The calm and mature Lounge standards discussion thread ( not a "post pics" thread)

ego_loss said:

I trust the mods here with their task. It's not up to them to arbitrarily enforce some snap judgement. They all seem to know the difference between preference and policy... most of the time.

Policies are just an excuse for people who are incapable of independent thought and need to have their hand held while they take a piss in the staff forum. Fuck you and your conformist conformitizing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to drink a refreshing 19.8 oz bottle of Sprite while I put this Trojan condom on my forefinger and shove it down my girlfriend's throat because she's not as skinny as that woman on tv, you know the one with the really large breasts?

Obey your thirst!

Finder said:
Who do you think you are, noob?

I've been flamed!

/cries/

@ego_loss: fair point - I don't think I'm encouraging memberating, though

And as long as we're talking about threads getting moved to the correct forum, that's all good - leaving 'em open so everyone can flame the idiot, not so good.

@bowdenta: I've been here for years longer than you. Don't tell me what we've "always" done. F**king noob. ;)

^^
You know those sprite ads are tied to the television show Lost? I'm serious. Look up sublymonal at www.lostpedia.com and you'll see.

And I didn't get my avatar from Sprite... by the way.

Sim0n said:
I've been here for years longer than you. Don't tell me what we've "always" done. F**king noob. ;)

like one year? you know the current policy:\

Simon's been around since the MDMA Clearinghouse days.

That guy was here when the place was called Bluecandle.

And I was just joking Steve.

Lost is really tied in to Sprite.

I don't know how or why...

... but I do know that unicorns are kickass.

wait... benefit just dropped his act to point out that he was just joking!?

/frontal lobe falls out of head...

popcorn.gif

Benefit said:
Simon's been around since the MDMA Clearinghouse days.

That guy was here when the place was called Bluecandle.

I know more than smidge of BL history, we've evolved. even the first years at .nu were formitive for "social". Should we give adopting impressionable greenlighters another chance? I mean I'm just having fun when i come here. I dont mind anyone wanting to help a n00b for some sort of greater social good

wait... benefit just dropped his act to point out that he was just joking!?

/frontal lobe falls out of head...

Actually I just wanted you to know that I know your Christian name and I'm not afraid to use it.

Also, while we're on the subject, I know what your penis looks like.

Now I'm not really sure how to end this reply.

I'm not gay.

fyi.

bowdenta said:
like one year? you know the current policy:\

May 2000, and lurked before then.

Y'know I'm just talking shit at you, obviously...:D and none of what I say is something I'd die in the ditch to defend, ultimately it's just an internet board...

Sim0n said:
, ultimately it's just an internet board...

NO IT'S NOT YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

Aaeeeeeeeeiyooooooo!

Bluelight saves me from myself.

It gives me a reacharound when I'm feeling down.

It looks out for me at the bar so I don't drink urine.

It doesn't let me go home with the fat chick.

Choose Bluelight.

Sim0n said:
Y'know I'm just talking shit at you, obviously...:D and none of what I say is something I'd die in the ditch to defend, ultimately it's just an internet board...

yeah, course bro

i was actually just thinking if I'll be posting in 2030 and how tolerant i could be of 16 yr old kids cloggin the lounge up with shitty threads. How many active members could one message board litterally tolerate

edit: benefit's right, we are a loving family. and by loving, I'm implying incest

aww i never got flamed when i was a noob... then again i stayed far away from the lounge for the first couple of years or so...

oh wow, this is my 1000th post! awesome.

ego_loss said:
blah blah blah blah, more useless crap, etc... now please shut up? Pretty please?

hmmm let me think about it....NO! :D
Sim0n said:
Well hang on, the rules of the roast thread said that anything could be brought into the roast - LJ stuff, Dark Side stuff, offline stuff, anything. So if the roastee is offended, that's maybe something they should take up with the roaster - but they did sign up for it. Or am I missing something here? In general, I don't think these sorts of things should ever be brought into the Lounge and used to attack someone. As one of the founding mods of the Dark Side, the idea of someone taking what was said there, and posting it here for fun and to attack someone, pisses me off.

