Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The depths of marijuana addiction and there repercussions

urthy

Greenlighter
Today I witnessed two of my mates completely break because of their chronic marijuana use.

1) My mate and I consolidated a sales position together and have been on training for the past two days. My mate is known to get physically sick if he goes longer than 6 hours without a cone but his withdrawals today were absolutely horrifying. He had uncontrollable vomiting, was physically unable to stand on his feet and was literally in tears from the aches and pains all over his body. The only time I've seen withdrawals to this extent was when one of my close friends was in recovery from an opiate addiction.

2) After years of chronic marijuana use, my second mate developed severe paranoia to the point where he was admitted to the local mental hospital. He was diagnosed with psychosis and is now under treatment. The doctors are looking at holding him for the next 2-4 weeks before release.

I threw out the bud I bought today and highly doubt I'll be showing Mary love any time soon.

Has anybody else witnessed marijuana addiction to this extent?

Never heard pot to cause opiate withdrawal symptoms. First dude was probably addicted to opiates. Second dude most likely has a family with a history of mental illness and the pot may have sped up the inevitable.

google is pot addictive, there's lots of takes on it really.

http://recoveryguy.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Marijuana-Addictive

So for the most part, there really is no physical withdrawal;

ps) I think the correct wording for your title would be either -

The depths of marijuana addiction and THE repercussions, or The depths of marijuana addiction and ITS repercussions.. just saying.. I might be wrong lol.

Last edited:
google is pot addictive, there's lots of takes on it really.

http://recoveryguy.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Marijuana-Addictive

ps) I think the correct wording for your title would be either -

The depths of marijuana addiction and THE repercussions, or The depths of marijuana addiction and ITS repercussions.. just saying.. I might be wrong lol.

Yeah, you're right.

I've been up all night doing calculus work in preparation for the coming uni semester; grammar is the last thing on my mind. ;)

hehe... stupid comment on my part.

My mate is known to get physically sick if he goes longer than 6 hours without a cone but his withdrawals today were absolutely horrifying. He had uncontrollable vomiting, was physically unable to stand on his feet and was literally in tears from the aches and pains all over his body. The only time I've seen withdrawals to this extent was when one of my close friends was in recovery from an opiate addiction.

That sounds horrible. It doesnt sound like the effects of going with out pot to me... Does he use anything else?

Atleast you are aware of what is going on and can try and help them both. I've heard of people going to rehab places for pot before. So yeah some people have issues with it. I gave it up pretty easy, I havent touched it this year, have said no a few times.

I hope they go alright.

Yeah it really dose sound like your first mate was going through benzo (possibly even alcohol) or opiate withdrawal. I have friends who are heavy users of weed, and would be counted as addicted, and never has anyone complained of symptoms like these. it seems more like it is an addiction to something alot stronger

Thats really odd, I quit a 2-3 gram / day habit with buds and on day 5 today! The only withdrawal symptoms I had were wild and vivid dreams at night, hot/cold sweats whilst sleeping, agitation and very very mild depression. I feel 110% now. I can say to this day I am drug free!! Havnt used any stimulants, psychedelics, depressants, pain killers or anything for a while! Was time to turn my life around. Will be studying as well as working at my full time job then will have a huge career change once completing my studies, my mind isnt cloudy anymore, I dont feel lazy and I feel motivated. I feel like a new person. I feel like a million dollars:)

Gone through severe opiate, MDMA, Ice and also benzo addiction in the past during 9 years of abuse. Man a cannabis addiction is a fukn walk in the park compared to the others. If u need any tips or information on how I did all this then feel free to PM me or even if you would like to just chat with someone. Its funny that u mentioned Sales position as Im in sales too and gave up everything. Ill still be around the forums. I hope that everyone who wants to give up can do so and be free from this evil shit that takes ahold of you. So angry at myself and the misery I have caused for my friends and family and everyone around me, but that has changed now! Hope you and your mates will get through this, its all about will power.

I smoked weed for 6yrs and the only trouble i had quitting was insomnia/sweats/irritation, but my doctor asked me was i serious about quitting and put me on 60mg oxazepam for a week (I'd take 30mg around 3pm when id start to get irritable and 30mg before bed).It was eating up all of my money and wasnt helping my anxiety any.

Never seen, heard or even read about marijuana withdrawls that bad ever. Sounds like opiates to me, but who knows. The other thing I was thinking, does your friend smoke with a lot of tobacco, as that might explain such heavy withdrawls if he really hits it overboard.

