• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't by the gempro...waste of money.
Get the TANITA 1210-50 : great scale.

^^i bought a gempro recently and it isnt as good as it should be. i recalibrated many times and still when i put on a 10g weight half the time it willl give me a reading off by ~2mg.

yep i have read about gempro not being as precise numerous times.. can't go wrong with tanita, a friend has it and it's unbeatable in that price category. it's not cheap, but like mgs (i think?) said "if you can afford research chems, you can afford a good scale" (and SHOULD, too :))

H1erophant said:
I might be in the market for a new scale soon, preferably one that measures accurately to the milligram, possibly smaller. Does anyone know of a good scale that measures accurately to the milligram and is relatively cheap? Feel free to PM me with the info if you don't want to post it here, thanks for all the info you can give me.

No ones got a recommendation for me?

^^ What do you consider "relatively cheap"? I know such scales have been on eBay for as little as $100-$200 ,but I can't vouch for the quality of any particular model.

My guess is few people if any on this board have invested in such a precise scale for "personal" use, although some may be aware of good options from lab settings.

Maybe go ask the bees as well.

Tanita 1210 vs. Gempro 50?

Well, I'm tired of eyeing out doses for all my research chems (it's worked fine for the past 30 trips but it's nice to know exactly how much you're taking), especially ones like 5-meo-dmt and 5-meo-mipt. So, I've decided to splurge and buy a scale.

However, as these scales cost quite a lot, I'm a big hessitant. I've decided on either the Tanita 1210 or the Gempro 50.

The Tanita 1210 is about $200 from various sites, while the Gempro is about $150 from Old Will Knot.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these scales? I've heard the Gempro has some calibration and accuracy problems; does the Tanita share them? Is the Tanita worth the extra $50?

Also, does anyone know a good, reliable site that I can order the Tanita from if I decide to go with it? Apparently Old Will Knot is reliable, so if I go with the Gempro I'll get it from him.

I don't have my own scale, but I use the university's chemistry lab scale, which is supposed to be accurate +/- 0.001g.

Ive got a set of Mettler-Toledo mg scales, although I'd hazard a guess that they could use a recalibration, I wouldn't use them to weigh less than 10mgs at a time...

Been working with my new Tanita over the weekend. It is a fine device but I'm not convinced it is all that accurate at the sub-10mg level. Maybe it's just hard to work with substances at that level on any scale. I go back and weigh my capsules after I've stuffed them and have to re-do half of them. I suspect the accuracy is somewhat better at the 70mg level (capsule plus substance) than at the 10mg level (substance in the pan). Better safe than sorry I guess. Maybe with practice it will get better.

I'm too lazy to read through this thread... but a good tip for weighing RCs: Take an empty gelcap, weigh it, do this three times and mark down the weight. Average it out, you have your gelcap weight. Open the gelcap, insert powder until you think it is about right, weigh it, again with the three times method.

I do this with my Gempro. And I've not had any problems. The MOST a reading has ever been off, was 4mg, but that was fluffy substance, and after letting the scale sit a couple seconds, it finally balances out.

I *LOVE* my Gempro and wouldn't really have it any other way!

^^^ I agree, Gempro is a fickle goddess. You need to be gentle. Make sure you do this on a (preferably) cement surface with as many mouse pads between the floor and the scale. Be gentle and she'll treat you well.

I'm quite happy with my Acculab PP2060D.

Sometimes the reading is off, but then I do weigh everything about 3 times at least until I trust the numbers I read, just to be on the safe side. And it rarely is very off, and if it is, it's because I sprinkled stuff on slowly rather than dropping the amount all at once. Hence if I do sprinkle to add, I always weigh the lot again afterwards. Time well spent, I guess.

Why would the Tanita be better than the Acculab I have? Price or also quality? I thought both were up to 0.001 readers and hence +/- 1mg accurate - meaning if I weigh out, say, 14mg of something it might be 13 or 15.

Happy weighing, all;)

Status
Not open for further replies.