• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids The effect of DXM on Oxycodone and chronic pain

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

It would be awesome to possibly Sticky this but if not I understand. This is partially Harm Reduction, partially my story but very insightful and the plight of a man knocking at death's door just seeking relief.

There are threads I have made in regards to Dextromethorphan, and while the long-acting variant ( Dextromethorphan polistirex )is effective my focus here is going to be on Dextromethorphan HBr (Hydrobromide)

So post-military, life is nearly unbearable. Chronic pain and PTSD are a deadly duo. Through a friend I was recommended DXM. No expectations, no bias.

Day 1:

- Take Oxycodone 10MG at 6AM.
- 8AM Extreme pain. Hot shower, 150MG Lyrica
- 8:30AM - My first dose of 2MG Clonazepam for extreme anxiety at this moment. Second dose of Oxy is also 8:30AM.
- First DXM delivery arrives 10:30AM.
- I take 90MG DXM HBr orally.
- No relief by 12. I double down.
- By 3PM my dose is around 280MG. I am able to actually wait for proper relief. I am mentally stimulated. I take another hot shower. Shocked I've gotten so far with so little.
- 3PM 10MG Oxycodone, final 75MG of Lyrica
- 4PM I take 150MG DXM
- I am encapsulated and mentally awake. My anxiety has melted away and I forget I haven't taken my second dose of Clonazepam
- I manage to wait until 6:30PM for my last 10MG of Oxycodone. Usually this would be gone hours ago. Is this a placebo?
- I take my SSRI (Citalopram 20MG) for rest at 9PM. Entirely skipped my Temazepam AND 4MG Clonazepam

Day 2:

- I wake up and it is 9:30AM. How the hell did I manage to sleep in? It is late enough to get proper morning relief
- 10AM - 20MG Oxycodone orally, 150MG Lyrica and 2MG Clonazepam after hot shower. Thoughts of yesterday's relief are on my mind.
- 11:30AM I take 205MG DXM.
- By 1PM I feel functional!
- 2:30PM my pain sneaks up. You tricky bastard. I know how to manage you after all these years. Another hot shower. This battle will be mine.
- 3PM I get out of the shower and take 10MG Oxycodone. I will get through this.
- 4PM I double down and than some. 280MG DXM orally. Final dose 75MG Pregabalin.
- 6PM mental breakdown. No blinking. Faces are in front of me and I must deal with this head on. Why do we repress such things? I am mentally stimulated and it is all very real. Trauma related hallucinations are getting to me.
- 7PM - I have yet to blink. Staring into the darkness which is me. The constant flow of tears has kept my eyes lubricated. The losses are hard to absorb. I cannot beat this right now. I take 2MG Clonazepam sublingually and my final dose of 10MG Oxycodone, though my pain is faint the mental anguish is there.
- 9:30PM - most of the anguish is gone. I am okay with not being okay. This was a scary breakdown, skeptical about this drug.
- 10:30PM - I take my SSRI (20MG Citalopram) I am asleep before 12 and again have forgotten about Temezpam and my final 2MG Clonazepam!

Day 3:

- I open my eyes at 9:45! How have I slept so well? I never do this. 20MG Oxycodone and an extremely hot shower.
- 10AM - I am starting early but a bit more slowly. 180MG DXM, aside my other medications. 150MG Pregablin, 2MG Clonazepam
- 12PM - my fear of the breakdown has melted and I will be alright. I take 205MG DXM.
- By 4PM time has melted and the neuropathic pain along with it. I am down but up. Mentally stimulated but able to feel the pain to a much lesser degree. Marijuana has been used throughout this process and has much less of an anxiety-producing effext.
- 4PM I take 10MG Oxycodone and another 150MG DXM. I feel amazing.
- By 6PM I realize I have taken more than normal and have visual hallucinations along with auditory issues. Nothing major, just feeling what I assume is referred to as"robotripping"
- I am staring at the art I have created and attained and my mask collection well past 8PM. At some time between my staring and admiring the art and my last dose of DXM I must have taken my final 10MG of Oxy. My pain is amazingly well-controlled. I am okay with not being okay for once.
- 10PM I take my SSRI (20MG Citalopram) and yet again, a day has passed with no Temazepam and only 2 of my 6MG Clonazepam required.

Observations:

- For me, I believe Dextromethorphan to be a miracle drug. It has reduced my tolerance to my Oxycodone and possibly all opiates and opioids in general. I take strictly for pain so can only speak about Oxycodone Hydrochloride and it's effect on this drug.

- Doses vary substantially but 600MG throughout the day seems to be great for pain. Doses under 105MG did help PTSD symptoms but didn't touch my pain

- Somehow, this gives me anxiety relief in a major way. While I did have a breakdown; I was long overdue. It makes you look at your life and while tough, it riddens daily anxieties you allow to build up.

