• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The DEA will decide whether to change course on marijuana by July

avcpl

Bluelighter
In a lengthy memo to lawmakers, the Drug Enforcement Administration said it hopes to decide whether to change the federal status of marijuana "in the first half of 2016."

Marijuana is currently listed under the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule 1 drug, meaning that for the purposes of federal law, the drug has "no medical use and a high potential for abuse" and is one of "the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence." Marijuana shares Schedule 1 status with heroin, and it is more strictly regulated than the powerful prescription painkillers that have killed more than 165,000 people since 1999.

First set in 1970, marijuana's classification under the Controlled Substances Act has become increasingly out of step with scientific research, public opinion, medical use and state law. Citing marijuana's potentially significant therapeutic potential for a number of serious ailments, including chronic pain and epilepsy, organizations such as the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have called on the DEA to change the drug's scheduling status.

But the DEA has rebuffed numerous previous attempts at rescheduling, sometimes after decades of stonewalling, and in at least one case overrode the recommendation of its own administrative judge. The current petition before the DEA was initiated by then-governors Christine Gregoire of Washington and Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island in 2011. In a previous letter to lawmakers, the DEA indicated it had all the information it needed to make the decision as of last September.

The current memo, written in conjunction with the heads of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Office of National Drug Control Policy, also provides a detailed look at how the federal government provides marijuana to researchers. Currently, the government grants a monopoly on marijuana production for research purposes to one program at the University of Mississippi. "Because of this monopoly, research-grade drugs that meet researchers’ specifications often take years to acquire, if they are produced at all," a Brookings Institution report argued last year.

According to the memo, in the years between 2010 and 2015, the government provided marijuana for research purposes to an average of nine researchers per year. Given the rapidly changing marijuana policy landscape, experts say that level of support is nowhere near enough to keep up with research demand.

"That number is totally insufficient to meet public health needs and to answer the number of [research] questions that pop up yearly," the Brookings Institution's John Hudak said in an interview.

Hudak said the small number of researchers working with marijuana in any given year is less a function of the government turning down applications, and more a function of an onerous, convoluted application process -- one that requires approval from multiple government agencies and deters academics from even pursuing this type of research. "People just aren't applying because of all the headaches involved," he said. "It's a huge disincentive for the academic community."

The bureaucratic hurdles also mean that colleges and universities are often hesitant to fund marijuana research for fear of running afoul of complex federal regulations. One ongoing study on the use of marijuana to treat veterans with PTSD has been struggling to get off the ground for more than five years, for instance.

Meanwhile, researchers say, families desperate for relief for loved ones' ailments are taking matters into their own hands, moving across state lines and turning to social media to answer complicated questions about marijuana dosing and treatment -- questions to which researchers themselves don't have the answers.

Still, Hudak credits the DEA, HHS and ONDCP for the thoroughness of their response to lawmakers' questions in this instance. In addition to detailed information about the quantity and type of marijuana the federal government makes available to researchers, the memo outlines the steps the government is taking to improve coordination among federal agencies on data quality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hether-to-change-course-on-marijuana-by-july/

I had a feeling 2016 would be the year. CII here we come, heres to a new beginning and a true use of marijuana in a medical field. Bring on the hardcore scientists locked away from it due to policy issues and a new life for those who need it. This shit saved my 63 year old uncle from oxys and a real suicidal look on life. He use to come over and say things like "when my (son) is 18, i dont think ill have a reason to live" and "i sometimes think about just taking too many and seeing if that stops the pain" now all he does is smoke weed and talk about weed hes active again. I support medical marijuana fully because my uncle is a different person now because of weed, no longer does he talk of suicide during Christmas dinner.

the DEA will never willingly admit on it's own that marijuana is a relatively harmless drug that isnt in the same category as other Class 1 substances.

That would take away a large percentage of their income.

How many people do you know would walk into a courtroom with reasonable doubt on their side (marijuana is smuggled in by cartels and is a gateway drug. thats true enough IMO) and say

"I want a pay DECREASE!"

never happen, there needs to be people over the DEA's head to make changes on drug laws. the incentive to keep the status quo is simply too large for the DEA

There is a chance we will be surprised. I use to feel the same way but with the rapid changes we are seeing there is a strong chance that the national idea of what it can open might force the changes. We have so many documentaries and shows showing dying children being saved crippled families crying saying they owe their existence to a substance derived from weed that doesnt get them high. Its different now so then ever.

