• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles The duality of cannabis and it’s insomnia and sleep causing effects

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I only do edible tincture. Usually thc only but sometimes with cBD and cbn. Which don’t affect the issue at hand.

Anyways weed gives me crazy insomnia when used at night in any form. Only when I start heavily using weed in the morning do I experience the sleepiness that weed causes by night times. But I usually don’t like to use during the day and mornings except on weekends.

Anyways is there some way to combat this weed induced insomnia without taking harder drugs?

experiment with various attributes of cannabis:
The THC to CBD ratio, The Terpenes (myrcene for example) . There is a line where you will eventually sleep if you have too much cannabis but the point leading up to that point may be one of racing uncontrollable thoughts if you are having a bad time in an way shape or form then you will not be able to fall asleep so easily.
I suggest trying a lower dose , some people who use cannabis as a sleep aid will actually sleep on the burnout not the high (so like almost 2 hours after consumption)

experiment with various attributes of cannabis:
The THC to CBD ratio, The Terpenes (myrcene for example) . There is a line where you will eventually sleep if you have too much cannabis but the point leading up to that point may be one of racing uncontrollable thoughts if you are having a bad time in an way shape or form then you will not be able to fall asleep so easily.
I suggest trying a lower dose , some people who use cannabis as a sleep aid will actually sleep on the burnout not the high (so like almost 2 hours after consumption)
That’s exactly the problem. Racing thoughts and I sleep on the burnout. But with edibles the high is like 5+ hours so if I do it after work I’m still wired at bed time.

I really don’t want to go back to smoking it either

That’s exactly the problem. Racing thoughts and I sleep on the burnout. But with edibles the high is like 5+ hours so if I do it after work I’m still wired at bed time.

I really don’t want to go back to smoking it either
have you considered vaping it? the investment in a decent vape is a bit expensive yes but i can assure you that within time it will pay for itself over time as well not introduce lots of harmful chemicals to you system
The high wont last as long as edibles either and so you might find it easier to use how you want to. Lastly, something that you could find useful is finishing on a high CBD strain to iron out and get rid of those racing thoughts (Sometimes these thoughts arent even a negative thing, just like an expanded overexcited imagination lol)
(an article proving the effieciency of vaporising vs smoking https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6324384/ )

have you considered vaping it? the investment in a decent vape is a bit expensive yes but i can assure you that within time it will pay for itself over time as well not introduce lots of harmful chemicals to you system
The high wont last as long as edibles either and so you might find it easier to use how you want to. Lastly, something that you could find useful is finishing on a high CBD strain to iron out and get rid of those racing thoughts (Sometimes these thoughts arent even a negative thing, just like an expanded overexcited imagination lol)
(an article proving the effieciency of vaporising vs smoking https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6324384/ )
I used to smoke and vape and still do once in a blue moon but I consider it a relapse of sorts because I want to protect my lungs for athletic reasons and they might be damaged already because I get pain sometimes if I smoke and I’ve been hospitalized with lung issues from smoking and inhaling every drug on earth like a decade ago.

I’ve read some research on vaping and there isn’t much specific to cannabis but signs point to it being carcinogenic.

Plus with any sort of smoking or vapimg my use becomes super compulsive and straight abusive. Sticking to tinctures I’m able to reserve cannabis for only the evenings and not everyday since the experience requires so much time to kick in and lasts so long it has to be sort of planned.

When you throw in the instant hit of smoking or vape it becomes about Gerring that instant headrush and hit more than the cannabis high itself for me.

I’d love to at least develop a carrier I can mix with tincture or thc extract that would make it absorb much faster…something like dmso except safe to ingest.

I used to smoke and vape and still do once in a blue moon but I consider it a relapse of sorts because I want to protect my lungs for athletic reasons and they might be damaged already because I get pain sometimes if I smoke and I’ve been hospitalized with lung issues from smoking and inhaling every drug on earth like a decade ago.

I’ve read some research on vaping and there isn’t much specific to cannabis but signs point to it being carcinogenic.

Plus with any sort of smoking or vapimg my use becomes super compulsive and straight abusive. Sticking to tinctures I’m able to reserve cannabis for only the evenings and not everyday since the experience requires so much time to kick in and lasts so long it has to be sort of planned.

When you throw in the instant hit of smoking or vape it becomes about Gerring that instant headrush and hit more than the cannabis high itself for me.

I’d love to at least develop a carrier I can mix with tincture or thc extract that would make it absorb much faster…something like dmso except safe to ingest.

These days you can buy fast-acting gummies that kick in in about five to fifteen minutes and feel more like a smoking or vaping high and unlike traditional edibles. I recently moved to a legal state and encountered them by accident and did a little reading into them. They basically prepare the gummy in a certain way (ones with packages the mention things like "our nanoemulsification process" as well as specifically labeling themselves as something like "fast-acting" are what you want to look for) that causes your body to absorb the THC in the gummies through tissue in like your mouth and throat and stomach lining which causes it to skip first-metabolism, so no 11-OH-THC unlike normal edibles and more like smoking, and it rapidly makes its way into the brain so it kicks in faster and also lasts shorter than traditional edibles. It won't help with compulsive use probably but it's certainly an option to get a smoking-like high that spares your lungs, I've been thinking about using them for a similar reason.

Try to stay away from strains that have energizing effects. I think Weedmaps lists them

I only use edibles and I only use them 4 hours before bed and only a 1:1 ratio THC to CBD. Never have sleep problems. I might eat everything in the kitchen but I'll be passed out within 4 hours

Have you tried mixing it with high doses of CBD?

But yeah that's why I always prefered the pulmonary route for regular use, edibles just last too long.

That being said, I sleep better now that I'm not using cannabis, I actually have a lot of REM sleep now and probably more deep sleep as well. I don't even miss getting high much tbh.