• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

The Benefits of Kratom (A 500 word Essay)

Papaverium

Bluelighter
To begin, kratom is a plant in the coffee family that has psychoactive effects when taken orally. It binds to the opiate receptors in the brain, causing an effect similar to opiates. It has been used as an opium substitute and method for pain management in Thailand and other Asian countries for centuries, and is only recently becoming more well-known in North America. Kratom can be of benefit to those in recovery from an opiate dependency.

As mentioned in the introductory paragraph, kratom binds to the opioid receptors. There are a few chemicals believed to be the cause of this effect which are; mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and mitraphylline. In doses of about under five grams, it has an affinity for the delta receptors, creating a more stimulating effect that can help users going through withdrawal to have energy for going about their day. At higher doses, it has an affinity for the µ receptors, causing a more sedative effect that is similar to the effects opioids produce. In a patient who has a tolerance, these effects do not intoxicate them, as instead, they combat the symptoms of withdrawal, and assist the user to feel well and able to function.

A second point about kratom, is that it must be consumed orally. This is a great thing for intravenous users who are working hard on quitting the use of needles to administer their drug of choice. Kratom most commonly comes in a powdered form or a liquid extract that can be consumed most easily by mixing into a drink. A smoothie would be a great example because the sweetness helps overpower the bitterness of the kratom which can be tough to consume for some individuals. The fact that kratom is administered orally is an excellent step toward harm reduction.

Thirdly, kratom is not scheduled under the Controlled Drug and Substances Act in Canada, and as well as the Federal Controlled Substances Act in the United States, with an exception to some state laws. This means that users who decide to try maintenance using kratom do not face the risks of being arrested and charged with possession of an illicit substance. It is however, not approved for consumption by the FDA due to lack of sufficient research about its safety. Having mentioned this though, Methadone and Suboxone require a prescription, and have been proven to be more dangerous to users, and even sometimes less effective at reducing opioid abuse. It is difficult to abuse kratom, as the effects are more subtle, and the route of administration has very little options. Kratom does have addictive properties, but it has been proven to be easier to come off of than intravenous use of heroin or other strong opioids.

With all that being said, kratom is a very effective plant at reducing and eliminating opioid withdrawals and even abuse altogether. Harm reduction is very important to drug users, and this plant can be of major benefit to those who wish to turn their life around. It is a legal, natural remedy that helps those who are struggling to get their life back on track, and is highly recommended as maintenance for anyone who has the desire to get their opiate addiction under control.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, that was a great read. :)

It appears the INDENT tags only work to indent the ENTIRE paragraph, not just the first line. Somewhat unseemly, and I can understand why that's frustrating.

I just switched from suboxone to kratom. I was taking 2mg a day, and yesterday first tried taking 7.5g not expecting to feel much of anything. I was completely mistaken.

What's interesting about kratom is that it gives me a euphoria that is similar to when I first started using opiates, but have not felt in about seven years. Why this is, I have no idea but I don't question it.

Another interesting thing, as you pointed out, is that in playing around with dosages, I too have found that lower dosages resemble that of a stimulant (and not a stimulant in the way that hydrocodone or oxycodone can be stimulating, but a true stimulant, similar to amphetamine), whereas the higher dosages resemble an opiate. What's even weirder, is that it seems like tolerance does not render these lower dosages useless (whether this will remain to be true or not I do not know, as I've only been experimenting for 1 1/2 days). I took 10g this morning, got an opiate effect, and then later in the day about seven hours later, dosed 6g, and got a buzz very similar to amphetamine.

I also agree that it's a great thing for IV drug users such as myself, because I wouldn't even think of shooting kratom, well, that's a lie, I suppose if I had the alkaloids completely isolated... but anyway, that is not the case. I prefer it to suboxone because it provides a buzz, which eliminates my cravings to shoot heroin and meth. Some might use this as an argument as to why it should not be used for ORT, but I feel honestly that this is my best chance at ceasing intravenous drug use. I'm 28 now, been shooting dope for ten years, and I need to stop fucking around with drugs that I can be jailed for or will have me winding up homeless.