- My pain is not going to go away but this helps manage it and does more than just make it easier to wait for my next dose of opioids. This is a beautiful drug for pain patients and anxiety patients alike.

- Starting with 90MG is ideal for anxiety and slight pain relief

- After 600MG (throughout the day) this drug can truly be experienced

- Single doses of 280MG help in their OWN way. Not just a sidekick to an opioid. Dextromethorphan has aided my pain by itself. I took my last 120MG 2 hours ago and await my next dosage to arrive.

- This drug has taken my last dosage of Oxycodone from 3PM to 7PM. I wake up at 9AM instead of 4-6AM daily.

- It has now been over 7 days and things have only improved while the dose is maintained at or below 1,000MG daily

- Though already scientifically proven, nothing has ever lowered my tolerance to Oxy so I doubted it. It worked. My doses actually help somewhat now.

- I can not say it reduces tolerance to Benzodiazepines but what I can say with confidence is you need MUCH less for true relief throughout the day. From 6MG to 2MG of Clonazepam.

This is my miracle drug.

*** It should not be combined with an SSRI and I am looking into this but in the meantime have moved my Citalopram to nighttime and separate by minimally 2 hours.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Dude, first off, thanks a lot for the service! Sadly, I don't have the balls to required to fight people, so I am glad you have those balls. At any rate. All balls considered. Balls to the wall? Jingle balls?

It's awesome that you have found something that helps you with your problems. All joking aside, it's so sad hearing from you guys and the issues that you face after coming home. I can't imagine what it's like, but from what you and others have described, it sounds very difficult. Dextromethorphan (DXM; Cough Syrup) is surely not a treatment for these symptoms, but drugs are used off-label all the time anyway, so if it works and there are not unbearable side effects, great!

If you are really able to "forget" to take a dosage of your Clonazepam (Klonopin; Rivotril), that's a good thing. Benzodiazepines are not something that you want to be on for very long periods of time. The benefits often are outweighed by the negative effects of chronic use.

I get it if this is supposed to be informative. I think if you can get the same relief from DXM that you get from stuff like Clonazepam, go for it. We just need to really try our best to be aware of the potential negative side effects, if any, there are associated with chronic DXM use. I admit right now that I am not really knowledgeable on the subject. I'm going to start reading about it now, but I would love it if some of the DXM experts could weight in. There are a lot of folks who use DXM recreationally, however, I think their usage is more of a very high dose every so often type of thing.

Thank you for the contribution. I hope other vets and everyone else can maybe get some help from this.

Dude, first off, thanks a lot for the service! Sadly, I don't have the balls to required to fight people, so I am glad you have those balls. At any rate. All balls considered. Balls to the wall? Jingle balls?

It's awesome that you have found something that helps you with your problems. All joking aside, it's so sad hearing from you guys and the issues that you face after coming home. I can't imagine what it's like, but from what you and others have described, it sounds very difficult. Dextromethorphan (DXM; Cough Syrup) is surely not a treatment for these symptoms, but drugs are used off-label all the time anyway, so if it works and there are not unbearable side effects, great!

If you are really able to "forget" to take a dosage of your Clonazepam (Klonopin; Rivotril), that's a good thing. Benzodiazepines are not something that you want to be on for very long periods of time. The benefits often are outweighed by the negative effects of chronic use.

I get it if this is supposed to be informative. I think if you can get the same relief from DXM that you get from stuff like Clonazepam, go for it. We just need to really try our best to be aware of the potential negative side effects, if any, there are associated with chronic DXM use. I admit right now that I am not really knowledgeable on the subject. I'm going to start reading about it now, but I would love it if some of the DXM experts could weight in. There are a lot of folks who use DXM recreationally, however, I think their usage is more of a very high dose every so often type of thing.

Thank you for the contribution. I hope other vets and everyone else can maybe get some help from this.

From what I gathered, there are few to no side effects! Psychological dependency seen in studies but like you said, extreme doses. Hopefully you and other Moderators can look into it!

It is just my plight after now nearly a decade out if service. I did try to include, the even though inconclusive, but very serious possibility of Serotonin Syndrome with an SSRI.

Here I'm the States there is not even a warning on the bottle! It does say not to take with a prescribed MAOI.

Thank you for reading and God Bless you brother

Thank you for your service, like Kief said I'm horrified by what veterans have to deal with and what little help you are given.

I've recently been experimenting with DXM for depression relief. I find that when I stack up 30mg multiple times a day, I have a very pleasant afterglow for up to 2 days afterword. No anhedonia, very little anxiety, some pain relief. I've always been a big proponent of dissociative use for a multitude of issues. They have helped me through a lot.

Look into ketamine therapy, it may be something you'd benefit from. It is a new experimental treatment for chronic pain, major depression, and PTSD.