^Politics is politics bro until the people demand it it probably won't happen. So basically it probably won't happen.

^ The people already have. Polls consistently show a majority of Americans favoring legalization. You raise an interesting point, though: marijuana as a political issue is about to be a huge test of just how democratic the USA truly is. If the DEA remains relentless in preying upon people who have anything to do with marijuana for years to come, especially as legalization supporters become the overwhelming majority, then I think we can soundly conclude that the nation's power elite have given up even pretending to care about the masses and what they think.

I think the only reason the common people are not already up in arms over the federal government's unabashed disregard for the will of the people on this issue, is that taking up a drug-related cause is risky to one's personal and professional reputation.

They could have just as easily not said anything. The fact they say they will make a decision in July should he seen as a good thing. I think it's a chance can't say either way but it's the most likely it's been ever.

I hope that my hunch last summer regarding 2016 being an important one for war on (certain) drugs reform holds true.

That being said, the fact that changing a law regarding a freakin' plant is up to the same piece of SHIT administration whose former head honcho made it clear to the public that they can't tell (or have the decency to acknowledge) the difference between Cannabis Sativa and Diacetylmorphine (Heroin) with respect to acute and/or long term health risks is a goddamn disgrace!

The DEA has got to go. These motherfuckers need to fade into obscurity, the sooner the better; because it is precisely these selfish predators who have consistently been at the helm of a war that began because of a crooked president's passionate dislike for Hippies and African-Americans. And what good has come out of it? Nothing. What tangible progress has been made? None. And how much money has been utterly wasted? Oh about ~$1,500,000,000,000 USD.

All the abuse of Asset Forfeiture, Stop 'n Frisk, Three Strikes and Mandatory Minimums (as well as various bait 'n switches); all the needless and avoidable suffering spanning several generations; all the death and destruction the world over - all of it, directly caused by something that should never have been. If there is a hell, I would imagine there's an especially agonizing area where Richard Milhous Nixon, Henry Kissinger and Harry Anslinger shall spend eternity roasting away.

They could have just as easily not said anything. The fact they say they will make a decision in July should he seen as a good thing. I think it's a chance can't say either way but it's the most likely it's been ever.

Hopefully.

^ The people already have. Polls consistently show a majority of Americans favoring legalization. You raise an interesting point, though: marijuana as a political issue is about to be a huge test of just how democratic the USA truly is.

Just because a majority supports something doesn't make it a law it has to go through due process. Ultimately the US is legalizing marijuana and that proves that with enough work any positive change like this can happen even here.

I had a feeling 2016 would be the year. CII here we come, heres to a new beginning and a true use of marijuana in a medical field. Bring on the hardcore scientists locked away from it due to policy issues and a new life for those who need it. This shit saved my 63 year old uncle from oxys and a real suicidal look on life. He use to come over and say things like "when my (son) is 18, i dont think ill have a reason to live" and "i sometimes think about just taking too many and seeing if that stops the pain" now all he does is smoke weed and talk about weed hes active again. I support medical marijuana fully because my uncle is a different person now because of weed, no longer does he talk of suicide during Christmas dinner.

I am all for marijuana reform! Here is an anecdote:

Growing up my parents were abusive. They were working constantly, they made sure we were just as miserable as them. It is amazing to see them now that I am older and they both smoke pot. They are almost softer in the way they approach things. They tend to think more about their actions. My son and my sister's kids are growing up with kinder, gentler grandparents. It is amazing that a plant did what therapy sessions, me leaving at sixteen, and many many fights could not do. I truly believe that smoking pot together made their marriage better. I believe it also opened their eyes to the effects that their style of parenting had on us kids. Even though I do not smoke it has brought us closer together.

ro4eva
The DEA has got to go. These motherfuckers need to fade into obscurity, the sooner the better; because it is precisely these selfish predators who have consistently been at the helm of a war that began because of a crooked president's passionate dislike for Hippies and African-Americans. And what good has come out of it? Nothing. What tangible progress has been made? None. And how much money has been utterly wasted? Oh about ~$1,500,000,000,000 USD.

This is true. They are an organization that preys on the people of every country.

As soon as it becomes legal in my state for medicinal use I'm going to get my card asap (migraines for 20+yrs)

It would also be cool to get into the business. Tending plants, trimming flowers, hanging them to cure ect. Make bubble hash w the trim.

The cannabis plant really does provide many benefits, male and female.