As for the other guy, I saw a guy go nuts on weed in College, it's very very rare as far as I know. He would always smoke with us, and never seemed to enjoy it. He also was smoking a lot with his older brother at home.
He ended up in the mental hospital thinking facebook was fuckbook and that everything was somehow terrifyingly related to sex. Sometimes you just get unlucky, and sometimes they're just crazy before they smoke weed and barely hanging on as it is.

At least this is all IME.

i think there is more to your mate's symptoms than he is letting on.
you can become psychologically addicted to cannabis, but the physical withdrawals you experience upon ceasing are minimal.
i'm not going to downplay cannabis dependence - or even that there are potential harms associated with weed for certain individuals - but i do not believe that someone will "get physically sick if he goes longer than 6 hours without a cone".
agree that there might be a benzo or opiate addiction he is not telling you about, if indeed this story is true.

edit- this thread (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/603995-Physical-dependence-on-cannabis) seems to have a bit of lively debate on the issue - but i still think that the symptoms you're describing sound a bit off.
i think that even the most weed-addicted person in the world could last 12 hours without puking and being unable to walk if denied a cone.
maybe feel a bit irritable, maybe unable to sleep, maybe even nauseous - but i think that even if they are experiencing such extreme effects, time before the "acute withdrawal" kicks in would be longer than 6 hours, because i believe cannabis has a pretty long half-life...not that the symptoms sound typical at all.

Last edited:
6 hours sounds like opiates to me, believe me, I fucking know :|

Not sure about benzos, alprazolam or xanax has a half life of 11 hours or so, I'd rule that out.

I've seen some pretty severe reactions with cannabis withdrawal...can't say for certain if that was the only thing that was happening with your mate though.

A friend in year 12 used to get horrible stomach aches, vomiting if he went about 6-odd hours without a cone. He'd often take off for a session during school (which isn't unheard of :) ) I actually suspect he had some underlying problem, and the weed was treating that problem and making him feel ok. Without the pot the underlying problem surfaced and he'd get the stomach aches/vomiting, would also rely on pot to make him feel like eating also.

The mental aspect of cannabis addiction and withdrawal for some people is not something I'd call mild...the anger, rage, mood swings, paranoia, despair...it isn't pretty to see, especially when you're someone who doesn't smoke cones. Seemed to be pretty common in some circles, especially certain working class families I used to be acquainted with, where the whole family smokes huge numbers of cones regularly...the things they would do for a cone when they were hanging out almost seemed like opiate addiction at times. They would have been diagnosable with all sorts of stuff though, and I guess were self-medicating in a way...they definitely had been through some hard times and seen things that most of us are lucky enough not to. Probably social reinforcement that cones were very important since the whole family were addicted also didn't help.

Most of the cannabis withdrawal I see is just grumpiness/irritability and a strong craving for cones :) lack of sleep, not feeling hungry...some mild anxiety. Unpleasant but not as bad as a common cold for example, if they can get their minds off it and stay occupied I see probably 90% of symptoms disappear...

The vivid dreams are pretty funny. After not remembering dreams for many years my mate found it terrifying when he started getting them again after quitting, he would explain in crazy detail to me the most messed up dreams I've ever heard of. When I was quitting my heavy cannabis use one of the main benefits was dreaming/remembering my dreams again.

Last edited:
The mental aspect of cannabis addiction and withdrawal for some people is not something I'd call mild...the anger, rage, mood swings, paranoia, despair...it isn't pretty to see, especially when you're someone who doesn't smoke cones. Seemed to be pretty common in some circles, especially certain working class families I used to be acquainted with, where the whole family smokes huge numbers of cones regularly...the things they would do for a cone when they were hanging out almost seemed like opiate addiction at times. They would have been diagnosable with all sorts of stuff though, and I guess were self-medicating in a way...they definitely had been through some hard times and seen things that most of us are lucky enough not to. Probably social reinforcement that cones were very important since the whole family were addicted also didn't help.

Most of the cannabis withdrawal I see is just grumpiness/irritability and a strong craving for cones :) lack of sleep, not feeling hungry...some anxiety. Unpleasant but not as bad as a common cold for example, if they can get their minds off it and stay occupied I see probably 90% of symptoms disappear...
yeah, well put

opi8 said:
6 hours sounds like opiates to me, believe me, I fucking know
i thought the same thing...