Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

the book is always better than the movie...

in general, i prefer books because i can create the characters and imagine myself in their places. its far harder to identify with characters in movies because everything is created for you.

well it seems (at least here, i'll have to check out that other thread now, alasdair!) that i'm the minority.

when i read a book, sometimes i'll stop paying attention, but keep reading. so three pages down the line when i stop myself to ask "when did i quit paying attention to what i was reading?" it fucks up my entire flow and i have to go back searching for the spot where i lost it. or sometimes i'll run across one single sentence that, for some reason, just doesn't register (even though i perfectly understand every word) and i'll read that one line 5 or 6 times until it sinks in. and often when i get towards the end of a book (no matter how good i think it is) i'll just quit reading it with about a chapter or 2 left. i was reading a book called "the minds of billy milligan" which i was enjoying quite a bit until i stopped reading it just before the end. i've never gone back to it for fear that i would have to reread the entire thing just to tie the end together.

point being... a book, for me, isn't something i just sit down and read from beginning to end. it's something that takes at least some level of devotion. a movie, however, i can watch and even if i'm not that interested, i can finish it and make an analysis afterward.

if i find out LONG LONG in advance that a movie is going to be adapted into a movie, then i'll be tempted to read it to see if it really is better than the movie, by the time the movie comes out, but i'm not into reading enough to ever know what books might be movies. i just suck. :(

for me, the book is (almost) always better than the movie because i'm directing...

:)

alasdair

This is the same for me. I really enjoy reading. I can use my own imagination to fill in the little details about characters/places etc. Sometimes the visualisation of the book into a movie leaves me feeling quite disappointed... but then, I'm not going to go out and make a movie, so I can just sit back and cope with what people are giving us ;)

The problem is as you stated ryan, in a movie, they have to fit it all into a certain time frame, and often they leave out critically important parts, or change things to make it all fit together within that time, and it can really ruin the story, or even the whole concept of the book.

While I do like to see how people adapt the themes in a book into a 2 hour movie, sometimes I just wish that they'd do it a hell of a lot better.

CB :)

*bump*

somewhere in a related thread, someone said the notebook and i would have to agree. i actually found the movie to be touching, but the book i could barely get thru a few pages.

That might have been me. I think Nicholas Sparks' writing is absolutely terrible. A judgment I'm willing to throw out there after only reading about 20 pages of The Notebook. It was the only thing I had to read on a long plane ride. I enjoyed looking out the window for 3 hours much more than the 10 or so minutes I spent reading that piece of crap. =D

Another movie that I think is better than the book is True Grit. One very worthy for consideration as well is Ordinary People.

a big part of my enjoying movies of books i have read is to see who the film makers cast in the book's characters.

there are some movies where the casting is so perfect and some where, for me, it's just so off. for example, i think the cast members in the harry potter movies are, almost without exception, perfectly cast.

alasdair

That might have been me. I think Nicholas Sparks' writing is absolutely terrible. A judgment I'm willing to throw out there after only reading about 20 pages of The Notebook. It was the only thing I had to read on a long plane ride. I enjoyed looking out the window for 3 hours much more than the 10 or so minutes I spent reading that piece of crap. =D

[/i].

My god I totally agree. My sister gave me her copy of Nicholas Spark's Notebook and I only read the first chapter , but I got so bored and restless I threw it away somewhere in my room to be forgotten. Thanks for reminding me to give it away to someone.

i dont think ive read any books that have been made into movies besides john grisham ones, and everytime i have i liked the book a lot more than the movies. i didnt dislike the films, just enjoy the books more. i think its because when im reading, i can picture it any way i like and i dont picture tom cruise as the lawyer in The Firm.

The only book i can compare to a movie in terms of being in sync was altered states. Anyone agree?

It's probably already been mentioned, but The Shawshank Redemption is better than Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, from Stephen King's Different Seasons novella. It helped immensely that the movie had the perfect cast and the perfect director.

Silence of the Lambs was very true to the book, and I think a tad bit better.

Adaptation is so much better than the Orchard Thief. But maybe that's not a fair one.

The Namesake movie is way better than the book, because its only 2 hours of pure suck versus a whole book of it.

The movie the shinning kicks ass on the book. So does the shawshank redemption.

Those are the only 2 i can think of.

Read an interview with Salman Rushdie recently where he said the films of Lord of the Rings were better than the books...hmmm.

Read an interview with Salman Rushdie recently where he said the films of Lord of the Rings were better than the books...hmmm.

His critiques have been waning on me lately... :\

P_G: Thank you for letting me know the Orchard Thief sucks. I put it on my proverbial list after I saw Adaptation (one of my favorite movies). I'll probably take it off now.

I think Martin Scorcese's The Age of Innocence is at par, or even better, than the book. Hmm....I'd watch that movie over and over again. The book, I dont think I'd like to read it again for a very long time. ;)