• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health The Big & Dandy Bipolar Disorder & Psychedelics Thread

theWorldWithin said:
lol, if mushrooms drove you over the edge you do not even want to think about fucking with LSD. Stop smoking pot and chill the fuck out man, before you get so bad that meds cant even help you anymore. Obviously you are still young, so your symptoms may intensify. LSD will only makes this worse.

Tread lightly, this is the rest of your life we are talking about here. Is getting high on drugs really worth flushing your existence down the shitter?

I am bipolar. Mushrooms are like russian roulette for me, but acid never treats me badly. But at the same time if you're still struggling with it don't add any troubles to your situations.

Peace,
PL

Bipolar disorder and psychedelics (mega-merged)

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of any possible interactions between LSD and these medications :
-Wellbutrin 200mg daily
-Lamictal 150mg daily
-Ativan 1mg to sleep nightly

I have always been quite curious about ac!d, but am afraid if I tried it I might not "come back to reality". Is it a hazardous substance for someone with minor manic/bi polar disorder?

I have rolled ecstasy and taken mushrooms many times with no unusual negative effects...can I try ac!d, or will it fuck me up?

I'm bipolar myself and I have experienced total mental breakdowns in the past on the drugs. That may or may not be to do with my disorder but I figure it is since most people don't seem to have that kind of mental breakdown on the substance.

About the medications: I've never taken any kind of medication for the disorder so I'm clueless as to what kind of interaction they might have.

I hope that helped.

I can say in my experience with it, that it has given me a certain level of Bipolarness in my thinking. I feel more aware of both my introverted thoughts and my extroverted expressions. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm throwing it out there anyway, maybe others have gone through this certain awareness like process. I can mainly say it came from LSD but that's because it's mainly what I've tripped off most.

I'm bi-polar and havn't been on any "psychomeds" for years....just my clonazepam which i'm gettting off, and suboxone (becuase of heroin addiction) which I'm also getting off. I was always the one person to get a TOTAL FREAK OUT/LSD matrix trip off pot back in high school/the whole nine yards. In late HS and early college I tried all the anti-pscyhos you can think of...the more common ones....I tried lamictil..that orange sample pack (like a months worth or 3 or something(?)) before I relapsed on heroin and ended up in rehab for the 2nd time/blah blah blah....anyways....

IMO, i don't think any of the meds you're one would screw up your trip...it would just dull it...so simply take more. ..but as psyly said "you are playing with fire"....and I definately used to be...(I've somehow honestly learned to harness my episodes a lot better witout drugs).....I just tripped pretty damn hard on LSD recently and it was heaven. I will be doing an even heavier trip probably tomorro. About a year ago i TRIPPED THE HELL OUT on DOM....I was told it was L and ended up taking maybe ~20-30mg of it....(comparing it to my EXTENSIVE exepriences with all the DOx's....anyways...If worst comes to worst....just start running around your hood...seriously...unless you're too wacked out that you'd do something dumb...I'm talking about literally running like a jogger would...or just roaming...that always helps clear my head if I have a bi-polar/manic episode during a random trip. You'll either learn to harness it with ease over time, or end up on meds for the rest of your life.. ... Like i've said to others.....it's like Russian Roulette....(let the flamming begin!) :) Good luck bro.
-DM

I really appreciate your help guys. I couldn't find anything on this anywhere. While I am curious "what the matrix is" I think its probably safest if I don't take Ac!D. I have had fun with MDMA and i suppose i don't need to push my luck.

It is a bummer, but I don't want to burn holes in my brain and damage it like the hippies did anyway...

Mixing LSD with lithium, a particular medication for bipolar, can be very dangerous and cause seizures. But unless you're taking lithium, I don't think seizures are really a worry. The effects of LSD on an unstable mind are definitely a worry, however.

royksopp said:
I really appreciate your help guys. I couldn't find anything on this anywhere. While I am curious "what the matrix is" I think its probably safest if I don't take Ac!D. I have had fun with MDMA and i suppose i don't need to push my luck.

It is a bummer, but I don't want to burn holes in my brain and damage it like the hippies did anyway...

Wait...are you suggesting that LSD burns holes in your brain?

Yeah... it doesn't do that. LSD is actually perfectly safe physically to the brain and body. MDMA, on the other hand, is proven to be neurotoxic. Actually MDMA is a sinister drug in my opinion... it feels fine (at least the first few times), but it's actually doing damage. It once threw me into a violent depression for almost a month afterwards.

^Proven? I was under the impression that neurotoxicity of MDMA in humans had still not been conclusively demonstrated. I'm not saying that it isn't neurotoxic, I'm quite sure it is, but I'd like to see the cite for your claim of it being proven.

