969 %).

I had them in yellow and corn flower blue as well. Yellow was dosed higher, blue less than the orange. All were circulating at the same time.

tumblr_npyvgqmRyV1qzhoqfo1_1280.jpg

Here's a page from the Chicago Seed circa 1969-70 that includes a "Dr Epod" (dope spelled backwards) report on them being in circulation that includes the advertised dosage. This was a regular feature in the Seed that reported the market once a week.

I never had the Orange Barrels assayed but I had plenty of them at the time. My ex-wife and I would split 1 barrel and it was a +++ to ++++ experience on a reliable basis. Easily 600-800 mics per barrel.

Enjoy !

orange blossom double barrel..early to late seventies for me...rented a house in buzzards bay, mass. down on cape cod...worked construction at the time...oh yeah...the house is where everybody tripped...backyard was the beach...go out at low tide and get scallops and little necks [ clams for those of you who never been in new england.]---..florida sunroom on back of house, looking out to the bay and all the boats...24 \ 7 ...365 days of partying...i was in my twenties...at this time it was; make love, not war ............ THOUGHT #2,,,,,,also used to be a bar on the 17th floor in the control tower at logan airport,,, i used do do couple of double barrels...go to the bar...pick a flight to somewhere, i've never been...when i landed, god knows where...it was hip...ran into fellow hippies right away, always found a place within the hippie culture, they were everywhere...traveled to a place, spent a few days there hung out...smoked killer weed...did a few hits of acid with my new friends...went home, and picked up, where i left off ...in life ... do it... make the memories, don't be the person saying i should have , or i wish , i did that --- that's just part of my story...thinking back to those times and the people, always warms my heart...so glad to be a baby boomer...ps] also , we lost a lot of people in those days...we had a rather large group of people, who all loved to trip...we also took care of one another...and the music, ...come on...back then...the live concerts at the garden...the lesson is;...life...is what you make it...little taste of the good ol days, by; smokin for fifty five...

Last edited: