the band swirlies reminds me of wu tang clan

foodcrisis

Bluelighter
they give me this hopeless but relaxed feeling. i don't know what it is about certain music. it almost sounds like something is going wrong. and for this thread i'm talking about the genius "liquid swords" era of wu tang, and method man's first release "tical", also a great deal of raekwon "only built for cuban lynx", odb's first release is pretty crazy too, a bit harder, but still was like a dream for the first time i listened and some other listens.

also the band Polvo has a cool song where the synth reminds me of a lot of method man's "tical" album. a lot of polvos music just rocks, some is really dreamy and other songs like this just have a bizarre depressing feel

i'd definitely recommend checking out polvo's entire career from start to finish. they put their guitars in some of the most bizarre but familiar sounding tunings. that is my favorite swirlies song though. their career can get kind of monotonous, but i definitely like it and can see myself listening to all their work again.

my comment about the music sounding like something is going wrong has gotten me thinking about a lot of different music. today i remembered my experience listening to the song "23" by elizebeth colour wheel. i was on acid when i first heard this song. at first it starts off enjoyable, still a little bit depressing but with a feeling of hope or good, like it's chill to listen to. the guy has a cool rock voice, nothing bad going on. so about three minutes into the song, the music breaks up, gets slower. a girl sings. it's pretty melancholy, getting a little more depressing... so when the guitar at 4:05 comes in. this shit fucks with my head so bad. it's like the end of civilization or something. when i first heard this, it was not enjoyable at all to me. like i look back on it and like it sounds like cool music, like there is an instrumental feel... i'm even a big fan of a lot of hardcore and metal, but the girl screaming. i remember hearing it sound like "i hate this"," and i thought that was all she was saying. shit fucked with my head... then it goes back into the rock singing for the end of the song, and it's like everything is alright. this song was a lot for me to handle. i should have posted it in the songs you can feel in your bones thread.

i listened and watched this video for the last three days once a day. i have to say i get a different feeling from it comparing it to the above music. i haven't thought to watch this video since like 2017 ish, in a time when i was using a lot of acid. i remember watching this and getting the weirdest feeling, like calm, but death was coming. like the band elizabeth colour wheel freaked me out, but this stuff just put me at peace. like but in a kind of bad way too, i don't want to explain why... watch at your own risk, the band Seely early in their career, sounds like death is coming church sacrament or something...

to me wu tang clan and swirlies kind of sound like life and living, but in some kind of weird pain. this recording of Seely sounds like death is coming, definitely. i'm glad i forgot about this and can remember it again. it doesn't hit me as hard now, but in 2017 i was getting this feeling like i heard it before and it just sounded so much like death to me... i'm enjoying it still.

Seely also has a couple albums they recorded in studios that i don't think are as special sounding, but they are still good and entertaining. there is a lot of synthesizer keyboard stuff with the guitars and the guitar gets a little more advanced from what i remember. not my favorite, but definitely still cool.

i've still been thinking about indie and rock music that reminds me of that dark wu tang feel ever since i made this thread. i've actually been comparing rock and modern music to hip hop compared to classic rock since i first heard the Wu in like third grade... here's an indie song by Low that i've decided imo has a classic wu tang feel. it's actually indie rock, but i can imagine rap over the beat:

i've been thinking about posting that since i started this thread. i think it might be even more noticably hip hop related than swirlies and polvo the originally bands i posted about.

i heard chet baker the jazz singer on the radio the other night and it made me think about him again and how it's got a pretty dark feel to it.

But what hit me like an epiphany yesterday, i probably thought about it before is that if a persons favorite ODB song is this:

(starts about 18 minutes into the album if you tube doesn't link directly to the song)

If that's a person's favorite ODB song then there is a great chance that they are going to get the same vibe from this indie folk artist Cat Power's song (i posted this in the female artists thread too if anybody noticed):

(song starts 5.40 seconds into the album.

Both of those songs go at it pretty hardcore imo. hits me in the weirdest way. i like how O.D.B. goes "fly for you to feel what you wants to feel" and
"when you stimulate your own mind for one common cause you see who's the real mother fucker" if anybody doesn't get that second quote, i think it's funny how they talk about the five percent nation from whatever religion that that is. fucks with my head. if i read about that correctly the religion says only five percent of people are able to find god or that they know the truth or whatever, then 10 percent of the world is evil and the rest of the world is just people that don't know... i don't mean to diss people that might be unenlightened, but that religions thought always gives me faith about whether or not i'm crazy. i love the wu.

also in this thread i kind of said that classic rock music doesn't have the dark feel and there is more modern music that is darker or scary, but "don't fear the reaper" by blue oyster cult kind of reminds me of Wu too. lol.

anyways, just thought i'd promote some dark music. maybe i'll try to think of some other stuff to update in this thread. i posted on a board where a lot of the fan base listened to "screamo" kind of metal music and wu tang exclusively, but screamo doesn't really give me the same vibes as wu. they are pretty close, but there is something different about them. can't really put my finger on the difference in emotions. i like them both, but they are some how different to me... anyways, hope some of ya'll can get in my head a bit and maybe understand what i feel.... i like a lot of other more peaceful positive music too. lol. but a lot of the time in life i find myself listening to dark jams.