• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Phenethylamines vs Tryptamines Thread

Which class of psychedelic chemicals do you prefer?

• Phenethylamines (Such as 2C-X, DOX and NBOMe's)

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Tryptamines

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters
Tryptamines, if only for the fact that they are WAY less toxic (just compare shrooms and lsd to dox and the nbomes).
And they also bring you closer to "GOD" IMO.
I like phens better because they're less anxiety ridden and remind me more of lsd, which is my fav. Outside the NBOMe's and poorly dosed DOx chems, I haven't any worries about toxicity. The scale I use works well for the two phens I do have.

I like tryptamines more simply because as earlier stated they bring me closer to god/universal consciousness/the source. They just feel more natural.

Tryptamines are my fav. Mushrooms, DPT, DMT(which i be only had a threshold dose as of now. But not for long. I know LSD isn't a full tryptamine but its on the same level of the mush & DMT.

Phens are better for having a fun time with other tripping mates(eg 2c-b) or a clearer headed trip.

I prefer Tryptamines for sure but I've got little experience aside from mushrooms and lots of LSD. Done phens heaps though.

false. it becomes very strong aroun 1500mg but its not toxic and for me 500mg is a moderate dose.
The figure I've always gone with for san pedro is 1-1.2g of mescaline per kg of fresh cactus, so according to the above dose, you're looking at 800-1200mg of mescaline. That's not a heavy dose, that's getting into the realms of a toxic dose as unlike a lot of psychedelics, mescaline doesnt have a goo theraputic ratio (effective dose: toxic dose).

The dose Neo 1 took would be (according to above figures) 600-720mg; now thats a fairly whopping dose, so all I can think is that the extraction technique left a lot to be desired if he reconed it a ned (300-400mg mescaline) dose. Either that or it was an unusually low yeilding strain of san pedro

Do we have any specific data on the receptor binding affinity and activity of phenethylamines vs tryptamines?

It's hard to put these things into seperate categories but if I had to mentione one thing, it would be that for me personally,

tryptamines are more ideal for solo trips, learning about the soul ; and
phenethylamines are more ideal for social trips with friends, occasionally discussing the nature of the psyche/rational mind.

At this point in my life I definitely prefer phenethylamines, I like the more lucid/clear headspace, I LOVE the phen body high more than any other drugs...tryptamines are perfect for a sort of mental reset, blasting myself far outta this reality, but on phens I can actually sort out a lot more in the moment. So in a sense they're more useful at this point for me. I've had plenty of really out there, "mind-blowing" trips in the past, the more lucid/clear & "smarter" phen trips are much more what I need most of the time now (which is not to say I'm done with trypts by any means just more into phens for more frequent use, trypts when I really "need" them). I often think that those who dismiss all phens simply aren't terribly introspective naturally, so need the more "forceful" tryptamine headspace to get anything useful from a trip...but I'm naturally very intropsective anyways, so phens get me there just as well & I'm much more able to direct the trip, which is very helpful for me.

Last edited:
Do we have any specific data on the receptor binding affinity and activity of phenethylamines vs tryptamines?
Not sure what you mean? There's tons of binding data to be found in the scientific literature.

In general phenethylamines are more specific for the 5HT2a and 5HT2c receptor, whereas the tryptamines have a more 'dirty' profile and bind to a lot of other serotonin receptors. Ergolines, including LSD, are even worse, with a huge range of receptors they activated, including several serotonin and dopamine receptors, among others.

Over the years, I've come to picture anxiety as the result of being stuck in a sort of waking dream, where my thoughts depart from reality and wander down fantastically negative byways. As a consequence, when trying to evaluate psychedelic drugs, aside from obvious considerations like body load, I tend to think about them in terms of how well they can rouse me from this nightmare.

For the past several rounds of my weekly psychedelic routine, I've been rotating between my personal favorite phenethylamines (2C-B and 2C-E) and indoles (4-HO-MiPT and LSD). Some broad patterns have emerged.

As far as body load and other side effects are considered, the phenethylamines are the clear winners in my mind. I can eat sooner after dosing before causing stomach upset. I find very little vasoconstriction related discomfort, muscular tension, excessive yawning, or other unwanted peripheral effects. However, these are relatively minor quibbles. The more important issue to me is the psychological one, and that's where the comparison becomes a little more complicated.

A modern digital synthesizer can produce the purest tone, a virtually perfect sine wave. But, despite predating synthesizers by hundreds of years, the rough edge of a bow dragging against a violin string causes a highly complex chain reaction of acoustic vibrations throughout the entire physical body of the instrument, emitting a beautifully rich sound that is very difficult to replicate with synthesis.

This is roughly how I sense the divide between the current crop of widely available phenethylamine and indole psychedelics. Indoles, arguably crude as they may be, nonetheless cause a state of mind that feels more varied, nuanced, and organic. Intellectually, at perhaps a greater risk of delusion, they encourage me to connect the dots in a bold and liberal way that has led me to a number of ideas which have influenced the direction of my life. On a more practical level, they seem to allow for better attention to bodily signals like thirst. But most crucially, psychedelic indoles impart a sharper sense of awakening: freedom from the slumber of a wandering mind. It is pleasant to greet the morning with birdsong. But sometimes the crash of a gong may be necessary.

Last edited: