• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Angry The connection between poverty and drug use.

SneakyCosmos

Ex-Bluelighter
Now ill start off first by saying NO i have nothing against people who get high to forget about there financial situation, on the contraryi feel for them. It just makes me mad how these people below the poverty get such a bad rep for drug use but when say a celebrety does it its portrayed as glamerous in our society today. It makes zero sense and is hypocritical. Ok rant over.

Yeah its fucked up. In my eyes its like coke and crack. Celebs will snort coke and look down on those who smoke crack but its the SAME thing!
When charlie sheen was smoking crack (god bless him for platoon) it was COOL!

The thing is that the more wealthy do drugs just as much (or more) than those in poverty - and probably have less accidental ODs. I think drugs are interwoven into our societies in a way that if they (the drugs) were taken out of the cloth it would not hold together.
But a sustained life of drug abuse can get quite expensive and this can lead to many side effects both local and global.
I have seen the mighty brought down by drugs and have witnessed the crushed give hope to the hopeless.

Now ill start off first by saying NO i have nothing against people who get high to forget about there financial situation, on the contraryi feel for them. It just makes me mad how these people below the poverty get such a bad rep for drug use but when say a celebrety does it its portrayed as glamerous in our society today. It makes zero sense and is hypocritical. Ok rant over.

What doesn't make sense is I think rich people have more problems. Look at are presidents son as a example. I don't think most poor people do drugs, there poor you kidding me? Maybe grass but poor people aren't paying for coke. Maybe they drink.. if anything you should need mad poor people tend to use crack.. think about it how can you buy drugs with no money? Mr. Hunter Biden must done a lot crack in his time. Unless your talking about middle class? Because my family's middle class and everyone's has a drug problems in my family in one way or another. Drugs are cheaper then going out to eat, or they movies.. It can become a real problem. In fact I spend more on weed then I did on meth.. but whatever. Drugs are illegal and I'll stay ca sober until three day I die

I wish meth was covered by insurance.

Ok I'd rather have weed covered because it's expensive.. But anyways

If you're rich you can go to rehab anytime and you also have more money for drugs. If you're poor you might be more likely to get in to crime or dealing to fund your habit or get stuff "tic" because the dealer's know they will get their money even if it leaves you with no gas, electricity and food ime. I guess you find the money from somewhere, it's sad to see, in neglected areas, especially families with kids cause then it becomes a generational thing.
Just generalisations though.

Last edited:
If you're rich you can go to rehab anytime and you also have more money for drugs. If you're poor you might be more likely to get in to crime or dealing to fund your habit or get stuff "tic" because the dealer's know they will get their money even if it leaves you with no gas, electricity and food ime. I guess you find the money from somewhere, it's sad to see, in neglected areas, especially families with kids cause then it becomes a generational thing.
Just generalisations though.
Hell fucking yeah thats what happens!!!! When i realized i was ACTUALLY addicted to fent i went and got another job JUST to afford the dope
Hahaha it was crazy, i have friends with rich parents. I would be leaving my 2nd job going to get the dope while reading text messages from my best friend saying shit like "yooo i just took 2gs out my dads closet""

Don't even wanna think how many thousands I would have if I never got into drugs now my checking account is at zero again today before the weekend is over

It crosses boundaries but for sure, there is always a bias against the weakest-link, when it comes to blame. Sweet awareness, S - never let it go (albeit, the ugly truth) 😉

As far as I have witnessed, poverty has nothing to do with drug use. Never hit it harder then with the most affluent.
With respect to you, lovely, NSA. I wouldn't say 'nothing' - class contexts and contexts with drug use, are always, omitted as the umbrella- terms, are always a scapegoat for lack of political/financial interaction (therefore finance in research gets lost in these areas,as far as I can see) - e.g. 'drugs'/'mental health'/ illness- no nuance, too costly; therefore neglected, in our current, economy.

😕

With respect to you, lovely, NSA. I wouldn't say 'nothing' - class contexts and contexts with drug use, are always, omitted as the umbrella- terms, are always a scapegoat for lack of political/financial interaction (therefore finance in research gets lost in these areas,as far as I can see) - e.g. 'drugs'/'mental health'/ illness- no nuance, too costly; therefore neglected, in our current, economy.

😕
Hey A😄.. But that’s more of the reaction to the drug use of a social class and not use by that class?

I personally witnessed my lower to lower middle class neighborhood ravaged by the later stages of the opioid epidemic. I don't think it has too much to do with social class who gets addicted, or the rate of addiction. I know that lower social classes are exposed to more acute trauma, therefore the connection is made between poverty and addiction when in fact it's just out in the open, acute, and easy to statistically tally largely for the lower classes.

In my personal group of friends we have had murders, overdoses, fatality car accidents etc., that often the upper social classes wouldn't be around. I feel they have more chronic, abusive, and pervasive trauma that provides I think a lot of cognitive dissonance to someone who maybe has had every bad feeling, every want and need provided for them and removed. Then all of a sudden, this one bad feeling related to the traumatic experience can't be removed by anything. The rates of reporting are much lower, as well, I believe. Pure inference but I think a reasonable one. Old money families don't want their dirty laundry aired and have the money to do whatever behind closed doors.

Essentially I think addiction hits on every level, facet and nook/crannie of any society. Irregardless of race, social class, or social status. If you like getting fucked up, you may have a bad time.

Hey chicken😸

...sorry am slightly, deaf, what?

- slightly, confused! 😉 Do you mean drug class/societal class.

Essentially I think addiction hits on every level, facet and nook/crannie of any society. Irregardless of race, social class, or social status. If you like getting fucked up, you may have a bad time.
Of course, you are completely right. However, when it comes to insurance/treatment etc. That is a whole separate issue- in my neck of the woods anyway.

Of course, you are completely right. However, when it comes to insurance/treatment etc. That is a whole separate issue- in my neck of the woods anyway.

Absolutely. Access to treatment is another discussion entirely. Rates of incarceration, homelessness, and other acute effects of addiction are far higher in lower income populations. I've seen the tragedy of someone who wants to get well but simply can't due to lack of resources, I've lost more friends than I'd like to admit due to this exact situation. Often it is also an issue of perception. When your whole life you've been denied the basic necessities, you assume that help isn't going to be there and therefore don't seek it. It's a whole world of shit.

In this sense, the rich, wealthy, upper middle class etc. is far more fortunate, and has a higher rate of survivability that, while I don't fault them for -- does brew a tiny bit of resentment in my belly.

Everyone's is in the pit, with addiction; objective is not to put one class against another (no Marx!lol).

Yes, the issues are non-issues,politically are eradicated through apathy in social media - they are ignored. There is no political will or it impetus, to address the issue, peacemeal, not to mention the discrepancy regarding financial inequality re. treatment.

The system is not being challenged. Our environment is NOTHING without people- climate change is nothing without human health & well being.