• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The afterlife...

Tosh.Suku

Bluelighter
If you believe in an after life then I would be interested in hearing what you believe happens after the lights go out. Think we carry our vices with us, so a smoker fiends for a cigarette, an opiate user craves his dope, and so forth? Think we have to relive our mistakes, or face a judge of sorts? What about temptation? Pain? Also, which version of you are you, in the afterlife? The young Derek, the middle aged Derek, or the old man Derek?

you die. end of story. Nothing but human's not understanding nothing therefore assuming they must not become nothing once they die.

I was watching the movie Waking Life and there is this wonderful scene where Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke are talking in bed. During this discussion they talk about what Timothy Leary said about death in that he was looking forward to those final 5-10 minutes of brain activity after you die. Then Delpy talks about how when she sometimes wakes up and falls back asleep at 7:15 she has beautiful dreams that seem to last for hours and when she wakes up its 7:16. IMO the after life is those last minutes of brain activity after the rest of your body shuts down. I'm thinking those 10 minutes will be the most wonderful dream (or horrible if your subconscious is heavily burdened with guilt or whatever) you'll ever have. And that once its over you won't even care because it was so awesome.

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." - Revelation 20

Nice story, bro

lulz :) If I had found the clip I would've linked it instead of giving a shitty description of the scene. But I couldn't find on any site besides youtube and I don't have access to youtube.

Revelations also has a verse where all the righteous gather together and feast upon the flesh of all the leaders of the world. As far as end of the world scenarios go that is pretty fucked up right there.

although i am a believer of the spirit/ghost, i'll stick to assuming there is nothing there. there's nothing to gain from believing there is, and plenty to gain by doing otherwise. make the most of your life now. you get no do-overs.

but if you do, ... well good luck with that one.

as for drugs.... who cares? they're only drugs. what's a chemical dependancy to a state of being without chemicals?

Revelations also has a verse where all the righteous gather together and feast upon the flesh of all the leaders of the world. As far as end of the world scenarios go that is pretty fucked up right there.

Freddy I know where it says that the birds of the air will feed on the leaders of the world (Revelations 19.17) but where does it say
that the righteous are going to be feasting on the leaders of the world?

Theres no way Im going to eat David Cameron.. maybe a bite of Obama ..mmm with some fava beans and a nice chianti.. numnummmmnum.

Freddy I know where it says that the birds of the air will feed on the leaders of the world (Revelations 19.17) but where does it say
that the righteous are going to be feasting on the leaders of the world?

Theres no way Im going to eat David Cameron.. maybe a bite of Obama ..mmm with some fava beans and a nice chianti.. numnummmmnum.

From here to eternity.
smooth lubeeLou.. very smooth.%)

^I thought the birds come to the table when the righteous were already at the meal. But I haven't read any of the Bible in a good long while so I apologize if I got it wrong.

That being said I wouldn't mind taking a bite out of Cleopatra ;)

Yeah ;)

Tant qu'il y aura des hommes ;)

It's raining men hallelujah it's raining men hallelujah :D

Here's a in-depth interpretation of the stages of dying and rebirth process in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition; the amount of rich detail they go into is rather fascinating..

http://integrallife.com/member/ken-wilber/blog/death-rebirth-and-meditation

I believe there's nothing after death, death is after-all the release of everything into nothing. I'll never know for certain, but isn't that where the fear comes from? The unknown.. if you can accept you don't know and couldn't possibly ever know then you are liberated from your self and die into the moment.. and then perhaps realize you never really existed? :D

I think its an irrelevant question.
Which is not to say that I haven't wondered about it at length myself.
I believe that if you do your best for this life then you carry within you a spirit ( by spirit I mean way of being, attitude etc) which ought to stand you in good stead in all circumstances.

I use to think when we died, nothing happened. Then I slowly started believing in spirits, and energy and believed when we die our energy is simply transferred into the world around us, and we become one with the universe once again.

Nowadays, I believe more in reincarnation. Not so much in a sense that if you do right in this life, you're next life will be a better one but more along the lines of we are stuck in this reality for eternity, doomed to repeat life over, and over again.

le win absolu quoi

classieux as Gainsbarre would say

Love on the beat beat beat %)

I wonder if we get a taste of the afterlife everytime we go to sleep. That when we achieve deep sleep, our souls depart our body for an 8 hour pass in heaven so to speak. And then our memories of the experience are stripped away before we wake up.