This makes me wonder if PCP could be re-introduced as a medical aid for pain and depression. Not at a psychosis-inducing dose but... let me just say there is no better anti-depressant or painkiller than good ol phencyclidine.

Dxm definitely lowers acute opioid tolerance and potentiate opioids and their analgesia but be careful about dosage, even at 60mg it's a functional nonselective SNRI with nmda properties. In doses 1,5 mg/kg and higher it seriously influence the way you think and perceive things. I also noticed that it made benzodiazepines more sedative( probably potentiation or maybe just additive effect). But i can't imagine doses u mention(up to 1000mg) to be safe in any way. Holy crap 1000mg of dxm will make me trip balls and cause some serious mindfuck.

Dxm definitely lowers acute opioid tolerance and potentiate opioids and their analgesia but be careful about dosage, even at 60mg it's a functional nonselective SNRI with nmda properties. In doses 1,5 mg/kg and higher it seriously influence the way you think and perceive things. I also noticed that it made benzodiazepines more sedative( probably potentiation or maybe just additive effect). But i can't imagine doses u mention(up to 1000mg) to be safe in any way. Holy crap 1000mg of dxm will make me trip balls and cause some serious mindfuck.

Thank you so much for caring enough to take the time to reply brother! I am in the States and not too good with mg/kg brother I am sorry. Yesterday though man I took the entirety of the bottle 60x15MG so 900MG + early morning I took the 2 of the tablets Dextro HBR 60MG but also they have Guaifenesin 1200MG so I did not take more! I ended at 2AM with another 12 15MG so about 200MG more. I think altogether about 1,500MG.

I guess I metabolize differently but even with my daily medication intake I didn't feel like I do with shrooms or something you know? Just life was okay. At this dose I chose not to take my Citalopram 20MG in entirety and tonight only will take 10MG. God Bless you man

Thank you for your service, like Kief said I'm horrified by what veterans have to deal with and what little help you are given.

I've recently been experimenting with DXM for depression relief. I find that when I stack up 30mg multiple times a day, I have a very pleasant afterglow for up to 2 days afterword. No anhedonia, very little anxiety, some pain relief. I've always been a big proponent of dissociative use for a multitude of issues. They have helped me through a lot.

Look into ketamine therapy, it may be something you'd benefit from. It is a new experimental treatment for chronic pain, major depression, and PTSD.

Hey man,

Thank you! We do indeed have Ketamine Infusion Therapy here which is noted for Depression mostly byt insurance doesn't cover it and I believe it to be upward of $8,000. I think they lay you back and shoot you up with a lot of Ketamine they said for about 6 hours?

All I have is the Ketamine Infused Topical Creams. I do have a good amount, maybe 6 full bottles. It is mixed with Diclofenac and what I believe ti be Lidocaine so I never figured out how to get a good use of it. If I put about 12 "drops" right where the shrapnel lies it does indeed help but it recommends only 4 drops one area up to 2 areas so they stopped it 😭

With 1000mg dxm which is capable of occupie all your sert. receptors is taking Citalopram (almost perfecrly pure Ssri) absolutelly pointless and maybe dangeroes. Although 10mg citalopram daily + 400mg tram which is also snri produced interesting mdmasque visual changes ( colours nicer, Light from lamps on nightly hangout around Block looked warmer and deeper etc). With Dxm i recommend to take a puff from weed.

Last edited:
Watch out with binge dosing though, could lead to plateau sigma, which is I think the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve. There's no set guidelines to get there, but a couple of higher/lower dosages in short succession might be able to set if off. I like this description from tripsit, pretty accurate from everything I've read on it:
Many people refer to this level as "plateau sigma" because when you get to this state, your sigma receptors are hit on, and HARD. This completely changes the trip. This mind state is generally referred to as dysphoric, dark, confusing and "a hellish introspective nightmare"

I am Thankful for the replies and input you are getting here @FutureReference

We really need to find something to help you and our other great veterans of our wonderful USA!
I know there are many out there who suffer such as you do my brother.
I want to find an answer for you!

Have you checked out the Psychedelic Medication Forum?
@mr peabody has some awesome information there on using psychedelics for many of the things you are suffering from.
Insurance is even starting to cover these treatments.
If you found a treatment you think might work, I think we could get the insurance company to cover it.

Have a look and let me know if you see anything that you think could help. Long term.

So sorry for your troubles. Maybe have a look here:
PS. Many people don't realize: inflammation can be responsible for MOST of the pain they suffer from. Even if it's only 50% responsible, that's a lot! Take it from me (a long-time sufferer of inflammation-related pain), there is NOTHING better for controlling pain caused by inflammation than Prednisone!!

20mg daily can make an otherwise unbearable condition manageable. But try not to take more than that.