• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The bias of "natural" psychedelics

What about natural psychedelics like Belladonna, Henbane and Jimson Weed?

good to clarify, these are dangerous, I've never tried them but in my mind they aren't even psychedelics, they're deliriants, but to others they can be psychedelics. Just take my comments as applying to DMT preparations, cacti and mushrooms. I don't believe these cause long-term physical harm, but say you have a psychotic break while tripping which has happened to people, you can do real damage. That's kinda the gist of what I'm saying, so I'm not implying that these psychedelics are safe.

^^ If one is going to include natural deliriants in this discussion as well then one also needs to include synthetic deliriants, natural and synthetic dissociatives, natural and synthetic kappaergics, and so on, because all of those and more have been called psychedelics by someone. That turns this into a massively different discussion, and given that the OP specifically stated "Unique psychedelics such as salvia don't count.", I think it's safer to say that the discussion here is about specifically serotonergic psychedelics, which Belladonna, Henbane, and Jimson Weed are not. I think your initial post was completely accurate.

A drug is a drug. Any bias is based on your personal beliefs. Certain classes provide you with the certain experiences you're looking for and those are the only tentative biases I from. LSD/1P-LSD/LSZ are my choice for connecting with SO spiritually, sexually, visuals etc. Shrooms/4-HO-MET/other 4-subs-trypts are my choice for wandering around on adventures. Substitued PEAs are simply novelties for me and exploring different visuals and introspective natures.

Again drugs are drugs. Thinking something is "safer" because it's natural is ignorant. Treat everything with the respect it deserves and you won't have a problem with safety, natural or synthetic

From my adventures into RC tryptamines which I have mostly enjoyed I have come back to shrooms and DMT. Liberty caps are special, far more so than cubensis.

I took some last year after quite a while and I realised for me there is just an x factor to them the synthetic tryptamines I have had don't have. I think cubensis and 4 aco dmt are fairly close though. Maybe it is the beocystin?

There are some synthetics that don't feel too good had toxic feelings and weird twitches on 5 meo dipt and 4 ho met before which is quite disconcerting.

The only reason I prefer the classics is they have established safety profiles from long histories of use. Any drug, artificial or not, can be worthwhile if it has an established safety profile. LSD is a classic and it's entirely artificial (and one of the safest substances on earth).

No it's not entirely artificial, it's semi-synthetic because the lysergic acids exist in nature.

Couldn't you say all tryptamines are semissynthetic because tryptamine exists in nature; and all phenethylamines are semisynthetic because phenethylamine exists in nature?

No it's not entirely artificial, it's semi-synthetic because the lysergic acids exist in nature.

I don't think that makes sense - lsd as a molecule isn't found in nature (yet) so has to be synthesised. We don't say 25i is semi-synthetic because it shares parts of its skeleton with mescaline do we? (edit: and what red said :))

From my adventures into RC tryptamines which I have mostly enjoyed I have come back to shrooms and DMT. Liberty caps are special, far more so than cubensis.

I took some last year after quite a while and I realised for me there is just an x factor to them the synthetic tryptamines I have had don't have. I think cubensis and 4 aco dmt are fairly close though. Maybe it is the beocystin?

There are some synthetics that don't feel too good had toxic feelings and weird twitches on 5 meo dipt and 4 ho met before which is quite disconcerting.

Just curious but how can you tell the difference between Liberty Caps and Cubensis when you take shrooms?

I've done shrooms several times and never knew what I was taking.

If you are in america they will almost definitely be cubensis. I find them to produce a heavy stoney feeling and more likely to have a nasty edge to them. Liberty caps are much lighter and the trip is more friendly although they are more potent by weight.

I Really want to try cyanescens as they have a lot of baeocystin and I think that is the difference.

Is there any evidence baeocystin could have a noticeable effect on the trip in the quantities present?

I always say a drug is a drug is a drug. I hate when people say something feels toxic or poisonous. That is bs. Just because a drug feels different than the mushrooms or whatever you're used to doesn't mean it's toxic. You're doing a different drug, duh. And placebo mindset and whatever already durastically influence our opinions and beliefs about every thing we do so much already, a totally psychological thing like psychedelics magnifies that ridiculously. Also people seem to be using synthetic as a synonym for RC. LSD is synthetic. Semi-synthetic is like semi artificial, either it exists naturally or it doesn't. And what about 2C-E or shulgin's favourites. And while not a "true psychedelic" MDMA is one of the most popular drugs and is evidently a wonderful healing tool capable of producing profound states, and is indeed synthetic.

Whether a drug is toxic or not does become more clear the longer it exists. Synthetic or not, the older the drug the more likely it's safe (unless it's known to be unsafe). That's why it's not a bad idea to prefer the classics (synthetic or not). I say this as a guy who has gambled on RCs and will again, so no judgment.

I think this misconception comes from the fact that natural foods are generally much healthier than processed foods. People who don't understand pharmacology assume that the same thing applies to anything you put in your body.

There is hardly any research on Baeocystin to my knowledge so it is pure conjecture. I have read it is about as potent as psilocybin so there is probably enough in liberty caps and azurenscens to affect the trip.

I've done quite a bit of cyanescens as well as cubensis, there is definitely a big difference. I look forward to trying some liberty caps whenever I get a chance to hunt some down. Cyans are a bit "deeper" and more spiritual/introspective for me than cubensis which are more visual and just simply fun a lot of time.

Mycophile, you can tell the difference by the look of the mushroom, or often times when people get something besides cubensis it's something they or some friends picked. Cyanescens grow in these parts so you actually see them pretty often, a lot of times people walk around town handing em out, pretty funny.

As far as responding to the thread, I think there's a lot to be said for preferring classic psychedelics, whether synthetic or not, over new ones. Some of these new chemicals just have horrible safety profiles (nBOMEs anyone?) and very low margins for safe dosing, and we don't find that out until there are casualties. It's nice knowing with traditional psychs that it is VERY hard to hurt oneself even if you get all crazy with doses. I much prefer doing drugs that have been researched for decades, but I have been known to take RCs sometimes too. But I don't feel particularly safe doing so.

Couldn't you say all tryptamines are semissynthetic because tryptamine exists in nature; and all phenethylamines are semisynthetic because phenethylamine exists in nature?

Well he was modifying lysergic acid which is already found in nature. Can you really call that entirely synthetic?

I don't think that makes sense - lsd as a molecule isn't found in nature (yet) so has to be synthesised. We don't say 25i is semi-synthetic because it shares parts of its skeleton with mescaline do we? (edit: and what red said :))

I think it's more like taking the mescaline molecule and adding various things to it - I wouldn't call something produced like that entirely synthetic. Perhaps if he was working from something simpler like an oxygen atom - but if more than half your molecule already exists in nature...

Well he was modifying lysergic acid which is already found in nature. Can you really call that entirely synthetic?

Yes. Are the effects at all similar to lysergic acid? Small changes to a chemical can have massive differences. The difference between activity and inactivity, or between safety and lethality. What does "entirely synthetic" even mean? There's no gradations. Either it's naturally occurring or it isn't.

What does "entirely synthetic" even mean? There's no gradations. Either it's naturally occurring or it isn't.

I think 'entirely synthetic' refers to the process by which it was created being totally synthetic..there are gradations in the process involved I suppose.

'Total synthesis is the complete chemical synthesis of an organic molecule from simpler pieces called precursors. It usually refers to a process not involving the aid of biological processes,[1][2][3] which distinguishes it from semisynthesis.'

Semisynthesis:

Drugs derived from natural sources are usually produced by harvesting the natural source or through semisynthetic methods: one example is the semisynthesis of LSD from ergotamine, which is isolated from ergot fungus cultures.