Medina KL, Shear PK. Anxiety, depression, and behavioral symptoms of executive dysfunction in ecstasy users: contributions of polydrug use. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007 Mar 16;87(2-3):303-11.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17074449

Quinton MS, Yamamoto BK. Causes and consequences of methamphetamine and MDMA toxicity. AAPS J. 2006 May 12;2):E337-47.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16796384

Quednow BB, Jessen F, Kuhn KU, Maier W, Daum I, Wagner M. Memory deficits in abstinent MDMA (ecstasy) users: neuropsychological evidence of frontal dysfunction. J Psychopharmacol. 2006 May;20(3):373-84.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16574711

Zakzanis KK, Campbell Z. Memory impairment in now abstinent MDMA users and continued users: a longitudinal follow-up. Neurology. 2006 Mar 14;66(5):740-1.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16534114

Thomasius R, Zapletalova P, Petersen K, Buchert R, Andresen B, Wartberg L, Nebeling B, Schmoldt A. Mood, cognition and serotonin transporter availability in current and former ecstasy (MDMA) users: the longitudinal perspective. J Psychopharmacol. 2006 Mar;20(2):211-25.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16510479

While my heavy use of LSD in my early 20's exacerbated my low grade manic depression to the point of making it clinically significant (although it never progressed to anything more severe than hypomanic states) and the depression side requiring a course of treatment with antidepressants - I actually didn't touch LSD for 18 years after that, these days I find that the occasional dose (once every couple of months) actually has some sort of mood stabilizing effect. This generally manifests as having a sightly more 'get up & go', but not in an unfocused hypomanic sort of way.

As with everything else enjoyable about life, moderation is the key to getting the most out of it

I am bi-polar and I can say that mushrooms have helped me a lot, and I have easily admitted this to my psych and he didn't really say anything negative about it. I have had a horrible experience, definitely because of my bi-polar, involving me believing I had to die. But honestly ever since that bad experience I have had the same trips every time, and they are amazingly beautiful. I was also on wellbutrin at points of my psychedelic use, and only noticed some enhancement, so be careful.

-DP

I have personally found that it's helped mine... but then again I don't believe because it works for one person it will mean it will work for the next.
It could make it worse or better but if a person wants to see which they will have to take the risk of trying. I find that shrooms & K have helped mine no end & also the occational use of MDMA...I try to stear clear of drink & also smoking green as these will make me depressed post session (For some reason I can get away with solid though & not feel bad mentally just a bit lethargic for a few days)
When I went through a stage of not doing any drugs (only drink) for about 2 years by bipolar was much worse then not...it was bloody awful! I find it ironic that since I started doing drugs again it has been much more steady with the mood changes & easier to manage & deal with 0_o...I don't know why it is like this but I'm certainly not going to complain :) I think for me moderation of a good thing is also the key...as I'm sure that if I took the piss & did lots of drugs very often it would swing the opposite way & make my condition worse.
I do think it's important to try different things & work out what does & does not work for you. Just be sure to exercise caution & be safe.

I was diagnosed as suspected bipolar (I was to young to have a full diagnosis) but Iv tripped mys elf beyond comprehension numerous times.

I think the main thing out of people who may or do in fact have a mental disorder is to honestly ask them selves what they expect to get out of tripping. what is there motive and can it not be reached by other means. BOREDOM IS NOT A REASON!!!

and then start low and FULLY integrate all issues which come up from the experience and learn to grow from each one of them. I put my self off my lithium long before I dosed, but thats one thing you need to watch out for. Pretty much all psychotropic medications used to treat these mental disorders will have an adverse effect when in conjunction with psychedelics.

I would suggest anyone who is currently suffering from a mental disorder to PLEASE seek other avenues. psychedelic experience isn't the only road which leads to Rome. Feel free to PM me and I will be more then willing to discuss other options with you, but prior to contacting me please think throughly about what your intentions are in using psychedelics so I can better asses what an alternative would be for your desired purpose.

Youkai makes a great point.... it is especially important to try to integrate any lessons into your life that you may have gained with the aid of psychedelics. After all, you don't plan on carry around some diagnosis-label for your whole life, do you?

Be cautious: overuse of psychedelics without proper integration can cause you to become mentally unstable. For somebody who is bipolar the next step may be paranoia / borderline personality / schizophrenia.

I have seen psychedelics heal those who use them responsibly and with good intention, and destroy those who who were not prepared to cope with their inner truths. Psychedelics can help show you the Ying/Yang of one's own being and how to properly manage this in every day life.

Final and most important word of advice. Never never never use MDMA or MDA. A bipolar brain can simply not afford this kind of abuse to the serotonin system, which most people can reasonably recover from.

Pure, smoked DMT.. starting with light doses... will probably be your greatest ally. It will rewire your mind if you learn to let it.

Salvia also has a beneficial effect on bipolar folks, tending to level them out for a couple days or more afterwards.

Last edited: