• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Chemistry The drug users union and lab testing/harm reduction of all compounds via spectra testing graphs and discussion on NMR, HPLC, GC/MS, RAMEN or Similar

vash445

Bluelighter
For those unaware In April of 2016, user Le Junk posed a question to the Bluelight message board. Since then, his thread, “What is wrong with the MDMA available today?” has garnered over 6,300 responses and spanned over 320 pages. The thread, which has attracted worldwide contributions, seeks to understand why some 3,4-MDMA users experience an alternate effects profile even though the product is identified as 3,4-MDMA by GCMS testing.

Throughout this discussion, two primary lines of thinking have emerged – either something is wrong with the 3,4-MDMA or something is wrong with the user. “Loss of magic” is a frequently accepted phenomenon amongst 3,4-MDMA users, where those who engaged in frequent 3,4-MDMA use/abuse lose the ability to feel the primary effects of the drug. However, both experienced and new 3,4-MDMA users have complained of experiencing an alternate effects profile from the drug, and some users claim to have access to two types of product with distinctly different effects profiles. This seems to indicate that “loss of magic” is not the reason behind the phenomenon.

Over the years many others on bluelight,reddit and various other drug forums, have complained of "bad meth such as N-iso meth even when asking labs that have reference standards to look at bad N-iso meth and they can't find it", bad or meh mdma, cocaine isn't the same like it was in the 80's or early 90s and insert any other drugs that lab test as drugs but something isn't right. More over some users claim to have access to two or even 3 types of product with distinctly different effects profiles of many different drugs not just MDMA. This seems to indicate that “loss of magic” is not the reason behind the phenomenon. The drug users union and lab testing harm reduction primary goal and study currently is the 2 distinct pharmacological profile of MDMA via submitted spectra graphs as it is the LARGEST collection of members to date, Currently we also have confirmed meh and magic batches with a magic batch having a clean NMR vs dirty on the meh batches. The drug users union accepts spectra graphs of all drugs and spectra graphs not just NMR however. saying ya it's MDMA or whatever is not good enough, you must not only have the results. But when asking for the graph and the labs response is always or similar to, an uncertain mineral 10-15% by FTIR spectrometer. Unfortunately we do not provide our spectra to our clients. This sample is quite a good match for our amphetamine sulfate reference spectra, with some broad peaks leftover in a region that matches common minerals will not qualify unless you have an spectra from a different lab to give us as many ideas.

If you live in the EU/ASIA/ETC and know a lab willing to submit the graphs with the samples please let us know. Anyone worldwide is allowed to submit spectra graphs

If you are in the USA, I have good news bluelight may qualify for testing with a university lab and they include graphs for as low as Free to as high as $20 . The major caveat is that a,drug users union, harm reduction organization, needle exchange, or (some) public health departments have to send the sample in. You cannot send it directly and only people WITHIN the union or harm reduction group can give out codes and shipping instructions before mailing off. As such this university's mail-based paradigm also meets the needs of groups without access to drug checking equipment, and those living under antiquated laws preventing drug checking. User unions can use drug checking to answer their own questions to protect their communities. That sounds like us and this group over all goals. Our projected facility if approved uses

A Thermo Exactive gas chromatography-mass spectrometer (GC-MS) is used for analysis, housed in the Department of chemistry at the University of name withheld The instrument is unique in that it provides both gas chromatography separations, as well as high resolution/accurate mass measurements. This allows chemical formula confirmation of opioids, byproducts, and fillers in the samples. This platform allows for a more sensitive analysis with substance identification that is definitive. They are a full service chemistry lab with DEA authorization to handle Schedule 1-V controlled substances. However, no worries they do not work with law enforcement.

For those wondering, Our projected partner lab would meet all laboratory-standard certifications and is subject to mandatory inspections from regulatory agencies: DEA, NC DHHS, etc. And their chemists are required to maintain GLP training and certification. and they don’t stop at chemistry. They conduct detailed statistical analyses to identify emerging and deadly substances in the drug supply. They also design more effective health communications. And are building an open source library of hand-drawn illustrations for drug alerts. Working with team members in advertising, we are also conducting randomized message trials to figure out how maximize understanding, and minimize unintended consequences in alerts from drug checking.

They are proud to support with a low/free cost “confirmatory” lab testing. (Although they believe FTIR and GCMS are equal and tell us different things.) Resident Bluelight crew vecktor brought up the question.

TLDR Australian researchers make meal of identifying positional isomer with NMR spin splitting and integrals, very basic stuff. Do they not teach how to identify benzene ortho meta para substitution patterns from IR anymore? maybe Mal can tell us.

I've also asked the AUS group but if not I also someone from this new possible partner lab. I wish to bring everyone good news within the following weeks and how much support the drug users union may receive. Either-way I plan to drop the link to their database of graphs after I hear if they will help or not.

Last edited:
Hey Vash,

I’m having a hard time understanding what’s going on exactly. Are you attempting to start this new testing database? If so, that’s pretty cool. Break it down for me.

-GC

Hey Vash,

I’m having a hard time understanding what’s going on exactly. Are you attempting to start this new testing database? If so, that’s pretty cool. Break it down for me.

-GC
Well yes.. no ... maybe? I'll send more in PM instead of a wall of text here. But it would be a sprecta database with accompying effects. This will i guess help us over all with wtf happened to our drugs.

Last edited: