• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health The Big & Dandy Psychedelics & Mental Illness Thread

in my opinion everyone is mad, and it's a mad mad world
children dieing in one part of the world from starvation, whilst in another people are dieing from obesity
meanwhile an astonishing amount of countries have access to nuclear weapons

catch my drift?

yeah and once we are 80 we will most likely be drooling and delusional worse than any acid trip lol we are all going mad slowly. its the way of the world.

Yeah man we're all just gettin worse slowly, brains just deteriorating away. But we got a little bit of time to have fun with our brains before theyre completely zonked.

Simply put, psychedelics bring out whats already there. It can be good, it can be bad. It most cases, too much is often bad. Not necessarily "bringing out" anything thats already there, but your brain can just get twisted from too much tripping, the more and more trips you take that are too close together, the harder it is to come back to reality.

I dont think people should go around preaching how harmless "psychedelics" are, because they certainly are not. They are very powerful and useful tools, when used as such. As they are very powerful weapons to oneself, when used as such. It's all about being careful.

And yeah I mean to some extent you can "control" your mood, and how you feel. But I don't think you can cancel out your mood or personality disorder just by thinking about it. Mental illness is a tough thing to fuck with ya know

Yeah man we're all just gettin worse slowly, brains just deteriorating away. But we got a little bit of time to have fun with our brains before theyre completely zonked.

Simply put, psychedelics bring out whats already there. It can be good, it can be bad. It most cases, too much is often bad. Not necessarily "bringing out" anything thats already there, but your brain can just get twisted from too much tripping, the more and more trips you take that are too close together, the harder it is to come back to reality.

I dont think people should go around preaching how harmless "psychedelics" are, because they certainly are not. They are very powerful and useful tools, when used as such. As they are very powerful weapons to oneself, when used as such. It's all about being careful.

And yeah I mean to some extent you can "control" your mood, and how you feel. But I don't think you can cancel out your mood or personality disorder just by thinking about it. Mental illness is a tough thing to fuck with ya know

Yes, having a mother with severe bi polar has taught me a lot about mental illness, and the brain in general. Its impossible to fight it. Just as it is impossible to fight a trip so to say. My sister has all the visuals of an acid trip without ever doing drugs. She was just born without the filters. Shes not schitzo or anything, just has full blown visuals, and always has.

I have a history in my family. My mother is the worst kind of bipolar and I have seen her go completely off the deep end. I myself have fucked around with psychedelics and empathogens and never once felt that I was bringing genetic disposed conditions "to the surface". My friend who did a bunch of acid got told by a psychiatrist afterwards that he has tourrettes and schizophrenia or at least schizoid personality. He used this as license to be even more of a fucking douche bag, I could see it in his personality.

Most if not ALL mental illness is a series of symptoms related to poor stress management and being a HYPOCHONDRIAC. In my humble opinion. Also teh best "mental illness" is hypomania. Love it.

"Most if not ALL mental illness is a series of symptoms related to poor stress management and being a HYPOCHONDRIAC."

But you are talking about stress, not mental illness. You are getting the two confused. Stress and worrying can and will lead to just about any physical or mental manifestation if someone lets it progress. Most people go through this at some point, but soon realize that they are doing it to themselves.

Mental illness is real. There are a wide variety of mental illnesses and many overlap and intertwine in varying degrees of intensity for every individual. Do you really think someone who is schizophrenic unraveled into this state because they did it to themselves? Or an acute psychotic episode which arises out of no where, what about that? Bottom line, these things just happen, psyches or not.

I keep hearing "I have a family history of mental illness, and Ive never felt any condition being brought to the surface. That means its impossible and every person who has ever dealt with this is full of shit."

I understand this is your opinion and you are entitled to it of course.

I think that for people who legitimately suffer from these serious conditions, it is extremely unfair and ignorant to label them as simply weak minded or hypochondriac. Who knows what their past experiences were?

Quasi sounds like your typical narcisist. I assume your also a psychologist? Also you have the best mental 'illness'? You idiot. What goes up must come down, except you apparently.

^ While it's clear you're trying to point out that any mental illness has its downsides and shouldn't be seen as the best, and that this might be offensive to people suffering because of it etc.. Please don't be abusive towards other members, if you want to make a point, you can do it without attacking someone. :)

Schizophrenic convinced on taking mushrooms

So mushroom season's coming up, and I'm getting pretty damn excited. I have quite a bit of experience with psychedelics, and last year had one of the most meaningful nights of my life tripping with my mum, brother and sister for Mother's Day.

Anyway we were thinking of doing it again this year, and my mum's best friend who is extremely close to our whole family wants to join in. However I'm a little worried as she has a pretty intense history of schizophrenia and mental illness due to severe physical and sexual abuse as a child. She had her worst episode a few years ago where she was admitted into a psychiatric hospital for some months, and has been on heavy medication since then.

However over the past year, she has made a truly incredible recovery. She is in one of the best states I've ever seen her in the ten years I've known her, and has cut her medication down practically to zero.She has been preparing herself mentally for the past few weeks and believes she is a ready as she can be. She is quite intent on having some with us and I would love for her to experience the beauty that mushrooms have to offer. I believe the best thing I can do for her is be there to support her and make sure everything is prapared so it goes as smoothly as possible for all of us.

Do you guys have any advice to give me? Anything you think I should keep in mind or any tips incase things take a turn for the worse? I have never been around someone having a bad trip on mushies (my brother has some experience here though), what are your best techniqes for smoothing things out when they get rough? We will most likely be picking the mushies ourselves around my mum's house.

Thanks

Just make sure she takes a low dose.

Picking mushrooms yourself is dangerous though. Is one of you a mycologist?

This is tempting fate, I wouldn't even bother.

It would be essential to have a sitter around, and preferably some Valium or something, incase things go south.

Make sure she takes a low dose for sure, especially if she has no history with psychedelics.
There are some people with underlying mental disorders who can still take psychedelics and have no problems, but others may be set off simply by smoking a joint.
It's all depends on that particular person, however on a low dose I would imagine things would be fine.
It definitely isn't the smartest idea but as everyone here either does drugs or has an interest in drugs, we know that if someone has their mind set on trying something, there's little you can do other than provide a safe place for them to do the drug with experienced knowledgeable trippers.

My brother is an experienced picker so we should be fine. I don't think we have any scales among us to weigh the dosages, but since we'll be eating them fresh could anyone suggest what a low dose might look like? The mushrooms around my area would most likely be psilocybe subaeruginosa, so maybe like 2 or 3 small-medium sized mushrooms? It's been a while since my last trip so I can't remember how many I usually have. None of us are planning to sit out of the experience although I have faith that we could straighten ourselves out enough to help her incase anything turns sour. She has smoked pot with me in the past but that's about the extent of her drug experience outside of her meds

Yea a 0.1g scale isn't that expensive, you can usually get em cheaper at hobby stores instead of looking at a headshop

Ok if i can get my hands on a scale what would constitute a low enough dose to be giving her?

^^^ thats dried, so fresh x10. But that is also for Cubensis not Subs, which are quite a bit more potent.
So fresh I would say ~3-5g would be a low dose. Or just give her an even lower dose (1-2g) just incase she is sensitive and let her know that you can always scale the dose up a bit next time.
But I would seriously reconsider giving her any, not unless one of you is extremely experienced with altered states and states of mental crisis. Being around someone in a psychotic episode. Can't be a lot of fun.
Being around someone in a psychotic episode whilst having a head full of psychedelic fungi? I can only imagine.

As for tips if things do go bad. Reminding them that they have taken a drug and whatever they are feeling will eventually pass, I've always found to be the biggest one. Trying to get them to slow their breathing/deep breathes, holding their hand or giving them space as they require, eating something sweet/sour, taking a shower or even a small change of locations are all things I have found to be useful personally.
Stay safe

Also, +1 to the Valium and sober sitter.