Technically, you are right. Anything said in public can be used against the roastee etc etc, including stuff said in public in lj. I agree with you. Public posts= fair game. Private entries are beyond the eyes of potential roastees anyway.

Last edited:
the lounge is largely good for nothing. it never has served any purpose apart from letting people let off steam.

what does it contribute to bluelight? to life? well, occasionally - just occasionally - an absolute diamond post, thread or theme develops from the lounge, the ms paint one being a recent example.

but the rest of the time it's basically shit, and i deploy the profane intentionally. i mean who gives a flying fuck what colour you pooped today? no-one, that's who. and when it was bluelight social there were plenty of taco threads but not many threads about what colour your shit is, or how many abortions you could eat.

there are different types of posters in the lounge. some people come to bluelight and the lounge is their landing place. they go overboard and post themselves to death before deciding in one thread or another that it's all bullshit and they want nothing further to do with it, disappearing in a huff to post occasionally in Film & Television or the regional forums. and there are the been-round-the-block-and-back die hards who've seen it all and stick around for the sake of it. the lounge is not really a place to cultivate friendships - that tends to happen in the regional and events forums. it's a collective steam room to relax in, and sometimes the choice of fuel is less than edifying... but then that's what the internets is all about, to an extent. and for that reason i support the existence of the 'post a disgusting pic' threads, etc., even if i personally don't like them.

i say to an extent because there are some things which aren't funny and which have nothing to do with freedom of expression. people seem to forget that this is not a democratic institution and that every forum has guidelines. people can also seem remarkably forgetful in respect of the bluelight journal feature. it's there for a reason, largely because no-one else gives a fuck :)

and that's something else to remember. the lounge suffers from a surfeit of self-importance. you do realise that the vast majority of bluelighters have no interest whatsoever in the lounge, yeah?

the fact remains that the lounge has to be a tough forum to moderate. it's obviously a different beast to TDS or whatever, and requires a different approach - but i wouldn't envy lounge mods for a second, and in the past i've turned down the job on that basis. and for what it's worth, and as a 3-year veteran of TDS mod team, i too found the roast thread entirely unappealing and fucking wrong.

on that particular subject, and on a range of others, i find myself in agreement with Dtergent:

Though I don't really expect anything from the Lounge, some people can be overly callous be over the internet. Basic human decency is actually a good thing. Before you get personal, try to see if you will be hurting the person! It doesn't really matter if "you can take it" if someone says the same thing to you. But this has more to do with people than the Lounge, I think.

yes, we're all free to say what we want. isn't it great? now, once the preliminary experimental thrill has worn off and your cock has shrivelled once more, take a moment to reflect on whether you'd say these things in public.

you wouldn't? well, why is that i wonder? i mean, tangibly speaking, you're just as free to indulge yourself. but something stops you... i wonder; what could it be? do you think that response tells you something about yourself? do you think it tells you something about how your particular ethical code governs your interactions with other people?

freedom of expression is well and good. but it's hardly a catch-all carte blanche... just because something is allowed doesn't mean it must be taken to its (il)logical extension.

and as it happens, freedom of expression doesn't actually exist here. this is not a boundary-free haven for the exposition of alternative viewpoints. i mean, you all read and agreed to the bluelight user agreement when you joined, yeah? what, you think this is some autonomous super-constitutional playground?

no-one would welcome my right to express myself if i posted numerous threads about jacking off to holocaust footage. why is that? well, apart from the existence of specific rules which everyone agreed to, it's also because we do draw lines in the proverbial sand - in life, and online. and if you can't handle that, well, you can go and fuck yourself :) either that or join a truly unmoderated forum.

whatever - it's still 98% white noise, and 2% sheer genius. you does your best with what you gets.