• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

^ There is no better way of future-proofing your supply than growing it

Thanks OP, this does sound interesting. I like the idea of natural CEV / dissociative / dreamy type things.

I would also be interested in reading more about your tincture

Other accounts on Ajo Sacha seem rather different, though maybe the guy took a much higher dose than others. In lower-doses at least it gives a sharpening of the senses (not entirely unlike psychedelics this) and improves courage. Also used as an additive to Ayahausca brews sometimes

Looks like delirium to me. My bet is that the actives are something tropane based, similar to scopolamine or atropine.

Based on what? The vividness of the experience? From all the deleriant experiences I read, the sort of experience doesn't really compare. It's always weird and senseless (thinking you're smoking cigarettes, talking to someone about nothing), or downright dysphoric in most cases (insects crawling out your skin).

MMDA produces vivid visions as well, could be a compound with similar action to that?

Based on what? The vividness of the experience? From all the deleriant experiences I read, the sort of experience doesn't really compare. It's always weird and senseless (thinking you're smoking cigarettes, talking to someone about nothing), or downright dysphoric in most cases (insects crawling out your skin).

MMDA produces vivid visions as well, could be a compound with similar action to that?

It could be anything. My guess, based on the report, is that it may be a deliriant and I've read similar reports with people on Datura.
Perhaps it was the way it was written, but it seemed like delirium. Deliants are not unknown in the Amazon and even Datura is occasionally used on Ayahuasca

It really does sound like delerium (I've been there on more than one occasion)..

Or maybe ibogaine at a stretch.

I bet the set & setting alone of a person participating in shamanistic rituals in the Amazon, some persons fasting, (or especially for another person reporting who took ayahuasca the day before for heaven's sake!) can be enough to induce vivid dreams. The tech report on ajo sacha does not really mention psychoactive effects but who knows, maybe we can call it a putative oneirogen.

I do have respect for healing rituals as a whole, but I do have my doubts about the efficacy of some of the healing ethnobotanicals if you were to use them in a more neutral unbiased set & setting.

Chuchuhuasi does sound interesting, no idea about the mechanism of action.

Either way, I'd like to hear some reports from people just using it at home out of curiosity. Hopefully then we can see what remains of biochemically mediated psychoactive effects.

Last edited:
I bet the set & setting alone of a person participating in shamanistic rituals in the Amazon, some persons fasting, (or especially for another person reporting who took ayahuasca the day before for heaven's sake!) can be enough to induce vivid dreams. The tech report on ajo sacha does not really mention psychoactive effects but who knows, maybe we can call it a putative oneirogen.

I do have respect for healing rituals as a whole, but I do have my doubts about the efficacy of some of the healing ethnobotanicals if you were to use them in a more neutral unbiased set & setting.

I guess the western medicine man's job would be much easier if he could downright lie to those in trouble

"Delerium"? Stop trying to talk about something you have no idea about and do some research on the plant. The active compounds in Ajo Sacha appear to be mainly plant steroids.

http://www.rain-tree.com/mansoa.htm#.UeUdnVNIkS4

Apparently no research has been done on Ajos Sacha as a psychedelic substance or even the mechanisms of action. If only steroids are there it does not seem likely that they have any action on the serotonin receptors, thus they are most likely not psychedelic. Further, as most other steroids they are highly unlikely to even cross the BBB. If not, then the steroids are probably not the active substance in cause and can be anything, either serotonergics (for psychedelics) or muscarine antagonists (for deliriants)

It is pointless to be rude as you too have no idea what you are talking about.

Could be something different altogether, psychedelics are not limited to serotonin (ibogaine, salvia, etc.) and the effects don't seem to resemble classical serotonin binding. Solipsis brings some sense to the thread though, altered states through other means than psychedelics are often forgotten here. Claudio Naranjo's experience with Ayahausca is decidedly different from what Schultes and everyone else on the planet seems to experience, ritual is very powerful indeed

Could be something different altogether, psychedelics are not limited to serotonin (ibogaine, salvia, etc.) and the effects don't seem to resemble classical serotonin binding. Solipsis brings some sense to the thread though, altered states through other means than psychedelics are often forgotten here. Claudio Naranjo's experience with Ayahausca is decidedly different from what Schultes and everyone else on the planet seems to experience, ritual is very powerful indeed

of course it could be something completely different. I'm not stating that it is a deliriant, I'm just considering it a good hypothesis, according to the report. And by the way, Salvia (through salvinoriin A - although a KOR agonist ) is more aptly qualified as a dissociative. Ibogaine also binds quite strongly to the opioids and actually may have also dissociative properties rather than psychedelic. This latter is rather complex pharmacologically, affecting also the "mysterious" sigmas, to which DMT also binds. None of these has any relation to steroids.

Apparently no research has been done on Ajos Sacha as a psychedelic substance or even the mechanisms of action. If only steroids are there it does not seem likely that they have any action on the serotonin receptors, thus they are most likely not psychedelic. Further, as most other steroids they are highly unlikely to even cross the BBB. If not, then the steroids are probably not the active substance in cause and can be anything, either serotonergics (for psychedelics) or muscarine antagonists (for deliriants)

It is pointless to be rude as you too have no idea what you are talking about.

Notice how I put "psychedelics" in quotes. Something does not have to have action at the serotonin receptors to be psychedelic (Salvia, for example), and just because something isn't traditionally psychedelic doesn't mean that its psychoactive effects could not be of interest to this community.

Furthermore, if crossing the BBB was a prerequisite for psychoactivity, a whole shitload of of things we find to alter our state would not exist. Don't forget that steroids are psychoactive to some degree. And at least resist the urge to *classify* something you don't know anything about. All I'm saying is,'look, there are these plants with novel, interesting effects to be explored." It'd be great to not have that met with such swift pigeonholing and invalidation.

of course it could be something completely different. I'm not stating that it is a deliriant, I'm just considering it a good hypothesis, according to the report. And by the way, Salvia (through salvinoriin A - although a KOR agonist ) is more aptly qualified as a dissociative. Ibogaine also binds quite strongly to the opioids and actually may have also dissociative properties rather than psychedelic. This latter is rather complex pharmacologically, affecting also the "mysterious" sigmas, to which DMT also binds. None of these has any relation to steroids.

Again, we're not being sticklers here about the definition of "psychedelic."

Last edited:
Furthermore, if crossing the BBB was a prerequisite for psychoactivity,

It is.

a whole shitload of of things we find to alter our state would not exist.

Such as?

Don't forget that steroids are psychoactive to some degree

Yeah right. Testosterone? Estrogen? Which one exactly

And at least resist the urge to *classify* something you don't know anything about.

I did not classify anything. I suggested an hypothesis

All I'm saying is,'look, there are these plants with novel, interesting effects to be explored." It'd be great to not have that met with such swift pigeonholing and invalidation.

No invalidation nor pigeonholing. I just suggested an hypothesis. Time and future research will tell whether I was right or wrong, No need to get all excited and flamed about it.

cheers.

Furthermore, if crossing the BBB was a prerequisite for psychoactivity, a whole shitload of of things we find to alter our state would not exist. Don't forget that steroids are psychoactive to some degree. And at least resist the urge to *classify* something you don't know anything about. All I'm saying is,'look, there are these plants with novel, interesting effects to be explored." It'd be great to not have that met with such swift pigeonholing and invalidation.

Yeah, I gotta pop in here and take issue with this. If something doesn't cross the BBB then it can't have any effects on the CNS, only the sympathomimetic systems. If you're not stimulating receptors in the brain in some way, regardless of what those receptors may be, you're not going to get any effect on consciousness, let alone psychedelia. I will thus insist you post some sort of evidence to back up your extraordinary claim that effects on consciousness can be realized without having activity occurring within the brain. Otherwise I will throw your own needlessly antagonistic and hostile words back in your face: "Stop trying to talk about something you have no idea about and do some research..."

Again, we're not being sticklers here about the definition of "psychedelic."

No, you're wrong. YOU may 'not be being a stickler about the definition' of psychedelics, but contrary to what I suspect you may believe, you are not everybody, and everybody else here is accepting the traditional definition of what psychedelia is and how it happens. If we're just going to throw random shit into a pile under the heading of 'psychedelic' then the term loses any objective meaning.

We have words to describe things specifically for a reason. If I tried to tell you that something like amphetamine was psychedelic you would likely tell me I'm talking bullshit, yet it's well established than hallucinations can be a major component of stimulant psychosis. We use specific terms to clarify what is an inherently fuzzy thing: language and how it encodes meaning. How is it useful to destroy the boundaries of what is and isn't X or Y so as to satisfy your need for somebody to be wrong so you can then be correct?

I'm not being a dick to be a dick, and this isn't just an academic distinction, a splitting of hairs. This web forum is predicated upon the concept of accurate information, and exists to try and spread that accurate information as far and wide as possible, to try and hold back the tide of nonsense and mythology, to say nothing of outright lies spread by advocates of prohibition. Classifying things sloppily is a great way to misinform, and thus goes against everything that Bluelight stands for.

So let's use our nearly infinite variety of words and their permutations in a conventional way when dealing with other people. Conversation has to take place within a sort of philological middle ground, where the participants ackgnowledge that there may be variation based on geographical or cultural separation in the connotations and denotations of various terms, and meet eachother halfway. This sort of compromise is necessary for any sort of meaningful dialogue, and while it may seem to you that it looks cool to be a maverick and go against the grain by using terms in unconventional or sloppy ways, I see that as taking a stand against something useful – the objective meaning encoded in our words – for no other reason than to be provocative or to wriggle out of a compromising statement that somebody took issue with

---

Back to the issue of changes of consciousness without a compound passing through the BBB, I would be interested to hear more about these steroids that you mention. I am not aware of a single steroid that possesses some form of psychoactivity. It is true that these compounds can definitely alter behavior, but they do so by altering the levels of certain regulatory hormones and signaling factors. This leads to a chain of alterations in the concentrations and locations of chemical signals in the body that eventually does reach into the brain, through the blood-brain barrier.

And then within the brain these abnormal quantities of whatever signaling compounds are in question creates changes in neurotransmitter levels and in the expression and pattern of electrical signals. This, ultimately, is what then drives the behavioral changes, such as unexpected, improper levels of aggression. But the steroid is not actually going into the brain and working upon the receptors there in some fashion that creates alterations in consciousness that are commonly referred to under the heading of 'psychoactive effects' as we know them. Rather, the steroids are at one end of a long, complicated chain of hormones, regulatory and signaling factors, and so forth, that ultimately leads into regions of the brain responsible for regulating our emotions and levels of aggression, such as the amygdala, via alterations in the complicated, not fully understood feedback and feedforward loops that govern many aspects of our physiology.

Last edited:
^ ^ Mansoa alliacea & Maytenus spp.

Deinonychus, thank you for such an in-depth and kind post. It's given me a greater respect for the language we use here. My fuzzying the definitions of "psychedelic" and "psychoactive" (which I now take back) were attempts at highlighting the potential of these plants to change our conscious experience, no matter how indirectly. And thank you for spelling out *how* that happens biochemically.

I also aim to encourage people to look at the more subtle aspects of their experience, the quieter effects of plants that we can gain from if we pay attention and quiet our minds. It is partially to counter what I see as prevalent inclination toward extreme states of mind, at least on Bluelight (200mg DMT, anyone?).

I do want to point out that you say " If something doesn't cross the BBB then it can't have any effects on the CNS, only the sympathomimetic systems. " But then later explain how these things will alter behavior. This makes sense, but here I would like to, if you'll allow me, to deliberately fuzzy the line between, or at least draw a solid line connecting behavior and perception. The things we do, and the things our bodies do involuntarily are inextricably related to what is going on in the brain, which you explain.

In sum, I apologize for botching my definitions. I still would like to encourage exploration into these plants, even if they are not psychoactive by definition.

I honestly think taking 1 fl oz of a good chuchuhuasi extract would qualify as a significant, positive and interesting experience in anyone's book. At the moment I will not do this, as I'm using it medicinally, and I'm not sure I'm ready for the full behavioral ; ) effects.

It's posts like yours why I like Bluelight so much.

Last edited:
There are indeed psychoactive steroids. Quite a few affect the GABAergic system (GABAa), such as pregnanolone (pregnEnolone is an antagonist, pregnAnalone is an agonist for the neurosteroid binding site on the GABAaR complex)

Also, things like alphaxalone, these obviously are BBB-penetrant, seeing as how they have been used clinically as general anaesthetics.